Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HR_Poke

DIY home improvement projects

9 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

Did it work?

I don't want to go hand tools until I have a really good and effective and quick sharpening kit. 

Yeah it worked well. I bought a nice hock blade for it, and I got a good sharpening setup for it. You have to tune your plane though otherwise you will get a lot of tear out.

1 minute ago, HR_Poke said:

Yeah it worked well. I bought a nice hock blade for it, and I got a good sharpening setup for it. You have to tune your plane though otherwise you will get a lot of tear out.

I have heard they can be fussy but really effective

12 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

I have heard they can be fussy but really effective

Yeah I tore through a lot of wood and youtube videos before I got mine setup right. But once it's setup it worked really well. And cheaper than a 20 inch planer.

I'm a cheap ass who would rather do it myself than pay someone. Made the mistake of letting my wife know that I'm pretty solid and plumbing and electrical, and can do alright for an amateur carpenter. Once she found out she decided that our entire basement could use a remodel, including tearing out a wall in the bathroom to move plumbing and electrical. All in all it turned out great!

image-20170511_211241.jpg

image-20170511_211626.jpg

MVIMG_20181213_193052.jpg

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

She also decided that said bathroom needed a sliding barn door. Discovered that we had an odd sized opening that called for a custom door. Once I found out how much those were I grabbed some old cedar fence panels from someone putting in a new fence and built my own.

20190119_141739.jpg

IMG_20190330_173102.jpg

2 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

I'm a cheap ass who would rather do it myself than pay someone. Made the mistake of letting my wife know that I'm pretty solid and plumbing and electrical, and can do alright for an amateur carpenter. Once she found out she decided that our entire basement could use a remodel, including tearing out a wall in the bathroom to move plumbing and electrical. All in all it turned out great!

image-20170511_211241.jpg

image-20170511_211626.jpg

MVIMG_20181213_193052.jpg

Did you retrofit the dresser yourself to make it a vanity?

Just now, HR_Poke said:

Did you retrofit the dresser yourself to make it a vanity?

Not that one. Someone did the retrofitting and gave up on the project. I picked it up for less than the faucet was worth. I have retrofitted them myself in the past, though.

1 minute ago, WYO1016 said:

Not that one. Someone did the retrofitting and gave up on the project. I picked it up for less than the faucet was worth. I have retrofitted them myself in the past, though.

Was always curious how much work that it with the drawers and retrofitting them around the pee trap on the sink.  My wife keeps hinting at me making her new vanities and barn doors.....  I've been avoiding them like the plague.....

Was always curious how much work that it with the drawers and retrofitting them around the pee trap on the sink.  My wife keeps hinting at me making her new vanities and barn doors.....  I've been avoiding them like the plague.....

Barn doors are SUPER easy. Old fence panels are pretty easy to come by, and they clean up nicely with some sanding and 10-ish coast of polycrilic. Takes 3 layers to make it stable enough to hang, but the design is easy enough. Wood glue and some brad nails and you're done!

Making vanities out of dressers is pretty straighforward. My favorite thing to do to the drawers is to clean out the middle entirely and hinge the drawer faces to tip out. Keeps the look, but gives you pretty standard under-sink storage. Easy enough to do the plumbing when you've taken all of the hardware out.

6 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Barn doors are SUPER easy. Old fence panels are pretty easy to come by, and they clean up nicely with some sanding and 10-ish coast of polycrilic. Takes 3 layers to make it stable enough to hang, but the design is easy enough. Wood glue and some brad nails and you're done!

Making vanities out of dressers is pretty straighforward. My favorite thing to do to the drawers is to clean out the middle entirely and hinge the drawer faces to tip out. Keeps the look, but gives you pretty standard under-sink storage. Easy enough to do the plumbing when you've taken all of the hardware out.

I've seen a lot of U shaped drawers to get around the pee trap, just seems like a lot of extra steps compared to an open cabinet with a door.  But I'm lazy sometimes.  

My old boss had a ton of barnboard from his families 100+ year old barn down in Franktown, CO.  I was going to buy some off him but he ran it all through the planer and was way too aggressive.  He took off all the patina and went down to bare wood.  Looked like brand new wood you get at home depot....  Killed it for me.

I've seen a lot of U shaped drawers to get around the pee trap, just seems like a lot of extra steps compared to an open cabinet with a door.  But I'm lazy sometimes.  

My old boss had a ton of barnboard from his families 100+ year old barn down in Franktown, CO.  I was going to buy some off him but he ran it all through the planer and was way too aggressive.  He took off all the patina and went down to bare wood.  Looked like brand new wood you get at home depot....  Killed it for me.

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh. I hate when people do that. I took some medium grit and an orbital sander to the pickets I had. Knocked off the top layer of weathering, but left the patina in the grooves. Here's a progress pic before I put it all together and stained it for reference.

20190120_105027.jpg

Just now, WYO1016 said:

Uuuuuuuuuuuugh. I hate when people do that. I took some medium grit and an orbital sander to the pickets I had. Knocked off the top layer of weathering, but left the patina in the grooves. Here's a progress pic before I put it all together and stained it for reference.

20190120_105027.jpg

Did it stay pretty strong structurally?  

Just now, HR_Poke said:

Did it stay pretty strong structurally?  

It's rock solid. The only thing I would change if I did it again would be to put a strip along the top to mount the rail slides to.

I did my bracing a bit different on the front and the back to give it more structual support. On one side I had the top, middle, and bottom boards the full width. On the other I shortened the middle board and had the outside boards uninterrupted between the top and bottom.

Here are pics of both sides before I got the polycrilic on it. I made the core out of the 14 individual boards above and joined them together with the boards on the outside layers.

20190120_170923.jpg

IMG_20190120_170536.jpg

8 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

It's rock solid. The only thing I would change if I did it again would be to put a strip along the top to mount the rail slides to.

I did my bracing a bit different on the front and the back to give it more structual support. On one side I had the top, middle, and bottom boards the full width. On the other I shortened the middle board and had the outside boards uninterrupted between the top and bottom.

Here are pics of both sides before I got the polycrilic on it. I made the core out of the 14 individual boards above and joined them together with the boards on the outside layers.

20190120_170923.jpg

IMG_20190120_170536.jpg

Nice!  I'll have to keep this in mind the next time she brings up wanting a barn door. 

23 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

20190120_170923.jpg

IMG_20190120_170536.jpg

14 boards? Is it double?

nm...I see

50 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Thanks for not stamping your penis into the wet cement. But I guess if the rumors are true, a driveway wouldn't even be long enough for you

It is there it's just too small

I talk a big game to impress you guys

This is all beyond my non-paygrade. If the job basically involves measuring and sweating, I usually can do it. Otherwise, I'll probably +++++ it up. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.