Jump to content
Billings

SO much for Biden admin stopping oil and gas leasing

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Cheyenne has not been NIMBY...I'd actually argue that Cheyenne and LEADS have gone above and beyond to try and attract business.  If you didn't know, check out the new data centers and crypto headquarters to be located in Cheyenne that were just announced last week.  

Crypto and data centers?! Man Crypto is just a mirror of energy extraction and data centers don't exactly have a ton of jobs per center. Those are not high value industries to keep people. 

 Cheyenne was positioned after WW2 to be what CO springs turned into. Better located for transportation, better airport location for period airliners, lots of space. They deliberately did not grow. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

that's not the governments issue.  That's the incredible idiocy of the local populace.  All the boomers in Cheyenne didn't want growth, they were terrified Cheyenne would turn into the front range in CO and wanted fewer people there.  Except not a single one of them figured out that if you aren't growing you aren't going to keep people in the state especially youth.  The state made a huge deal that Wyoming's biggest export was it's youth for 10 years and not a single one of them gave a shit.  Well now they don't have anyone to run everything including nursing homes and assisted living facilities that they now need.  

agree to some extent.  Years ago a soup plant wanted to relocate to Wyoming but they locals said no.  Would cause too many problems with so many new people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Billings said:

agree to some extent.  Years ago a soup plant wanted to relocate to Wyoming but they locals said no.  Would cause too many problems with so many new people.

OTOH if that were a coal gasification plant... :hmmm:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, OrediggerPoke said:

Diversify to what?  Wyoming has passed every law imaginable to be favorable to the location of a wide array of businesses.  Wyoming is the leader in crypto legislation.  Wyoming is as business friendly as it comes.  It turns out, however, that large companies are unable to acquire the necessary workforce in Wyoming and largely locate elsewhere and in urban centers.

 

Wyoming has a wider array of natural resources than virtually any other place on Earth.  Wyoming will always be a state that survives and exists on its natural resources (including oil, gas, uranium, trona, bentonites, rare earths, coal, wind, solar, geothermal, pore space, etc...)

passing laws versus investing funds and driving tax dollars to work is a different issue.  Mead and the last gov were all about saving coal.  Sure the  laws were passed but that is about it.  The Wyoming plan of saying come here we have low taxes was weak at best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Billings said:

agree to some extent.  Years ago a soup plant wanted to relocate to Wyoming but they locals said no.  Would cause too many problems with so many new people.

I lived it.  I'd listen to my parents friends all bitch that there were too many people moving to Cheyenne and that they needed to quit coming as it was turning the city into Fort Collins....  This "massive growth" was an additional 8,000 people over 10 years...  There was limited new home construction, few restaurants, and few jobs especially for college graduates.  Most of my graduating class left and never returned.  That's not sustainable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I lived it.  I'd listen to my parents friends all bitch that there were too many people moving to Cheyenne and that they needed to quit coming as it was turning the city into Fort Collins....  This "massive growth" was an additional 8,000 people over 10 years...  There was limited new home construction, few restaurants, and few jobs especially for college graduates.  Most of my graduating class left and never returned.  That's not sustainable.

I hear that.  No reason for Cheyenne and Laramie to have not seen additional growth.   Several Areas of the State could have grown had the locals wanted it and had we had pushed for the right type of growth.  Fund a small meat packing plant or attract an osteopathic med school like Billings did, There were and are options.  It was coal or bust.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

I lived it.  I'd listen to my parents friends all bitch that there were too many people moving to Cheyenne and that they needed to quit coming as it was turning the city into Fort Collins....  This "massive growth" was an additional 8,000 people over 10 years...  There was limited new home construction, few restaurants, and few jobs especially for college graduates.  Most of my graduating class left and never returned.  That's not sustainable.

Yeah. "Too much growth" in Wyoming is "literally just the kids of the adults can stay in that town". 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yeah. "Too much growth" in Wyoming is "literally just the kids of the adults can stay in that town". 

More like half the kids of the adults in that town can stay.....  They made their bed....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

More like half the kids of the adults in that town can stay.....  They made their bed....  

