Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swoll Cracker

Today in MWC Hoops - TWO HUGE THANKSGIVING OPPORTUNITIES - WHO YA’ GOT

Yesterday was a fantastic day for the MWC. Air Force continues to win, Nevada looks like they’ve turned it around, Fresno smacked a good WCC squad, and UNLV rolled upstart Whittier.

Today there are two really good opportunities against two good opponents.

First up, the Lobos travel to Vegas to meet a very good UAB team that is currently ranked 53 in KenPom. Andy Kennedy has gone into the transfer portal and brought in all kinds of P5 players.  Lobos are in much the same mode but Pitino Jr. is in his first year while Kennedy is in his second. I don’t think the Lobos will win, but they have a tremendous history in overachieving in games in Vegas. There must be something in the air. Or maybe its the nickel slots and Keno. I’m taking the Lobos to cover the 11.5.

San Diego State heads up the 405 to take on Patrick Ewing’s Georgetown squad. This is the type of game that the typical Aztec teams win by double digits. I’m not sure I can call this team typical yet as they really struggle to score. Georgetown shoots the three well; Aztecs defend the three well. Aztecs get to the FT line lots; Hoyas don’t foul much. The real prize is that an SDSU win gets them a matchup with USC in the next round. I think they win but I don’t like the 7 points. I’m staying away.

16 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Is UAB that good?  I have not followed them, but 11.5 point favorites seem really high. 

Last years team was 22-7, 13-5 in Conference USA and they’ve added transfers from Tulane, Georgetown, and Ole Miss

I don't normally bet the home team, but Westgate gave me 12. Lobos are a work-in-progress on "D", but scoring isn't an issue, 12 is very doable.

49 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Over half the conference is under 100 in the Sagarin. If we could get Air Force and SJSU into the low 200s, high 100s it would really help. So far this preseason has been good for the MWC. 

Really solid showing for the conference thus far. If the conference can continue to do well like there will be a lot of teams ranked 125 or lower going into confernce which will afford many opportunities in conference play to get quality wins.

1 hour ago, Aggie84025 said:

Is UAB that good?  I have not followed them, but 11.5 point favorites seem really high. 

A lot of it is based off of last year I think. We would have gotten crushed by this UAB team if this was last season's team and I would have easily taken UAB to cover this spread.

Honestly though, UAB is very good and picked to win C-USA. They cause a lot of turnovers and we've struggled with ball security at times, plus our starting PG is hobbled but will play today. It wouldn't shock me if we do get beat by 10-15, but I hope I'm wrong. The MWC has been stellar so far and I hope the Lobos can contribute to that today. 

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t know enough about either opponent to bet so will take Thanksgiving off. The Georgetown game should be a good barometer on how good SDSU is this year. I’m having my doubts. Perimeter shooting appears to be a weakness. 

We shot 40% from 3, 87% from the line and 35% overall last game. It's not the shooting. It's shot selection, not making the extra pass and not sharing the ball. Still searching for an identity. We'll get there eventually. I think Dutch shortens the bench tonight.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 minutes ago, mikexom said:

I see UAB covering the spread. Lobos weakness down low ( rebounding and paint points) along with our hero ball PG will sink the Lobos in H2

For every game that House wins you, he’ll lose three. He’s a loose cannon on both ends of the floor.