Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EvilPoke

Is the split coming?

7 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

There's even more reasons why it won't work for "American (college) football"...

The career of a college player is far shorter on average than an elite international soccer professional. What, maybe an average of significantly less than 3 years? Sure, you get a few 4 year stars, but even those usually mature to their best performance sometime in year 2 or 3. 

So a team like the 2011 Boise State squad (which IMO was the most talented ever for BSU) gets promoted up. Their first year in the better league, they lose 5 future NFL-drafted/offered D Linemen, their star QB and several other key players, some of which would not be replaced with similar talent.  Best of luck in your new "Premier League"...

And I'm not even going to address the potential coaching issues!

As was said above, does an elite recruit really commit to a school that might get promoted/relegated short term? Probably not...

PS. Scheduling, budgeting, rivalries, etc. would also cause major issues.

Promotion/relegation is a lovely, equitable theory for college football but unworkable in reality.

Relegation is a pipe dream. I don't know why people think that something that works in European soccer is somehow easily transferable to American college football. 

It's also a pipe dream because the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world have the freedom of association. If they choose to share the football pot with their preferred bottom feeders like Illinois or Texas rather than the G5 flavor of the month then that's their prerogative. And there's no legal basis to force them to do otherwise. Life isn't fair.  Some schools made the investment (and were in the right place) a hundred years ago. I'm not going to begrudge their slice of the pie (even if they're not really pulling their weight) when schools like UNLV or Bowling Green didn't make that investment yet now demand to sit at the head of the holiday dinner like Cousin Eddie. 

On 11/20/2021 at 11:54 AM, Spaztecs said:

A stunning and enlightening article. Even to those who know what's coming.

Two things jumped out at me.

The Power 4/5 basically become a Professional Minor League. The G5 Schools, even when they hit on good ball players will be raided in transfer market. I have no doubt P4/5 Coaches will be able to actively recruit these kids.

Off the top of my head, the Utags, Nevada, and Sparty would not make the cut. The size of their Stadium alone precludes them from hitting that mark. I don't think they or many other Schools have the money to expand their Stadiums. How can you get fans to pay to watch a Team that is a historical disaster ?

The Big Boys in their pursuit of MOAR $$$$$$ are going to destroy the Sport. Especially for those Schools that play on the lower levels.

Depends on what you mean by "destroy".  I already don't watch "P5" football. I have no interest in it. I watch MWC, some AAC and occasionally some of the other G5's.  There will always be G5 football and a market for it.  There are only so many spots on a P5 roster.  There will be plenty of talent to go around and there will always be kids that would rather play for "free" than be paid to ride the pine. We already stand ZERO chance of playing for a National Championship so I'm not sure what difference all of this makes to anyone.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 11/20/2021 at 1:54 PM, Spaztecs said:

Off the top of my head, the Utags, Nevada, and Sparty would not make the cut. The size of their Stadium alone precludes them from hitting that mark. I don't think they or many other Schools have the money to expand their Stadiums. How can you get fans to pay to watch a Team that is a historical disaster ?

Boise and Fresno are the only teams that would have made the cut in 2019 with SDSU being close. That's it.....the rest of the MWC would be gone. With TV contracts as they are and MWC teams having to play on weeknights and weird times, the attendance clause is a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

50 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Depends on what you mean by "destroy".  I already don't watch "P5" football. I have no interest in it. I watch MWC, some AAC and occasionally some of the other G5's.  There will always be G5 football and a market for it.  There are only so many spots on a P5 roster.  There will be plenty of talent to go around and there will always be kids that would rather play for "free" than be paid to ride the pine. We already stand ZERO chance of playing for a National Championship so I'm not sure what difference all of this makes to anyone.

The article also stated there would be nothing to stop the P5 from increasing Scholarship limits.

Even if a G5 School hits on or develops some quality kids, the new Semi-Pro League will have no qualms with raiding the G5 for talent and depth.

The Split is happening because the P4/5 want all the money and all the power. They care nothing about Intercollegiate Athletics below them.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

If you can't enjoy Ohio State-Michigan this weekend, I can't help you: two top 5 teams playing in one of the greatest rivalries in all of American sports in front of 110K in a historic stadium.....crazy Jim Harbaugh and his mouth versus the coach who's vowed to "hang a hundred on him."

Enjoy your MACtion tonight.  I'm sure it will be thrilling, and you'll have kept your vestal G5 purity intact. 

1 minute ago, RebelAlliance said:

If you can't enjoy Ohio State-Michigan this weekend, I can't help you: two top 5 teams playing in one of the greatest rivalries in all of American sports in front of 110K in a historic stadium.....crazy Jim Harbaugh and his mouth versus the coach who's vowed to "hang a hundred on him."

Enjoy your MACtion tonight.  I'm sure it will be thrilling, and you'll have kept your vestal G5 purity intact. 

Why does it bother you that I don't care about P5 football?

Look, I get it. As a Rubble fan, you have to look outward to find competence of the field of play.   So enjoy the game.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

I agree with SDSU fan. I've watched more UNLV football than all P5 teams combined.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Why does it bother you that I don't care about P5 football?

Look, I get it. As a Rubble fan, you have to look outward to find competence of the field of play.   So enjoy the game.

