Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Quick , name your favorite Alice in Chains song

I got a Nutshell story. My band had a gig for an acoustic/mellow night at this bar. We weren't a mellow band but a gig's a gig so we kind of decided to pare down to a Jar of Flies type sound. Well, since we decided that was to be our vibe we learned Nutshell for our set. Long story short we get to the place and the opening band is playing Nutshell. We were like aw come on really? we worked on that just for this gig, man. So we played it anyway. In fact I think we opened with it. The other band was cool and we all had a laugh. Our version was better.

It's been so long, is the title Snuff the Rooster?

I honestly can't pick a favorite. And I can't say there is a song of their's that isn't out-+++++in-standing. Seriously they did not have a bad song (at least as long as Lane Staley lived). I think they are what Nirvana would've ended up being (RIP Kurt). Lane Staley had the most haunting, piercing and melodic voice all at once. I cant think of a single voice that he compares to. Maybe the closest is Johnny Cash? Just a voice that grabs your soul. 

When I think of what "grunge" really was, I think of AIC. I think they were the true core of grunge. The others were just in their orbit.

Gun to my head, "Man in the Box" was my intro to the band, so though I have no favorite, I guess it is more sentimental for me than the others.

ETA: So this thread made me go down the rabbit hole and ended up on Lane Staley's wikipedia... I just say... WTF?

Staley joined a rhythm band in Bellevue when he was two or three years old, and was the youngest in the group.[16] At nine years old, he wrote in his Dr. Seuss book, All About Me, that he wanted to be a singer.

dancing baby GIF