Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

Smartphone shortage

8 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Maybe the big box stores have a better supply.  The AT&T store was taking orders and promising delivery  the first week of December.   

Yeah, they did that to me but as said it was 3 weeks not 3 months. 

I also had a perfectly fine working phone, so I get your problem.  

On 11/24/2021 at 8:51 AM, Aslowhiteguy said:

My piece of shit, LG phone, suddenly died yesterday.  My wife's iphone is on its last legs. 

I decided to drop AT&T, go with Spectrum Mobile, and get a couple of new phones. 

Spectrum didn't have any phones.  None.  I had to order one for the wife and I pick my phone up today, even thought it's not the one I wanted. 

AT&T was no help.  They said the phone cannot be fixed and I'll probably lose my photos, etc, forever.  The only hope is to take it to a repair shop and maybe they can retrieve the data. 

AT&T couldn't come close to matching the deal I'm getting from Spectrum and their phone supply was low.

Both AT&T & Spectrum were hoping to get a shipment in today to cover the Black Friday specials, but neither seemed confident they'd receive enough phones to meet demand.

I had heard there was a chip supply problem for new phones but I didn't realize how bad it is until it hit me in the face.

BTW - LG is no longer in the phone business.  It's probably a good thing.  Their TV's suck too.  They don't last very long. 

Not a good start to the Holiday Season.  

What a difference a couple of weeks makes. We switched to Spectrum and got a couple of phones. They arrived on time. I don't know if living closer to a point of entry has anything to with it or it was just the timing. 

On 11/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, Aslowhiteguy said:

I could have.  I was switching providers anyway so I started with Spectrum and didn't know until I got there that the shortage is severe.  As mentioned, AT&T had supply problems too.  Apparently, even the Apple Store has supply problems, although I didn't visit them personally.  

I honestly don't know whether or not the big box stores have a larger supply than the specialty stores.  My guess is everyone is having supply problems.

I think what SL means is to go to the store personally. Some retailers are authorized vendors. I stopped going to the Verizon store to get upgrades/phones when I found out Best Buy was an authorized vendor. They gave me better rates and discounts than the VZW store.

Based on my head start for Xmas shopping, the "scarcity" from logistics is not apparent. At least not here in SoCal. Only one Target store I went had a couple of bare shelves, but those are the shelves at the back of the store that usually have low demand items on 'em.