Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Any rock hounds?

5 minutes ago, Billings said:

The source of the Columbia basin geology with the erratics and the hanging waterfalls was long debated until they figured out the Sediment beds by Missoula, Montana.  Which confirmed the existence of glacial lake Missoula.  The first guy to propose it was ridiculed until another geologist did the homework by Missoula to explain the large influx of water all at once.

That was in the lecture!  So fun.   Well part of it, the OG being ridiculed is new info to me, thanks.  

9 minutes ago, Billings said:

The source of the Columbia basin geology with the erratics and the hanging waterfalls was long debated until they figured out the Sediment beds by Missoula, Montana.  Which confirmed the existence of glacial lake Missoula.  The first guy to propose it was ridiculed until another geologist did the homework by Missoula to explain the large influx of water all at once.

One of my most favorite Nova episodes ever.  I was already in love with the PNW but this episode sent me out exploring!

11 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

One of my most favorite Nova episodes ever.  I was already in love with the PNW but this episode sent me out exploring!

That is the guy. Bretz.  Too Bad Pardee kept his mouth shut at the meeting.  How Pardee figured out the ripple marks without an aerial view is amazing.   They feared Bretz was talking about a biblical flood idea.  Could have been up to 36 separate floods.  Much like Plate tectonics there was a hole in the original hypothesis that left too much unexplained.

I have shown this video in my HS geology class btw.  Good Stuff

Check for Rockhounding books on Amazon. They are out by state and have naps to sites with descriptions. 

Also Roadside Geology books by state. 

There's jasper just SW of here, opal over the border in Nevada. Lots of good stuff in Nevada. Old mine with Fluorite north of the Berlin-Icthyasaurus park. Lots of agata and jasper.

One of the Final Five..........

Found this just south of the fluorite mine. Sucker weighs more than a 20# bag of cat litter. More than a foot across. You have NO IDEA how long it took me to drag that sucker a half mile to my truck.

20211203_225728.jpg

One of the Final Five..........