Jump to content
Warbow

Is Covid ever going away?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I agree and I believe that mRNA vaccines are honestly a modern miracle of medicine. mRNA will be integral in the fight against many other pathogens from now on.

mRNA vaccines feels like the equivalent of the jump from the transistor to the microprocessor. But they are also very new so it is hard to say if the potential is truly unlimited.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Seems like either viruses become too lethal and burn themselves out or they de-evolve into less lethal endemic strains. I'm no virologist, but that only follows logically. 

If I were to guess, I would say we are on the downslope after Delta. The key isn't vaccinations, that was only to buy us time to develop the anti-virals to kick its ass. It seems like we are very close to that.

But yes, I think we will be left with strains like the common cold. There may be pan-vaccines, but they will only really be necessary for the elderly and at-risk. The gen pop will come down with it like the cold and be fine. Or if they want they can take a pan-vaccine which is just like another flu shot.

There will certainly bea lot to learn from the global response to this. And then it will be forgotten until it comes back round again.

Of course their have been flu viruses which are more dangerous to youngsters

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Seems like either viruses become too lethal and burn themselves out or they de-evolve into less lethal endemic strains. I'm no virologist, but that only follows logically. 

If I were to guess, I would say we are on the downslope after Delta. The key isn't vaccinations, that was only to buy us time to develop the anti-virals to kick its ass. It seems like we are very close to that.

But yes, I think we will be left with strains like the common cold. There may be pan-vaccines, but they will only really be necessary for the elderly and at-risk. The gen pop will come down with it like the cold and be fine. Or if they want they can take a pan-vaccine which is just like another flu shot.

There will certainly bea lot to learn from the global response to this. And then it will be forgotten until it comes back round again.

Why on earth would you not get a pan corona vaccine?  Goodness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Why on earth would you not get a pan corona vaccine?  Goodness.

 

Same reason many don't get a flu vaccine. Most healthy people in their prime have nothing to worry about in getting the flu, and my point is that in the future it will be the same with the Rona. It will be indistinguishable from the common cold or common flu. It will get there before too long I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billings said:

Of course their have been flu viruses which are more dangerous to youngsters

And there always will be. And there will some new 'Rona-esque pandemic in another generation too. Maybe they will speed up and it will become more commonplace? Another side effect of climate change? Or overpopulation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Same reason many don't get a flu virus. Most healthy people in their prime have nothing to worry about in getting the flu, and my point is that in the future it will be the same with the Rona. It will be indistinguishable from the common cold or common flu. It will get there before too long I think.

So no good reason not to?  And unlike the flu vaccine, you won't need one every year.  That's the point.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

And there always will be. And there will some new 'Rona-esque pandemic in another generation too. Maybe they will speed up and it will become more commonplace? Another side effect of climate change? Or overpopulation?

Maybe. And maybe the arms race between viruses and mRNA could spark something new? Who knows what comes next honestly.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So no good reason not to?  And unlike the flu vaccine, you won't need one every year.  That's the point.

 

No good reason not to. I think even a pan-vaccine will need an annual software update. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Stop with silly mask talk

 

14 hours ago, Maji said:

People in the United States aren't going to wear masks forever

There should be heel bad guy WWE wrestler called Mask Mandater.  Think of how mad that arena would get. Hilarious.

  • Haha 3
  • Troll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Stop with silly mask talk

how many non-covid illnesses did you get in the last 18 months? :hmmm:

people used to make fun of washing hands after pooping and bathing more than once a month too. And now that's just part of modern hygienic norms - we know that they're to prevent disease, but it's the cultural norms that make us continue doing them.

I don't think that masks and social distancing will follow up in their stead. But it is not out of the realm of impossibility. 

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happycamper said:

how many non-covid illnesses did you get in the last 18 months? :hmmm:

people used to make fun of washing hands after pooping and bathing more than once a month too. And now that's just part of modern hygienic norms - we know that they're to prevent disease, but it's the cultural norms that make us continue doing them.

I don't think that masks and social distancing will follow up in their stead. But it is not out of the realm of impossibility. 

If I ever have to go back into an office environment with dozens of other people I maybe consider wearing a mask and avoiding things like handshakes during cold and flu season, which is crazy to think about considering I used to pride myself on my handshake compared to other millennials and gen z'ers, and showing off my pretty face.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If I ever have to go back into an office environment with dozens of other people I maybe consider wearing a mask and avoiding things like handshakes during cold and flu season, which is crazy to think about considering I used to pride myself on my handshake compared to other millennials and gen z'ers, and showing off my pretty face.  

 

30 minutes ago, Maji said:

Heh. Hiding the face is one of the pros of masking

Forget Jewish space lasers.  Rona is a conspiracy by the fat and ugly against the pretty to make everyone stay home,  wear masks,  and close gyms.  "The great equalizer!"

  • Cheers 2
  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2021 at 9:35 PM, Maji said:

People in the United States aren't going to wear masks forever

They are if they would like to receive medical care in my clinic, and at no point did I state we should wear masks in every situation. Go read it again

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If I ever have to go back into an office environment with dozens of other people I maybe consider wearing a mask and avoiding things like handshakes during cold and flu season, which is crazy to think about considering I used to pride myself on my handshake compared to other millennials and gen z'ers, and showing off my pretty face.  

I’m done shaking hands forever

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...