Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Diego State at UNLV

11 hours ago, EZRebel said:

If the correct call made is made, UNLV moves into SDSU territory with first down and a minute or so to go. Rogers was on a roll.

Bugger.

Still proud of the Rebels putting up a competitive game against a top ranked football team.

Good luck in your bid for a big bowl game Aztecs.

Definitely bad luck for you guys but luck is cyclical.

Bad coaching is not cyclical as your string of bad coaches shows. However, Arroyo's been bringing in a bunch of talented young players. And as much as I bagged on your DC at the beginning of the season because the only guy on your defense who was tackling well then was #4, the DC and his assistants have been coaching them up bigly.

You guys need to find a good replacement for the Chuck Wagon but if you can to that, and with the recruiting ability your staff has shown as suspect you can, you could become bowl eligible as early as next season.

It was a tough and well played Ball Game. UNLV played to the max of their capabilities and came up short. The Aztecs played like they do and managed to score their second highest point total in MW play. Only in the UNM win did they score more.

I thought the 4th down play was to close to call. SUDS may have gotten away with one in a critical moment. However, that would have been negated by the hands to the face penalty and it still would have been 4th and four. I also noticed that even with Banks being offside, Rogers still had time to throw on that play. It was a horrible decision to make that throw. And the throw was off target.

The Aztecs like Boise, get everyones best shot every week. Despite being meh at QB, they mange to pull out wins every week. This is a talented and deep, Senior heavy squad. There are 27 4th or 5th year Seniors on this team and 23 of them play most of the snaps. They are playing like one would expect them to.

Good Luck against the Air Force next week.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

The Rebels remind me of the Spartans two years ago. You could see them coming on even when the record was bad. I think UNLV will have a winning record next year.

BIG difference is UNLV now has high quality facilities the basketball side of which provides an annual stream of considerable income so if they can keep around the good staff they now have, they should keep improving. In contrast, SJSU has bad facilities and no such income stream so there is little such reason for optimism about the future.

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

It was a tough and well played Ball Game. UNLV played to the max of their capabilities and came up short. The Aztecs played like they do and managed to score their second highest point total in MW play. Only in the UNM win did they score more.

I thought the 4th down play was to close to call. SUDS may have gotten away with one in a critical moment. However, that would have been negated by the hands to the face penalty and it still would have been 4th and four. I also noticed that even with Banks being offside, Rogers still had time to throw on that play. It was a horrible decision to make that throw. And the throw was off target.

The Aztecs like Boise, get everyones best shot every week. Despite being meh at QB, they mange to pull out wins every week. This is a talented and deep, Senior heavy squad. There are 27 4th or 5th year Seniors on this team and 23 of them play most of the snaps. They are playing like one would expect them to.

Just being a smartass but is that even possible?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

I thought it was 4th and 6?  No biggie if I'm wrong there.

5 hours ago, 702Canary said:

Just go ahead and lose to a AAC program in your next bowl game asswipe.  Seriously what kind of loser trolls a 2 win program?

No, no, no it's MAC teams SDSU has trouble beating in bowl games (until 2019). The Aztecs are 2-0 vs AAC teams in bowls.

SMOKE 'EM IF YOU'VE GOT 'EM!

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

No. The fact that he was offsides IS the penalty, every thing else is after that fact, play should have been dead. Tiger Shanks wouldn't have been sticking his hand up in the first place if he wasn't beaten because your guy jumped WAY ahead of the snap. This would have made it 1st down, with time for the rebs. They might not have won anyway, but they should have had their chance, regardless of whether Rogers had time to throw or not. And maybe Rogers isn't feeling rushed had your guy not jumped the gun. This is an argument that you wouldn't stand for if it was reversed.

Congrats on your win.

It really doesn’t matter. We need to position ourselves to win games and not to not lose them. We have had a habit of creating a devastating turnover early in the game and then needing to play catch-up. Last night was the interception deep in our end, early down 7. That late penalty not called hurt the conference more than us. It was obvious that the officials had an agenda and we saw it in real time and slow motion freeze frame. His entire body was across the line when the ball moved.

