Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Is Covid ever going away?

2 minutes ago, CV147 said:

I agree and I believe that mRNA vaccines are honestly a modern miracle of medicine. mRNA will be integral in the fight against many other pathogens from now on.

mRNA vaccines feels like the equivalent of the jump from the transistor to the microprocessor. But they are also very new so it is hard to say if the potential is truly unlimited.

18 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Seems like either viruses become too lethal and burn themselves out or they de-evolve into less lethal endemic strains. I'm no virologist, but that only follows logically. 

If I were to guess, I would say we are on the downslope after Delta. The key isn't vaccinations, that was only to buy us time to develop the anti-virals to kick its ass. It seems like we are very close to that.

But yes, I think we will be left with strains like the common cold. There may be pan-vaccines, but they will only really be necessary for the elderly and at-risk. The gen pop will come down with it like the cold and be fine. Or if they want they can take a pan-vaccine which is just like another flu shot.

There will certainly bea lot to learn from the global response to this. And then it will be forgotten until it comes back round again.

Of course their have been flu viruses which are more dangerous to youngsters

18 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Seems like either viruses become too lethal and burn themselves out or they de-evolve into less lethal endemic strains. I'm no virologist, but that only follows logically. 

If I were to guess, I would say we are on the downslope after Delta. The key isn't vaccinations, that was only to buy us time to develop the anti-virals to kick its ass. It seems like we are very close to that.

But yes, I think we will be left with strains like the common cold. There may be pan-vaccines, but they will only really be necessary for the elderly and at-risk. The gen pop will come down with it like the cold and be fine. Or if they want they can take a pan-vaccine which is just like another flu shot.

There will certainly bea lot to learn from the global response to this. And then it will be forgotten until it comes back round again.

Why on earth would you not get a pan corona vaccine?  Goodness.

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Why on earth would you not get a pan corona vaccine?  Goodness.

Same reason many don't get a flu vaccine. Most healthy people in their prime have nothing to worry about in getting the flu, and my point is that in the future it will be the same with the Rona. It will be indistinguishable from the common cold or common flu. It will get there before too long I think.

3 minutes ago, Billings said:

Of course their have been flu viruses which are more dangerous to youngsters

And there always will be. And there will some new 'Rona-esque pandemic in another generation too. Maybe they will speed up and it will become more commonplace? Another side effect of climate change? Or overpopulation?

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

Same reason many don't get a flu virus. Most healthy people in their prime have nothing to worry about in getting the flu, and my point is that in the future it will be the same with the Rona. It will be indistinguishable from the common cold or common flu. It will get there before too long I think.

So no good reason not to?  And unlike the flu vaccine, you won't need one every year.  That's the point.

1 minute ago, SharkTanked said:

And there always will be. And there will some new 'Rona-esque pandemic in another generation too. Maybe they will speed up and it will become more commonplace? Another side effect of climate change? Or overpopulation?

Maybe. And maybe the arms race between viruses and mRNA could spark something new? Who knows what comes next honestly.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

So no good reason not to?  And unlike the flu vaccine, you won't need one every year.  That's the point.

No good reason not to. I think even a pan-vaccine will need an annual software update. 

11 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Stop with silly mask talk

14 hours ago, Maji said:

People in the United States aren't going to wear masks forever

There should be heel bad guy WWE wrestler called Mask Mandater.  Think of how mad that arena would get. Hilarious.

13 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Stop with silly mask talk

how many non-covid illnesses did you get in the last 18 months? :hmmm:

people used to make fun of washing hands after pooping and bathing more than once a month too. And now that's just part of modern hygienic norms - we know that they're to prevent disease, but it's the cultural norms that make us continue doing them.

I don't think that masks and social distancing will follow up in their stead. But it is not out of the realm of impossibility. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

how many non-covid illnesses did you get in the last 18 months? :hmmm:

people used to make fun of washing hands after pooping and bathing more than once a month too. And now that's just part of modern hygienic norms - we know that they're to prevent disease, but it's the cultural norms that make us continue doing them.

I don't think that masks and social distancing will follow up in their stead. But it is not out of the realm of impossibility. 

If I ever have to go back into an office environment with dozens of other people I maybe consider wearing a mask and avoiding things like handshakes during cold and flu season, which is crazy to think about considering I used to pride myself on my handshake compared to other millennials and gen z'ers, and showing off my pretty face.  

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If I ever have to go back into an office environment with dozens of other people I maybe consider wearing a mask and avoiding things like handshakes during cold and flu season, which is crazy to think about considering I used to pride myself on my handshake compared to other millennials and gen z'ers, and showing off my pretty face.  

30 minutes ago, Maji said:

Heh. Hiding the face is one of the pros of masking

Forget Jewish space lasers.  Rona is a conspiracy by the fat and ugly against the pretty to make everyone stay home,  wear masks,  and close gyms.  "The great equalizer!"

Posted Image

On 11/29/2021 at 1:52 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I’m done shaking hands forever

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg