Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

Smartphone shortage

My piece of shit, LG phone, suddenly died yesterday.  My wife's iphone is on its last legs. 

I decided to drop AT&T, go with Spectrum Mobile, and get a couple of new phones. 

Spectrum didn't have any phones.  None.  I had to order one for the wife and I pick my phone up today, even thought it's not the one I wanted. 

AT&T was no help.  They said the phone cannot be fixed and I'll probably lose my photos, etc, forever.  The only hope is to take it to a repair shop and maybe they can retrieve the data. 

AT&T couldn't come close to matching the deal I'm getting from Spectrum and their phone supply was low.

Both AT&T & Spectrum were hoping to get a shipment in today to cover the Black Friday specials, but neither seemed confident they'd receive enough phones to meet demand.

I had heard there was a chip supply problem for new phones but I didn't realize how bad it is until it hit me in the face.

BTW - LG is no longer in the phone business.  It's probably a good thing.  Their TV's suck too.  They don't last very long. 

Not a good start to the Holiday Season.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Maybe try a retailer like Walmart or Best buy.

I could have.  I was switching providers anyway so I started with Spectrum and didn't know until I got there that the shortage is severe.  As mentioned, AT&T had supply problems too.  Apparently, even the Apple Store has supply problems, although I didn't visit them personally.  

I honestly don't know whether or not the big box stores have a larger supply than the specialty stores.  My guess is everyone is having supply problems.

Barack Obama

53 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I was forced to T-Mobile with the Sprint merger, but so far my experiences have been much better. Sprint customer service was AWFUL.

T-Mobile has always had top quality customer service. The one drawback with T-Mobile is service can be iffy in rural areas. 

56 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I was forced to T-Mobile with the Sprint merger, but so far my experiences have been much better. Sprint customer service was AWFUL.

Just had to switch over as well.  T-Mobile is off to a much better start than Sprint, customer-service-wise.  Sprint was terrible.  I had to wait about a week because the lady had to have the new IPhone.  

Don't know if you are doing it already, @Aslowhiteguy but so long as you know the exact phone you want, just call the place and ask if it's there.  If they say they will call you when one comes in, they won't.  They don't have a reason to do it, with the demand right now.  Call them and have them hold it as you are en route that moment. 

3 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hmmm... just checked our "local" Wally World and they had no fewer than 28 smart phones SKUs in stock... maybe move? :ph34r:

He only likes the locally sourced GMO free vegan smart phones. Can’t get those at Walmart 

2 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

T-Mobile has always had top quality customer service. The one drawback with T-Mobile is service can be iffy in rural areas. 

Yea.  Almost went with T-Mobile but coverage was not that awesome here.  Frankly ATT has the best coverage in my area and it is not even close.

Unless you live in Dickshooter Idaho, Verizon is overall the best.  I have been loyal to them almost 20 years.

I hate scroogle, but wife and I had just ordered two Pixel 6 Pro's when they posted a Black Friday deal on Pixel 5a 5g Unlocked at $399 each, saved $1,200.  I like the 5a better, it still has the rear fingerprint sensor. Cancelled the 6's.

110926run_defense710.jpg

I upgraded from the X to the new Pro Max, have had AT&T since the iPhone 3 when they were the only provider.  They said it could take up to 3 months for the new phone to come in, ended up taking 3 weeks.  Haven’t had a single issue with AT&T. 

I’ve got a 75 inch LG tv that we bought 3 years ago, never a single issue (knock on wood) SONY is a different situation, bought a 65 inch 4 years ago and the board fried out, had a guy fix it for $600 as it was still cheaper than a new one and we rarely use it.  

12 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Go with T-Mobile 

We had a single line plan with Verizon for my wife (my phone is provided through work). It become too much hassle to keep as all their marketing and promos are for unlimited and/or family plans. For example, phones are never individually on sale, it's something like a BOGO deal (and only if you upgrade your plan as well).

We checked with some local friends who had good things to say about T-Mobile coverage map, so she jumped on a deal with Mint Mobile which uses the same network. Unlimited plan averages out to like $15 a month and she got a great deal on a 5G phone. Not sure we'll ever go back to Verizon.

16 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I upgraded from the X to the new Pro Max, have had AT&T since the iPhone 3 when they were the only provider.  They said it could take up to 3 months for the new phone to come in, ended up taking 3 weeks.  Haven’t had a single issue with AT&T. 

I’ve got a 75 inch LG tv that we bought 3 years ago, never a single issue (knock on wood) SONY is a different situation, bought a 65 inch 4 years ago and the board fried out, had a guy fix it for $600 as it was still cheaper than a new one and we rarely use it.  

Both ours and my brothers LG TV lasted about 3 years,  I doubt I'll ever buy another  LG product.  

I've had great luck with Panasonic products. My Panasonic massage  chair is over 20 years old and working as well as the day I got it;  

Barack Obama

21 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Hmmm... just checked our "local" Wally World and they had no fewer than 28 smart phones SKUs in stock... maybe move? :ph34r:

Maybe the big box stores have a better supply.  The AT&T store was taking orders and promising delivery  the first week of December.   

Barack Obama

We have Google Fi and buy unlocked phones.  We ordered a new S21-5G, for my wife directly from Samsung in mid-October to be delivered in mid November.  Just got a notice that it would be mid December.

The Pixel 6 I ordered in September showed up in 2 days.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Also love my pixel 4a...upgraded a while ago from pixel 2...imagine I will stay with pixels moving forward. Probably keep buying year behind "a" phones. No complaints. Love the stock android system without all the other stuff Samsung and others put on the phone.