32 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

No. The fact that he was offsides IS the penalty, every thing else is after that fact, play should have been dead. Tiger Shanks wouldn't have been sticking his hand up in the first place if he wasn't beaten because your guy jumped WAY ahead of the snap. This would have made it 1st down, with time for the rebs. They might not have won anyway, but they should have had their chance, regardless of whether Rogers had time to throw or not. And maybe Rogers isn't feeling rushed had your guy not jumped the gun. This is an argument that you wouldn't stand for if it was reversed.

Congrats on your win.

Defensive offsides does not stop the play unless there is contact.

Watched the UNLV SDSU FB game live & the UNLV BB game on DVR......so to avoid "spoilers" I stayed off the interwebs............now that all is over & done with............let me say this about that! :oldman:

UNLV is making obvious improvements all over the FB field - still lots of things to clean up, but the improvement is there for anyone who's paying attention. :hmmm:

The game went about as I had anticipated..........the SDSU offense was anemic enough to allow UNLV to hang around. There's some decent young talent spread around the UNLV roster that should give hope to the coming seasons.............Rogers played surprisingly well considering his lack of playing time ...............The SDSU punter has an NFL career coming..........RB will be the position to worry about for UNLV going into next season, Magyar was the only back up to get much of any playing time this season & after that I really have no idea who's 3rd at RB.......think Arroyo might need to hit the transfer portal to fill the RB position ............SDSU was pretty much as expected, no offensive threat for the most part & the Aztec defense is what keeps them in games..........Not sure that SDSU is really as a good as their 19th ranking, but for the sake of the MWC we need to have SDSU beat BSU next week, but that is far from a given 

Was a decent game with UNLV showing some things......Rebs had the chance to win or tie - Best thing is that UNLV was in the game to the end & the team didn't pack it in down 21-10  :cheers:

UNLV loses to Air Force next week & probably in worse fashion than this week..........AF is a different bird & it's not easy to go up against the option offense & UNLV's on the rood to boot.:unsure:

SDSU could get a higher ranking with a win vs BSU next week....but I could see BSU winning fairly easy if they can get their offense going  :yoda:

8 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Defensive offsides does not stop the play unless there is contact.

And yet, one call was made, the other was not. The refs chose which call to make. They could have easily called the obvious one, and not the other. The breaks went your way, and cemented your win, which you likely would have had anyway. This is just becoming routine for the end of rebel games, lol. Frustrating for our team.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Watched the UNLV SDSU FB game live & the UNLV BB game on DVR......so to avoid "spoilers" I stayed off the interwebs............now that all is over & done with............let me say this about that! :oldman:

UNLV is making obvious improvements all over the FB field - still lots of things to clean up, but the improvement is there for anyone who's paying attention. :hmmm:

The game went about as I had anticipated..........the SDSU offense was anemic enough to allow UNLV to hang around. There's some decent young talent spread around the UNLV roster that should give hope to the coming seasons.............Rogers played surprisingly well considering his lack of playing time ...............The SDSU punter has an NFL career coming..........RB will be the position to worry about for UNLV going into next season, Magyar was the only back up to get much of any playing time this season & after that I really have no idea who's 3rd at RB.......think Arroyo might need to hit the transfer portal to fill the RB position ............SDSU was pretty much as expected, no offensive threat for the most part & the Aztec defense is what keeps them in games..........Not sure that SDSU is really as a good as their 19th ranking, but for the sake of the MWC we need to have SDSU beat BSU next week, but that is far from a given 

Was a decent game with UNLV showing some things......Rebs had the chance to win or tie - Best thing is that UNLV was in the game to the end & the team didn't pack it in down 21-10  :cheers:

UNLV loses to Air Force next week & probably in worse fashion than this week..........AF is a different bird & it's not easy to go up against the option offense & UNLV's on the rood to boot.:unsure:

SDSU could get a higher ranking with a win vs BSU next week....but I could see BSU winning fairly easy if they can get their offense going  :yoda:

I was totally impressed with Rogers performance, to the point where I was wondering who that actually was, lol. He did a fantastic job coming in cold, and his performance was like night and day from the first game against EW. He looked much more comfortable than Friel has, tbh, made some great throws for TDs, and seemed to not panic.

