Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Is Covid ever going away?

On 11/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, SharkTanked said:

Same reason many don't get a flu vaccine. Most healthy people in their prime have nothing to worry about in getting the flu, and my point is that in the future it will be the same with the Rona. It will be indistinguishable from the common cold or common flu. It will get there before too long I think.

It’s pretty clear COVID-19 and it’s associated variants are significantly more dangerous than the flu

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Anti-Vaccine broadcaster Marcus Lamb dies after contracting Covid-19. He was 64.

https://news.yahoo.com/anti-vaccine-christian-broadcaster-marcus-224434365.html

10 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

sToP wItH ThE SiLlY MaSk TaLk

This is just going to become more commonplace over time, especially in certain areas of social interaction in society 

Can you imagine a society where if kids are sick the parents keep them home, or at least have them wear a mask to school and keep others from getting sick?  Where people actually care enough about others to mask up when/if they don't feel well.  Just imagine..........

4 hours ago, toonkee said:

She toed the party line there.  Meanwhile:  Severe cases of omnicrom are being reported and it is out competing Delta showing it is more contagious. https://www.reuters.com/world/us-tightens-covid-19-travel-rules-countries-race-quell-omicron-threat-2021-12-01/

34 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The limited studies I've seen on this variant have shown that it seems to be mild.

do mild variants push out more dangerous ones by bumping up immunity while being infectious?

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Got an ICU full of kids with COVID, man. 

It's all good until it's your kid.

dont worry he'll just shoot grandma and make it all better then

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, happycamper said:

do mild variants push out more dangerous ones by bumping up immunity while being infectious?

dont worry he'll just shoot grandma and make it all better then

Those people would have all died anyways, I've heard.

It's funny, the data is limited that I've seen so far with it being new. It doesn't seem to be crazy, but it seems to be more contagious.

I'm just hoping it calms down over time as more and more people are infected with similar things and more people get vaccinated.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Billings said:

She toed the party line there.  Meanwhile:  Severe cases of omnicrom are being reported and it is out competing Delta showing it is more contagious. https://www.reuters.com/world/us-tightens-covid-19-travel-rules-countries-race-quell-omicron-threat-2021-12-01/

I’m not sure that she’s toeing a party line. There’s early  evidence that it’s more transmissible but I haven’t read anywhere that it’s more severe than Delta and there haven’t been any reported deaths from Omicron. There’s early data that shows the Pfizer vaccine is almost as effective vs Omicron as with Delta.

4 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I’m not sure that she’s toeing a party line. There’s early  evidence that it’s more transmissible but I haven’t read anywhere that it’s more severe than Delta and there haven’t been any reported deaths from Omicron. There’s early data that shows the Pfizer vaccine is almost as effective vs Omicron as with Delta.

true but South Africa has less than 5% of its population over 60 so not a good tests bed for the rest of the world.  I also have not read more severe but might be as severe once we see it in a population more reflecting the world.    I read the Pfizer piece from Israel.  That was good news.

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

Not sure your of your personal practices with your kids, but unless your child is already PROFOUNDLY ill, and you worry one iota about your child getting severely ill with covid you have lost all rationality.

The incidence of hospitalization in children and adolescents sits at about 50/100,000. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7036e2.htm

The incidence of child pedestrians struck by cars - currently, about 0.3/100,000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/14/theres-never-been-a-safer-time-to-be-a-kid-in-america/

I still tell my daughters to look both ways before crossing the street, and don't let them cross busy streets without holding hands. I bet you do the same.

The stranger kidnapping rate is approximately 0.5/100,000. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wisconsin-missinggirl-data/kidnapped-children-make-headlines-but-abduction-is-rare-in-u-s-idUSKCN1P52BJ

I still tell my daughters to say something if a stranger tries to take them. I am guessing you do, too. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

Where did you see the news about Pfizer being almost as effective.  That's great news if it holds.  It also might help calm the markets in the days ahead.  

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/covid-1st-data-about-vaccine-efficacy-against-omicron-expected-tuesday-687392?fbclid=IwAR0NAbaQ5o3Xbc1otbldn2Dg9JXgonvoHnGpPv4jO5KUn0cL2LUbuga8CYs

Later in the evening, a report by Channel 12 said the Pfizer vaccine is just slightly less effective in preventing infection with Omicron than with Delta – 90% as opposed to 95% – while it is as effective – around 93% – in preventing serious symptoms at least for those vaccinated with a booster.

According to the report, the ability of the variant to infect is higher than Delta but not as much as feared – around 1.3 times higher.

16 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

It’s pretty clear COVID-19 and it’s associated variants are significantly more dangerous than the flu

Yes at this point. My suspicion is that won't always be the case. The Spanish Flu was much more deadly than the current flu. As an example. I have no idea if the Rona will follow a similar evolutionary path, but we have historical examples of this happening.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Yes at this point. My suspicion is that won't always be the case. The Spanish Flu was much more deadly than the current flu. As an example. I have no idea if the Rona will follow a similar evolutionary path, but we have historical examples of this happening.

what mild form of the flu did Spanish flu mutate from?  Cuts both ways