Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EvilPoke

Why can't we announce bowl bids yet?

31 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

What a great message to send to the team and current players on the roster...we aren't interested in spending any money on you and you are not going to get the same perks that players of every other bowl eligible team in the country get.  I'm sure that can only enhance recruiting and convince our good players to stay in the days of college free agency.

Unless teams go to one of the really big bowls teams don't make money off of bowl games or just break even.  While the MWC bowl tie ins are not great and the games obviously don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things I always enjoy going to the bowl games (except the potato bowl).  The biggest plus of going to a bowl game is the amount of extra practices that teams get.  It is especially valuable for the younger players to get a bunch of extra practice reps they would not have gotten.  It is basically close to another spring ball in terms of practice time especially for younger developing players.

5 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Unless teams go to one of the really big bowls teams don't make money off of bowl games or just break even.  While the MWC bowl tie ins are not great and the games obviously don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things I always enjoy going to the bowl games (except the potato bowl).  The biggest plus of going to a bowl game is the amount of extra practices that teams get.  It is especially valuable for the younger players to get a bunch of extra practice reps they would not have gotten.  It is basically close to another spring ball in terms of practice time especially for younger developing players.

I agree.  Wyoming is a 'veteran' team so I am not sure how beneficial the extra practices will be...but players generally like the experience and all the free stuff that they get from the bowl games. If Wyoming goes to the New Mexico Bowl, I will probably go again because I've enjoyed my previous experiences there and it's a quick affordable trip.

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

I agree.  Wyoming is a 'veteran' team so I am not sure how beneficial the extra practices will be...but players generally like the experience and all the free stuff that they get from the bowl games. If Wyoming goes to the New Mexico Bowl, I will probably go again because I've enjoyed my previous experiences there and it's a quick affordable trip.

I have enjoyed the 2 times the Aggies have went to the NM bowl.  We left a few days early and did some hiking in the Moab.  We then took some detours through Ouray and Telluride which are some of the most beautiful drives in my opinion.

1 hour ago, OrediggerPoke said:

What a great message to send to the team and current players on the roster...we aren't interested in spending any money on you and you are not going to get the same perks that players of every other bowl eligible team in the country get.  I'm sure that can only enhance recruiting and convince our good players to stay in the days of college free agency.

Similar to the same message the "players" sent to the fanbase.  So WYO should reward them for not caring.  Got it.  On the other hand, if they came out with some desire to win, and showed they care, I would feel different.  But there are 4 games (at least) they played flat and uninspiring football (AFA, New Mexico, Fresno, and Hawaii).  For that, they get rewarded with what they deserve.  Not everyone should get a trophy IMO.  

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Heard it’s Memphis vs. WYO in Hawaii.

That would be a good move.  That way, attendance figures (lack of) can't be blamed on an apathetic fanbase and team that doesn't give a shit to play decent football, similar to what WYO looked like at HOMECOMING and SENIOR DAY.  

6 minutes ago, Iam4wyo said:

Similar to the same message the "players" sent to the fanbase.  So WYO should reward them for not caring.  Got it.  On the other hand, if they came out with some desire to win, and showed they care, I would feel different.  But there are 4 games (at least) they played flat and uninspiring football (AFA, New Mexico, Fresno, and Hawaii).  For that, they get rewarded with what they deserve.  Not everyone should get a trophy IMO.  

That's BS.  These players have not quit and largely do give a damn. We may not like the result but throwing the players under the bus and accusing them of packing it in is a load of shit.

3 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

That's BS.  These players have not quit and largely do give a damn. We may not like the result but throwing the players under the bus and accusing them of packing it in is a load of shit.

Yay!  6-6 again and another meaningless bowl after buying in yet again to the "Those who stay will be champions" promise of the deepest, most experienced, talented team in Wyoming history.

Hard pass.......

If the players aren't inspired to leave it all on the field, then that is a coaching issue and the entire lot should be shown the door.....

7 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

6-6 with 2 conference wins should not be rewarded.  

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

2 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Graham got his wish and pulled strings. NCAA added another bowl game in Texas. Hawaii to play Memphis in the Hawaii Bowl

well except a few of Hawaii's key  players entered the portal and won't be able to play

On 12/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Can't be worse than NMSU telling their football players to bring bag lunches to practice with them