I may have to take back my early thoughts about him. I have kind of expected him to hit the transfer portal, and I wouldn't blame him.

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I was totally impressed with Rogers performance, to the point where I was wondering who that actually was, lol. He did a fantastic job coming in cold, and his performance was like night and day from the first game against EW. He looked much more comfortable than Friel has, tbh, made some great throws for TDs, and seemed to not panic.

I may have to take back my early thoughts about him. I have kind of expected him to hit the transfer portal, and I wouldn't blame him.

It's been said around here that this roster might have the deepest overall QB talent of any UNLV roster ............Friel, Brumfield & Rogers aren't that bad of a trio & we once thought that it was a quad of UNLV QB's with Martell, but it's obvious now Martell is not going to be QB at UNLV

As you mentioned.......with the QB depth, the players desire to play & the transfer portal available.........can or will UNLV be able to keep the 3 or even 2 around for next season ?!?! 

REBEL OF THE GAME: Rogers became the first UNLV quarterback to throw for at least 300 yards in a game since 2018 when Max Gilliam finished with 387 vs. San Jose State. The former TCU transfer completed 15-of-21 attempts for 305 yards and two scores.

STAT OF THE GAME:

UNLV's average field position was its own 18-yard line while SDSU's was its own 36. Aztec punter Matt Araiza dropped five of his six attempts inside the 20, including pinning the Rebels at their own six in the third quarter and then at their own one with 10 minutes remaining in the game.

QUOTABLE:

"We're not where we want to be, we expect to win those games, especially against good opponents, because at the end of the day we've got to find a way. These guys have fought, they are tough, they've been growing, they are resilient, they've got a bunch of pride in the locker room and you can see that they are playing for each other. We've got another week to fight and I'm fired up to be next to them shoulder to shoulder."

-UNLV Head Coach Marcus Arroyo

REBEL NOTES:

-SDSU was the fourth ranked opponent to face UNLV this fall, the most since playing five in 2010

-14 Seniors were honored on the field in pregame ceremonies

-Legendary Rebel running back Ickey Woods was in attendance and met up with the man who broke his UNLV carries record last week, fellow Fresnan Charles Williams

-LB Jacoby Windmon turned in a career-best three quarterback sacks, which was the fourth-most in UNLV single-season history

-Windmon's game-high 12 total tackles pushed him past the 100 TT mark for the season at 102

-CB Ricky Johnson made the play of the game by breaking up a pass attempt and then catching it while lying on his back to mark his third interception in two games

-Steve Jenkins tied for the 15th-most receiving yards in UNLV history with a career-high 176 on just five catches

-Super Senior tight end Gio Fauolo, who returned from serious injury a few weeks earlier, caught a beautiful eight-yard touchdown pass for his first score of the season and fifth of his career

-Kicker Daniel Gutierrez made both of his field goal attempts to improve to 37-of-45 attempts in his career and 28-of-29 from 39 yards or shorter

-The Rebels have played the Aztecs more than any other original MW team (31)

-Former UNLV head coach Jeff Horton serves as associate head coach/RBs for SDSU

-Former Rebel great Hunkie Cooper is the SDSU WR coach

NEXT FOR THE REBELS:

UNLV will play its season finale next Friday at Air Force starting at 12:30 pm PT. The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

And yet, one call was made, the other was not. The refs chose which call to make. They could have easily called the obvious one, and not the other. The breaks went your way, and cemented your win, which you likely would have had anyway. This is just becoming routine for the end of rebel games, lol. Frustrating for our team.

I was just responding to you saying “everything else is after the fact, play should have been dead.” If the offsides is called, the play doesn’t stop. After the play the penalties offset and the down is replayed.