Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AggieSox

MWCCG USU vs SDSU

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

The joke all season for USU fans is that we are the worst 4-2, 5-2, 6-2, 7-2, 8-2, and 9-3 team in the country. The team is very Jekyll and Hyde, with really bad first quarters/halfs and amazing second halfs. We have gone 5-3 when we have been behind at half time-

Washington State- 5-6 at half, won 26-23  (Biggest Deficit- 11-23 in the 4th )

North Dakota- 20-21 at half, won 48-24 (7-21 end of the 1st)

AF- 13-24 at half, won 49-45

UNLV- 14-17 at half, won 28-24 (7-17 at the end of the 1st)

NMSU- 7-13 at half, won 35-13 (0-10 at the end of the 1st)

Bonus- San Jose- Down 0-14 in the second quarter, won 48-17

We go for it on 4th down quite often (28 attempts, 14 successful).

The Boise and Wyoming games are real head scratchers. We put up 453 yards on Boise and only got 3 points out of it. That was due in large part to penalties, turnovers and the failure to convert on 4th down. No disrespect to Boise, but USU shot themselves in the foot over and over and over in a game they should have been even with, if not winning. I have no explanation for Wyoming whatsoever. USU just flat out did not show up to that game. It happens, Boise did the same to us while ranked #21 a few years ago when we beat them 52-26.

USU is ranked #16 nationally for offense, with 457.1 yards/game. We have the #1 receiver in the country, Deven Thompkins, with 1543 yards.  He just broke the school record previously held by Kevin Curtis.  #15 passing offense in the country.

Logan Bonner has very quietly become one of the best QBs USU has had. He is on track to beat Jordan Love's TD record. He has a 32-10 TD/int ratio, with 3,242 yards. He has an incredible arm, but unfortunately he has made a lot of very questionable passes into coverage. He likes to throw at least one interception per game, just to get it out of the way before he tears it up. He can't run worth crap, although sometimes I wish he would run more often.

USU's biggest weakness is probably our O-line. Listening to the SDSU BSU game was like listening to any of our games. Bonner gets hit A LOT. Our O-line can't stop a bunch of grandmas. But he still manages to get some great passes off. Bonner is injured every game, but for some reason coach keeps putting him back in. He might have broken some ribs or torn something against UNM, but he went right back in and kept playing. As someone put it on the USU board, "Bonner is like the black night in Monty Pythons search for the Holy Grail." Toughest player on the team.

Our defense is meh, They have played complete lockdown at times and let everyone through at others. Justin Rice leads on defense, with 54 tackles.

I dunno, I am not much of an analyst, so if anyone else wants to break things down, go for it. My prediction is that SDSU will win, I am just excited to see USU in the CCG. After going 1-5 last season, getting a new coach, a new qb, and what was supposed to be a complete rebuilding year, USU has blown everyone away. I am extremely proud of this team. They don't give up even when it seems like there is no coming back. Here's to a great game against the Aztecs!

I don't know if the Aggies will win, but they will play hard and give it their all.  Turnovers, protecting Bonner, and stopping the SDSU run will be key to victories.  If the Aggies can do that they will have a good chance.  Obviously that is a big task.  Whatever happens I am proud of my Aggies.

3 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

I don't know if the Aggies will win, but they will play hard and give it their all.  Turnovers, protecting Bonner, and stopping the SDSU run will be key to victories.  If the Aggies can do that they will have a good chance.  Obviously that is a big task.  Whatever happens I am proud of my Aggies.

This take is soooo 3weeks ago.

We're a passing team now.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Helpful hint for those attending:

The best seat in the house is in the club above the end zone.  Get there early and get an inside window table or one of the outside patio tables.   There's no charge and the high end zone view of the game is pretty cool.

Also, monitors showing the game which come in handy because there are very few replays on the stadium screen

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

(Sadly, rumor has it that one of the bowls is trying to get us and Houston and knowing Hairball, if doing  

If Houston and the Aztecs win Saturday, I'm In

Interested Go On GIF by filmeditor

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

If you play with the various categories the following is revealed:

The Aztecs are Second in Rush Defense at 78.5 yards pg

Fourth in Yards Per Rush at 2.61

Second in Rushing TD's allowed with 4

6th in 3rd Down Conversions allowed at .313 %

14th in blocked punts with 3

Number 3 in net punting at 44.38

Seventeenth in Interceptions with 15

16th in turnover margin at +10

24th in sacks at 3 pg

Bring it Utags

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/26/2021 at 1:07 PM, Dogs4Me said:

It’s too bad that the best teams are not playing…

Yep- the Aztecs crapped the bed against your dog dukies. Oh , wait you guys crapped the bed against Hawai and Boise. Guess what? The Aztecs did not. Enjoy the game next Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Aggie84025 said:

Even if we win we'll be stuck in one of the MWC shit bowls.  Bank on it.  There's no love lost between Hair and us.