It doesn't bother me. I, however, do find the dynamic of G5 alums who consider themselves big fans of college football yet won't watch the sport at the highest level and think they're making some noble statement in the process to be interesting and humorous. 

3 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

Relegation is a pipe dream. I don't know why people think that something that works in European soccer is somehow easily transferable to American college football. 

It's also a pipe dream because the Ohio States and Alabamas of the world have the freedom of association. If they choose to share the football pot with their preferred bottom feeders like Illinois or Texas rather than the G5 flavor of the month then that's their prerogative. And there's no legal basis to force them to do otherwise. Life isn't fair.  Some schools made the investment (and were in the right place) a hundred years ago. I'm not going to begrudge their slice of the pie (even if they're not really pulling their weight) when schools like UNLV or Bowling Green didn't make that investment yet now demand to sit at the head of the holiday dinner like Cousin Eddie. 

This is the same exact argument that has been going on with Euro Soccer.  Essentially making things more equitable will make the top teams want to leave and form their own league, so they don't have to split money with the paupers - and essentially make more money with a superior product.  And you know what?  I am OK with a Euro SuperLeague.  I am OK with a CFB Super League. How is it fair that a starting lineup of ManCity can be worth like 800MM and the starting lineup of a Norwich may push like $50MM?  It's the same exact thing with CFB.  I say let the big boys go jerk eachother off and it'll make the rest of CFB a lot more entertaining.

41 minutes ago, Dirtball said:

I agree with SDSU fan. I've watched more UNLV football than all P5 teams combined.

You have my deepest sympathies.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

It doesn't bother me. I, however, do find the dynamic of G5 alums who consider themselves big fans of college football yet won't watch the sport at the highest level and think they're making some noble statement in the process to be interesting and humorous. 

I'm not a G5 alum.  I'm an alumnus of Harvey Mudd and U Maryland.  I'm not making any statement other than what does and doesn't interest me.  I'm a lifelong fan of SDSU.  That's what interests me. Its fortunes interest me so I watch the MWC and to a lesser extent the other G5's as they are to a certain degree, our competition.

Enjoy the game.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

32 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I'm not a G5 alum.  I'm an alumnus of Harvey Mudd and U Maryland.  I'm not making any statement other what does and doesn't interest me.  I'm a lifelong fan of SDSU.  That's what interests me. Its fortunes interest me so I watch the MWC and to a lesser extent the other G5's as they are to a certain degree, our competition.

Enjoy the game.

Smh. I'm certainly not going to question the academic excellence of Harvey Mudd but it's rather unusual for the banner on a college's website home page to have no link to "sports" or "athletics": https://www.hmc.edu/

And your being a non-Aztec tends to explain why you supported the Soccer City initiative over SDSU's purchase of the Qualcomm site.

I've lived in California my entire life and in SoCal the majority of it and only met one Mudd student that entire time. I remember he majored in some really obscure science field that was way beyond my pay grade. Mind telling the world what you majored in?

14 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Smh. I'm certainly not going to question the academic excellence of Harvey Mudd but it's rather unusual for the banner on a college's website home page to have no link to "sports" or "athletics": https://www.hmc.edu/

And your being a non-Aztec tends to explain why you supported the Soccer City initiative over SDSU's purchase of the Qualcomm site.

I've lived in California my entire life and in SoCal the majority of it and only met one Mudd student that entire time. I remember he majored in some really obscure science field that was way beyond my pay grade. Mind telling the world what you majored in?

BSEE Mudd

MSEE- Maryland

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-overall

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

4 hours ago, RebelAlliance said:

Within my personal circle, I don't know many Michigan fans looking forward to this game, especially after what OSU did to Sparty.  I have a lot of Midwest family ties so I follow B$G and MAC a little.  You want to talk about the most demoralized fan base of a top ten team, look at Michigan going into this game.  That is what being absolutely dominated by your rival for almost two decades does to you.  It is sad.  

60K tuition, jesus christ.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

16 minutes ago, Dirtball said:

60K tuition, jesus christ.

They have a very generous grant-in-aid program.  The only students that pay full freight are foreign students. Most kids don't pay anything close to that number.  I didn't have any debt when I graduated but that was the early 80's, before the cost of education went through the roof.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Honestly probably will be watching some FCS playoff games this weekend over what they are airing. I have watched very little of the big guys usually watching MWC, AAC, MAC or FCS. I will check out scores but otherwise ehhh, except watching to see how Texas or Notre Dame screw something up

On 11/20/2021 at 1:41 PM, HawaiiMongoose said:

What I hate about all this is that it hardly matters what your team does on the field.  The criteria being discussed are how big your athletic budget is, how many fans you have, how high your TV ratings are.  If you have those things going for you you're in.  If you don't you're out.  Look at the MWC versus the Pac-12 this season.  We played them pretty much even and the Massey composite shows that the two conferences are closer competitively than they've ever been.  But if there's a breakaway there's no question the Pac-12 will stay at the top level and it's doubtful the MWC will make the cut. 

Very true PAC12 schools have been years of being P5 yet competitively the MWC is just as good despite a much smaller budget or at least close this year.  We need a 12 to 14 team playoff which would allow a football Gonzaga. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.