Sad part is they continue to drive the very low tax, no gov agenda.  Once coal totally dries up Wyo will have to find new tax revenues or continue to shrink in population.  Oil and Gas will begin a decline before too long as well. Many other minerals will remain but they won't provide tax revenue like Fossil Fuels.  We don't seem to have the copper and heavy metal reserves like Montana.  Wyoming was not an option for me to retire to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Billings said:

Sad part is they continue to drive the very low tax, no gov agenda.  Once coal totally dries up Wyo will have to find new tax revenues or continue to shrink in population.  Oil and Gas will begin a decline before too long as well. Many other minerals will remain but they won't provide tax revenue like Fossil Fuels.  We don't seem to have the copper and heavy metal reserves like Montana.  Wyoming was not an option for me to retire to.

you can have a low tax no gov agenda and have a booming economy and population growth.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

you can have a low tax no gov agenda and have a booming economy and population growth.  

Agree but Wyo need a public/private partnership to get new growth going.  Other conservative states help drive new industry with strategic investments.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 9:38 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Most minerals owned by the federal government in the Powder River Basin are private surface lands (federally owned minerals).  Nothing to do with the railroad and everything to do with the homesteading acts the lands were patented under.  In short, these are not public surface lands.  
 

Bonding has always been a matter of discretion of the BLM and bonding also occurs at the state levels (even for federal minerals).  Thus, wells in drilling units in Wyoming that include any federal minerals are double bonded (at both the BLM and WOGCC).  The federal bonds are relatively meaningless from any sort of environmental protection and reclamation standpoint considering the WOGCC largely regulates plug and abandonment and reclamation.  
 

The Biden administration didn’t propose anything.  The courts compelled them to begin quarterly lease sales again because the administration had issued executive orders that were contrary to congressional law that compels quarterly lease sales.  (I.e rather than enforce laws passed by Congress the Biden administration decided to would just overrule congressional law on its own accord).  But rather than list the parcels in Wyoming that had previously been identified, had gone through extensive NEPA review and had been approved for leasing, the Biden administration cut the parcels from 500+ to 195 (most of which are worthless parcels).  
 

I’m sorry if you really believe this administration gives a damn about Wyoming and how Wyoming is going to fund its state and schools because it doesn’t. Wyoming is an irrelevant amount of electoral votes and population and that’s how we are being treated by the current administration.  
 

Wyoming is a shithole!  Hell om earth

should be a territory and not state

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Billings said:

Sad part is they continue to drive the very low tax, no gov agenda.  Once coal totally dries up Wyo will have to find new tax revenues or continue to shrink in population.  Oil and Gas will begin a decline before too long as well. Many other minerals will remain but they won't provide tax revenue like Fossil Fuels.  We don't seem to have the copper and heavy metal reserves like Montana.  Wyoming was not an option for me to retire to.

Wyoming has lots of lithium and uranium so it may see a renaissance in 30 years or so. I could see myself retiring to Laramie then... maybe... if I can go back to cold. 

3 minutes ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I was always amazed at the amount of oil that flowed out of the mountains by Meeteetse. 

lots of fortunes made and probably more lost in the basin/wind river valley.  hell, my dad did it twice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, happycamper said:

Wyoming has lots of lithium and uranium so it may see a renaissance in 30 years or so. I could see myself retiring to Laramie then... maybe... if I can go back to cold. 

lots of fortunes made and probably more lost in the basin/wind river valley.  hell, my dad did it twice!

For my money, Meeteetse School is one of the most impressive campuses I’ve ever been on, especially for a school that size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nevada6077 said:

Wyoming is a shithole!  Hell om earth

should be a territory and not state

You're going to be devastated to learn that all of the Western United States including Nevada and California was once referred to as Laramidia named after the Laramide orogeny and the Laramie Mountains of Wyoming.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

I was always amazed at the amount of oil that flowed out of the mountains by Meeteetse. 

Drive out in the hills behind Powell sometime.  Dirt roads that go all the way to Montana and to the road between Billings and Red Lodge.  Old abandoned oil pipes and buildings.  Uncapped wells.  Is a mess in some areas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MetropolitanCowboy said:

For my money, Meeteetse School is one of the most impressive campuses I’ve ever been on, especially for a school that size.

And the cowboy bar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Billings said:

Drive out in the hills behind Powell sometime.  Dirt roads that go all the way to Montana and to the road between Billings and Red Lodge.  Old abandoned oil pipes and buildings.  Uncapped wells.  Is a mess in some areas

I’ll have to take a drive next time I’m out there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...