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

If you play with the various categories the following is revealed:

The Aztecs are Second in Rush Defense at 78.5 yards pg

Fourth in Yards Per Rush at 2.61

Second in Rushing TD's allowed with 4

6th in 3rd Down Conversions allowed at .313 %

14th in blocked punts with 3

Number 3 in net punting at 44.38

Seventeenth in Interceptions with 15

16th in turnover margin at +10

24th in sacks at 3 pg

Bring it Utags

The SDSU defense is awesome.  Aggies while not a great running team can't just completely abandon it they have to be somewhat balanced.  Hopefully Blake and company can scheme a way to get the offense clicking and sustain drives in this game.

1 hour ago, SDDean said:

Yep- the Aztecs crapped the bed against your dog dukies. Oh , wait you guys crapped the bed against Hawai and Boise. Guess what? The Aztecs did not. Enjoy the game next Saturday. 

Uh, okay…not watching, taking your mom to the zoo to see your dad.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

Our offense is suspect, and our defense falls asleep sometimes, but the only guarantee is Bonner is going to get REALLY tired of seeing #2, #66, and #99 in his face all game.

7 hours ago, aztech said:

That would really piss me off!!  Get away from this pattern.  We kicked their asses in the Hawaii Bowl a few years ago and they haven't beaten any worthy opponents this year.  I want us matched with a P-5 team, at the least.  

If you’re talking about Houston that was the 2016 Vegas Bowl. The Aztecs stomped Cincinnati in Hawaii the previous season.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

4 minutes ago, SanDiegoPoke said:

My second MWC Championship Game. Tickets to both (last was SDSU-Wyoming) are ridiculously cheap. No one has an excuse to miss it if they are in the area. I'd love to see a sellout.

Who are you going to cheer for or wanting to win?

USU/SDS Against Common Opponents:

Air Force: USU (49-45) +4 < SDS (20-14) +6 <-2>
Boazy: USU (3-27) -24 < SDS (27-16) +11 <-35>
Hawai'i: USU (51-31) +20 > SDS (17-10) +7 <+13>
NewMags: USU (35-13) +22 > SDS (28-10) +18 <+4>
New Mejico: USU (35-10) +25 > SDS (31-7) +24 <+1>
SJS: USU (48-17) +31 > SDS (19-13) +6 <+25>
Vegas: USU (28-24) +4 < SDS (28-20) +8 <-4>

Comparative Records: USU 6-1 < SDS 7-0

Comparative Scores Overall: USU +2 pps
Comparative Scores Per Game: USU +0.29 ppg

Probably useless, yet what else are we supposed to use as comparatives if not scores and records against common opponents.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

4 minutes ago, USU78 said:

USU/SDS Against Common Opponents:

Air Force: USU (49-45) +4 < SDS (20-14) +6 <-2>
Boazy: USU (3-27) -24 < SDS (27-16) +11 <-35>
Hawai'i: USU (51-31) +20 > SDS (17-10) +7 <+13>
NewMags: USU (35-13) +22 > SDS (28-10) +18 <+4>
New Mejico: USU (35-10) +25 > SDS (31-7) +24 <+1>
SJS: USU (48-17) +31 > SDS (19-13) +6 <+25>
Vegas: USU (28-24) +4 < SDS (28-20) +8 <-4>

Comparative Records: USU 6-1 < SDS 7-0

Comparative Scores Overall: USU +2 pps
Comparative Scores Per Game: USU +0.29 ppg

Probably useless, yet what else are we supposed to use as comparatives if not scores and records against common opponents.

USU played more of those teams than SDSU did because of their WAC days.  Not really a valid comparison.

4 minutes ago, aztech said:

USU played more of those teams than SDSU did because of their WAC days.  Not really a valid comparison.

Huh?  Are you making reference to the league's present scheduling quirks arising out of the MWC-WAC mini-merger or are you thinking I'm saying something I'm not?

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.