Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

If SDSU sneaks into an Access bowl who does the LA bowl take?

I honstely think a 12-1 SDSU would get the access bowl bid over a 12-1 Houston. So SDSU just needs to beat USU and have Houston pull off the upset over Cincinnati.

If that does happen can the LA bowl take whoever they want? Or do they have to take USU since they were the runner up?

If I were the LA bowl and ucla isnt the Pac 12 representive I would take Fresno. If ucla is the team I would probably go with BSU but would also consider Nevada and their star power.

Even if UCinn loses they won’t fall below the Aztecs in the ratings. UCinn gets a NY6 bowl even if they lose. The Aztecs should beat USU and will be the LA Bowl choice because of proximity. Their opponent will be interesting. It won’t be Oregon or Utah so that leaves WSU, UCLA, OSU, or ASU. My guess is it will be ASU although UCLA would be the preferable opponent. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Even if UCinn loses they won’t fall below the Aztecs in the ratings. UCinn gets a NY6 bowl even if they lose. 

If Cincinnati loses they can't get a NY6 bowl berth.  The G5 slot goes to the highest ranked conference champion and they wouldn't be the AAC champion.  Assuming they both win their respective title games, the eligible candidates from the AAC and MWC would be Houston and SDSU.

Having said that, I don't see any scenario in which SDSU gets the NY6 bowl over Houston.  Houston is already ranked ahead of SDSU, and a Houston win over Cincinnati would carry more weight than an SDSU win over USU.

1 minute ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

If Cincinnati loses they can't get a NY6 bowl berth.  The G5 slot goes to the highest ranked conference champion and they wouldn't be the AAC champion.  Assuming they both win their respective title games, the eligible candidates from the AAC and MWC would be Houston and SDSU.

I believe you are right. In that case SDSU has a shot although I think UCinn is going to beat Houston. 

20 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Having said that, I don't see any scenario in which SDSU gets the NY6 bowl over Houston.  Houston is already ranked ahead of SDSU, and a Houston win over Cincinnati would carry more weight than an SDSU win over USU.

SDSU is ranked ahead of houston in the only poll that matters.

Also I should have added utah needs to beat oregon again.

At that point sdsu best win would be a pac-12 champion Utah. Sdsu would also have a better loss to 9-3 Fresno. 

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What if Cincy gets into the playoff somehow?  Does that count for the access bowl slot, meaning that slow would go to a P5 at large, or will a G5 team still get it?

That will be our access bowl bid. No way do they give the little 5 two bids. 

37 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What if Cincy gets into the playoff somehow?  Does that count for the access bowl slot, meaning that slow would go to a P5 at large, or will a G5 team still get it?

The playoff counts as a NY6 game so the G5 would not get an additional team into one of the other NY6 games.

23 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

They're giving the winner of Pitt and Wake an access bowl slot though?

No.  Cotton, Fiesta and Peach are the 'Access Bowls', as they have no conference affiliations.  The ACC champ has a contract with the Orange Bowl, which will be an 11 win team.  As the Orange and Cotton are semifinals this year the ACC champ gets placed in the pool for selection.  Same thing happens when the Sugar (SEC/B12) and Rose (B10/P12) are semifinals.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

If Cincinnati loses to Houston, they can still get an at-large bid to the NY6 if they are ranked high enough.

1 minute ago, Pelado said:

If Cincinnati loses to Houston, they can still get an at-large bid to the NY6 if they are ranked high enough.

True, but it wouldn't be the contracted G5 slot. It's unlikely though. If Cincy loses to Houston they'll drop like a rock.

I honestly can’t see a scenario where SDSU gets the NY6 bid. Obviously it all depends on how much of a “lead” the Aztecs have on Houston in the CFP poll this afternoon but I doubt it will be enough to overcome the jump the Cougars would take if they manage to knock off Cincy. No I think SDSU is either in the LA Bowl or somehow matched up with Houston (or possibly UC) in another bowl.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

1 minute ago, AZdogFan said:

True, but it wouldn't be the contracted G5 slot. It's unlikely though. If Cincy loses to Houston they'll drop like a rock.

They would drop, but if they're at #10 or better, they probably get an at-large.  At #11 or worse, they're likely out since the ACC and Pac-12 champs could be taking NY6 spots despite being ranked worse.

1 minute ago, albert mac meda said:

I honestly can’t see a scenario where SDSU gets the NY6 bid. Obviously it all depends on how much of a “lead” the Aztecs have on Houston in the CFP poll this afternoon but I doubt it will be enough to overcome the jump the Cougars would take if they manage to knock off Cincy. No I think SDSU is either in the LA Bowl or somehow matched up with Houston (or possibly UC) in another bowl.

I tend to agree that the G5 spot will probably go to either Cincinnati or Houston. SDSU's best chance is probably blowing out Utah State and Houston narrowly defeating Cincinnati. 

2 minutes ago, albert mac meda said:

No way in HELL two G5s manage to get into the NY6.

The only year the little 5 got two bids was back in the bcs days when they matched up bsu vs tcu. But honstely I think they largely did that cause they knew both of those teams we capable of beating a big power so they just gave them both bids to avoid that potential embarrassment.

6 minutes ago, Pelado said:

I tend to agree that the G5 spot will probably go to either Cincinnati or Houston. SDSU's best chance is probably blowing out Utah State and Houston narrowly defeating Cincinnati. 

I think that’s literally the ONLY chance SDSU has. Say if they just curb stomp the Aggs (52-3 or something) and Houston squeaks by UC in a highly controversial way (or something). But unless SDSU somehow extends their lead significantly in the “poll” (which I don’t see happening) I think the chances are 1) Slim and 2) None.

If only the Aztecs could find a way to beat Boise and Fresno in the same season…

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

2 hours ago, RSF said:

No.  Cotton, Fiesta and Peach are the 'Access Bowls', as they have no conference affiliations.  The ACC champ has a contract with the Orange Bowl, which will be an 11 win team.  As the Orange and Cotton are semifinals this year the ACC champ gets placed in the pool for selection.  Same thing happens when the Sugar (SEC/B12) and Rose (B10/P12) are semifinals.

I believe that the Orange Bowl has the option of picking Notre Dame rather than the ACC champion. But I think that the ACC champion is guaranteed a NY6 bowl bid somewhere if the Orange Bowl doesn't take them.