Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

The Future of the Big12

20 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Once UH has full voting rights, I know how we are going to vote.  West.  It's an untapped eyeball market despite the alleged, all clogged east coast bias re platform money.  The west coast is under exploited other than hapless PAC.  It's time to make a difference and secure things. 

UCF, Cincy, West Virginia, Memphis do their job.  The crowded middle with Iowa State, both Kansas squads, Oklahoma State, Tech, Baylor, UH, arrogant unwarranted TCU in the middle. 

BYU, San Diego State, Boise State, team x solidify the West. 

What other Central, Mountain, or Pacific Time Zone teams move the Needle ?

Hint: None

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

The Big 12 commish has said he doesn't see more expansion in the hear near future, a few AD's from Big 12 have said the same thing however Big 12 does have a short list of schools they would look toward first and Memphis and Boise are both on that list. But in reality I think the big boys are done with expansion it will be movement under them now.

I still think it all depends on how soon Texas and OU want out.

0mK6pGK.png

24 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I really don't know if they want to go bigger than 14 though

Even without Texas and Oklahoma the Big 12 will still be considered a P5 conference (according to this article), so I think they'll stay at 12.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/11/12/college-football-playoff-will-either-expand-to-12-or-stay-at-4-report/

14 minutes ago, crixus said:

Even without Texas and Oklahoma the Big 12 will still be considered a P5 conference (according to this article), so I think they'll stay at 12.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2021/11/12/college-football-playoff-will-either-expand-to-12-or-stay-at-4-report/

Everything I have been hearing since they expanded has been staying at 12 unless they feel there is a move to 14 but there has been no talk of going above that. 

15 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Everything I have been hearing since they expanded has been staying at 12 unless they feel there is a move to 14 but there has been no talk of going above that. 

I follow the Big 12 closely (Mountaineers fan) and from what I've read on their board it looks like 12. That adding two more talk came and went pretty fast. And I think the PAC 12 will stay as they are too. People get caught up in expansion talks and let their imagination run wild (not referring to anyone here). I even saw an article where people were discussing a merger of the Big Ten and Big 12. :rolleyes: 

36 minutes ago, crixus said:

I follow the Big 12 closely (Mountaineers fan) and from what I've read on their board it looks like 12. That adding two more talk came and went pretty fast. And I think the PAC 12 will stay as they are too. People get caught up in expansion talks and let their imagination run wild (not referring to anyone here). I even saw an article where people were discussing a merger of the Big Ten and Big 12. :rolleyes: 

I think that was pure fantasy that came up when Texas and Oklahoma left, but everything I have read from people they are going to be staying at 12 however they did leave the door open for 14 if things developed. And I agree I think the bigs are done, unless something comes up in the TV deal talks

On 11/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, HR_Poke said:

Did someone say map?!?

I recommend looking at a map in a non Albers conformal conic projection. Pick a Platte carre derived protection or something cylindrical.  Really anything mercator and it will show that CA curves to the east along the coast line to show it's not really that far from boise when you are looking at lines of longitude. 

Now if you are referring to Euclidean distance then yeah its way more than 50 miles.

Huh?

I love maps, but you obviously know way, way, way more about them than I do. 

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

They’re the third best football league and best basketball league.  If there’s a power 4 coming it’ll have them in it.

Without Texas and Oklahoma they are nothing but a glorified G-5 conference.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Mark this day, boys and girls.

Its the day Woosh officially took his 1st step toward abandoning the sinking ship USS AAC...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

…that’s still better than any conference other than the sec and big 10.  Why choose such a silly hill to die on?

Lol! Clemson has more CFP appearances (and almost as many NY6 appearances) than all the new Big 12 schools combined. The new Big 12 might be better than the PAC some years, but most years it will easily be the weakest major conference. If it continues to be a "major conference" at all.

4 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Lol! Clemson has more CFP appearances (and almost as many NY6 appearances) than all the new Big 12 schools combined. The new Big 12 might be better than the PAC some years, but most years it will easily be the weakest major conference. If it continues to be a "major conference" at all.

The ACC is bad at football.  Big12 is not. The PAC is the (geographic) diversity hire.  Some years? Lol. What are you basing your opinion on, seriously?

13 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

That is an individual team metric, not a conference metric.  Tell me how good the second best ACC team has been over the last 10 years.  I don't think it is too much to say that, as a conference, the Big 12 will rank ahead of the ACC in almost any computer ranking, any year.

12 hours ago, masterfrog said:

That is an individual team metric, not a conference metric.  Tell me how good the second best ACC team has been over the last 10 years.  I don't think it is too much to say that, as a conference, the Big 12 will rank ahead of the ACC in almost any computer ranking, any year.

Take out OUT and Clemson, the New12 and the ACC fall below the MW in FB.

When Wake Forest becomes your FB Standard Bearer........You got issues.

At least the first two Conferences have Basketball going for them. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

4CC4288F-C135-40D4-A20F-ABD1BD4D1925.gif.0b876c1e5839f42998a618f22f619516.gif

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Take out OUT and Clemson, the New12 and the ACC fall below the MW in FB.

When Wake Forest becomes your FB Standard Bearer........You got issues.

At least the first two Conferences have Basketball going for them. 

Below the MW?  

13 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Some of these folks are desperate for the nBigXII to lose power status.  Reality is, there will still be a massive divide between the Top5 conferences and the rest.  The divide for 3-5 will be fairly small and you will see shuffling year to year.  If “power” status remains a thing then the nBigXII will be included. 

v0icAvfW.jpg

No one thinks any changes need to be made until they do. All it will take is a minor shift from the Power 4 to decide they want to go to the full 16 and it will affect everyone all over again. I'm honestly not even sure the new Big12 plays a single season under the proposed realignment. The remaining teams from the original Big12 will always be the jilted and looking for a way to move on because they feel left behind by their peers. That collection of teams as it stands does not have the rivalries, common geographic interests, or any of the traditional things that spell success for a college conference. It is just leftovers that were told they weren't good enough combined with programs desperate to show they should have a seat at the adult table now.

All it will take is for the Big10 to decide it wants to keep up the the Jonses (SEC) and go to 16 by inviting KU and ISU. The Big12 blue bloods already left in football, KU hoops is the only blue blood program left in that conference. KU and ISU make perfect geographic sense and already have natural rivalries in the Big10. They are also the last remaining AAU schools which is a huge deal to the BIG10. Once that shoe drops, how long is it before the ACC is making moves to backfill and needs WVU to come home? It will go and on until the power 4 are settled on the alignment they need to line their pockets with the most $$$.

In any case, whether it is in 2 years, 5 years, or 8 years from now, the current Big12 is not part of the plan when it comes to the power conferences. For now, it is the best of the rest and depending on how much it gets raided moving forward- it may not even be that in 8-10 years from now.