Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

#2 UCLA at UNLV

UNLV
STARTERS FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
D. WilliamsF 4-10 1-4 3-4 1 3 4 2 1 1 0 4 12
R. Hamm Jr.F 1-5 1-3 5-8 2 2 4 1 0 0 1 5 8
B. HamiltonG 6-15 3-7 0-0 0 2 2 0 0 0 1 2 15
M. NugaG 1-4 1-1 2-2 0 2 2 0 1 0 0 0 5
J. McCabeG 1-10 0-6 0-0 0 0 0 5 1 0 0 3 2
BENCH FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
R. BrownF 0-0 0-0 0-0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
D. MuokaC 0-0 0-0 0-1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0
J. BakerG 1-4 0-3 0-0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
K. GilbertG 2-3 0-1 0-0 2 2 4 3 1 0 2 3 4
J. WebsterG 1-3 0-1 1-1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
M. ColemanG 0-2 0-1 0-0 0 2 2 1 1 0 0 2 0
TEAM 17-56 6-27 11-16 8 19 27 12 6 1 5 20 51
  30.4% 22.2% 68.8%

26 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Okay. How do we win this game?

This game was not winnable.

We need more actions where the ball handler is catching the ball after the defense has been shifted vs relying on them to make a move.

Our spacing was really bad today.  We had numerous instances of guys running into each other.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Transfer portal IS NOT the answer!  Long term, he has to be able to recruit HS players, or he’s going to fail.

You have to blend it with HS recruits!  If this works for other top programs who are better than we are, it will work here!

23 minutes ago, 303Rebel said:

You have to blend it with HS recruits!  If this works for other top programs who are better than we are, it will work here!

The only really good team where you can make a case that their best player is a transfer is UCLA.  The top programs will bring in transfers to supplement the roster rather than be the main course.

We got blown out by a much better team. It happens. They made it hard for us to do anything because they were bigger, stronger and more skilled. Jacking 3s was the only way we were going to stay in this game (the great equalizer). We probably aren't a great shooting team so that was not ideal but it's the only option we had.  

No need to start questioning Kevin Kruger's style or philosophies or recruiting strategies just yet. It's seven or so games into year 1. Hopefully the team continues to gel and figure it out.  

Tough schedule this year as well. More parity in conference than usual. 

1. I never expected to learn a lot from this game because of the many mismatches.
2. The one thing I had hoped for was a closer game but see #1.
3. The one thing I know is that having gone through this experience this past week the Rebs will be tougher and the game will have slowed down for them a bit especially as we move towards conference play.

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

We got blown out by a much better team. It happens. They made it hard for us to do anything because they were bigger, stronger and more skilled. Jacking 3s was the only way we were going to stay in this game (the great equalizer). We probably aren't a great shooting team so that was not ideal but it's the only option we had.  

No need to start questioning Kevin Kruger's style or philosophies or recruiting strategies just yet. It's seven or so games into year 1. Hopefully the team continues to gel and figure it out.  

Tough schedule this year as well. More parity in conference than usual. 

It’s tough to draw conclusions as to how his recruiting will be long-term, but the talent level has to improve if we’re going to even be an NCAA Tournament team, let alone nationally relevant.  There are some nice foundational pieces.

31 minutes ago, 303Rebel said:

Keshon Gilbert say hello.

This guy, too.

https://247sports.com/Article/KyeRon-Lindsay-commits-to-UNLV-Basketball-Recruiting-171585193/

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

The problem is we are not shooting good

This is exactly what happened. They were open, but just couldn’t connect. It happens. I also think UCLA took them out of their game, their defense was tough. Another game they might hit more, it just didn’t happen today. 

3 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

This is exactly what happened. They were open, but just couldn’t connect. It happens. I also think UCLA took them out of their game, their defense was tough. Another game they might hit more, it just didn’t happen today. 

Que Boise and SDSU fans on crappy shooting.  Seems everyone is athletic and long and plays D.  Shooting will determine the best of the MWC.  CSU and Nevada may have upper hands there if Sherwood keeps delivering.

My statement was we need a couple of scorers and I stand by my statement!

We have many shooters but not a couple of guys who can score.  Not a question about KK but anyone can see the teams we lost to are tournament type teams and don’t we want to get back to the tournament?  If so we need more than an inconsistent Bryce to be able to compete with NCAA tournament type of teams!

The transfer portal should be used to bring in a few guys who can play day one, high school recruits are for down the road.  When is the last time a high schooler came to UNLV and made a real difference?  By the way McCoy was the exception not the norm around here..