Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

PH's fire the coach thread.

18 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Maybe it is just easier to recruit to Ames. 

There's not many distractions in Ames, that's for sure.  Unless folks have a thing for corn and tornadoes.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:00 PM, masterfrog said:

On 3/18/2022 at 7:34 PM, rebelcuff said:

Where were some of these high level transfers when he was in Vegas? Guy recruited terrible here.

He had 4 star Arthur Kaluma coming in who ended up at Crieghton lighting up SDSU as a true freshman and 5-star PG Zaon Collins who accidentally killed a dude in an accident because he was speeding.... Unlucky! 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

5 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

He had 4 star Arthur Kaluma coming in who ended up at Crieghton lighting up SDSU as a true freshman and 5-star PG Zaon Collins who accidentally killed a dude in an accident because he was speeding.... Unlucky! 

That second recruiting class was void of talent.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:00 PM, masterfrog said:

Maybe he was already recruiting to Ames, his best friend told him early on he was going to be the next coach. Prohm getting only 2 wins just made it that much easier.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:03 AM, Rebels18 said:

Otz probably couldn't genuinely close kids on Vegas when he obviously wasn't sold on Vegas himself. 

Otz didn’t recruit by himself. We kept most of the staff that was involved in that recruiting period. Mostly because Kruger just doesn’t have enough connections to put a staff together.  

If Hartman didn’t join Kruger jr or Lon didn’t retire then UNLV would be in a heap of trouble recruiting/ talent wise. Frankly, UNLV should have hired him as head coach instead of Kruger.  More experience and a ton of connections. How he is ok with working for a guy that only needed two years as an assistant to land a head coaching job, I’ll never know. 

I thought it was telling when Otz just went to Ames, Iowa by himself. Didn’t take anyone on the staff with him. Only allowed a role player in Grill to rejoin the team. I suspect he wasn’t too happy with the development of certain players and the staff not getting enough out of those guys. 

Didn’t even want Jenkins, who bombed out at UNLV or Slocum.  Both headed off to Utah, they aren’t doing too hot there with a 11-20 campaign.

The plan under Otz at UNLV was to build a roster comprised of 4 year players that can shoot & pass, with some nba talent sprinkled in. Unfortunately the combination of poor development & high level talent reneging on UNLV has doomed the program to this point. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Rosegreen said:

Otz didn’t recruit by himself. We kept most of the staff that was involved in that recruiting period. Mostly because Kruger just doesn’t have enough connections to put a staff together.  

If Hartman didn’t join Kruger jr or Lon didn’t retire then UNLV would be in a heap of trouble recruiting/ talent wise. Frankly, UNLV should have hired him as head coach instead of Kruger.  More experience and a ton of connections. How he is ok with working for a guy that only needed two years as an assistant to land a head coaching job, I’ll never know. 

I thought it was telling when Otz just went to Ames, Iowa by himself. Didn’t take anyone on the staff with him. Only allowed a role player in Grill to rejoin the team. I suspect he wasn’t too happy with the development of certain players and the staff not getting enough out of those guys. 

Didn’t even want Jenkins, who bombed out at UNLV or Slocum.  Both headed off to Utah, they aren’t doing too hot there with a 11-20 campaign.

The plan under Otz at UNLV was to build a roster comprised of 4 year players that can shoot & pass, with some nba talent sprinkled in. Unfortunately the combination of poor development & high level talent reneging on UNLV has doomed the program to this point. 

I think Kevin Kruger will do better at recruiting as time goes on.  He proved me wrong on coaching ability as the season went on.

I was impressed with the play he drew up for Bryce Hamilton at the end of the MWCT game against Wyoming.

12 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I think Kevin Kruger will do better at recruiting as time goes on.  He proved me wrong on coaching ability as the season went on.

I was impressed with the play he drew up for Bryce Hamilton at the end of the MWCT game against Wyoming.

No evidence to support this thus far. Kruger has brought in bum a** McCabe and that's it. Hartman is the one bringing guys in and Chappell to a lesser extent.

How ironic. Waffleburger upsets 3 seed Wisconsin to get to the Sweet 16 (remember the last time that happened?)

Waffleburger, Cronin, and possibly Beard if he wins tonight may all be in the Sweet 16 while UNLV is an also ran in the pathetic MW conference. You can't make this up.

Next year I predict Mediocre Marv finally gets hired somewhere and makes a shocking Elite 8 run to complete the circle of hell.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 3/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

How ironic. Waffleburger upsets 3 seed Wisconsin to get to the Sweet 16 (remember the last time that happened?)

Waffleburger, Cronin, and possibly Beard if he wins tonight may all be in the Sweet 16 while UNLV is an also ran in the pathetic MW conference. You can't make this up.

Next year I predict Mediocre Marv finally gets hired somewhere and makes a shocking Elite 8 run to complete the circle of hell.

UNLV will be in the PAC-12 one day.  We will also get better leadership and less politics one day.  If you say it enough, it becomes true.

On 3/20/2022 at 5:54 PM, ph90702 said:

UNLV will be in the PAC-12 one day.  We will also get better leadership and less politics one day.  If you say it enough, it becomes true.

UNLV's woke liberal identity is the only identity they care about. Athletics are an afterthought.

We lost our mascot because western trailblazer/mountaineers are racist now somehow. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

UNLV's woke liberal identity is the only identity they care about. Athletics are an afterthought.

We lost our mascot because western trailblazer/mountaineers are racist now somehow. 

This sort of shit is going on every college campus outside of like Liberty. It’s not a UNLV only thing lol and I don’t think it’s something affecting athletics significantly to the point where it gives one program an advantage over another.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

13 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

This sort of shit is going on every college campus outside of like Liberty. It’s not a UNLV only thing lol and I don’t think it’s something affecting athletics significantly to the point where it gives one program an advantage over another.

We do have no mascot at all now tho, which is extraordinarily generic. Probably not a huge affect on recruiting but I bet recruits would rather go to a school with a mascot/ emblem other than generic lettering. 

I just got a new car and got a UNLV license plate, but it just came with just the generic letters and no logo. Now whenever I see a car with the old UNLV plates with Hey Reb I wish I had had that option.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

One thing that has become abundantly clear from reading this thread is that Otz is a terrible coach that could in no way have taken a 2 win team and turned them into a Sweet 16 team in one year. That was cuz of other coaches and weird ju ju and luck and shit.

Also, UNLV's culture is amazing. The school always has been and always will be a national power and Otz was an impediment to that with his terrible recruiting. Lon Kruger's kid is going to bring the Rebs back to the promised land. He's just one of an amazing line of coaches sons who are superior to their more famous dads: Rick Pitino, John Thompson III, Scott Sutton. The list goes on and on...

10 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Also, UNLV's culture is amazing. The school always has been and always will be a national power and Otz was an impediment to that with his terrible recruiting. Lon Kruger's kid is going to bring the Rebs back to the promised land. He's just one of an amazing line of coaches sons who are superior to their more famous dads: Rick Pitino, John Thompson III, Scott Sutton. The list goes on and on...

waterboy-spoon.gif