Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They were charged without political pressure, which is what you did say. They were charged before anyone had ever heard of the case.

This isn't even close to correct. Here's an AP story dated May 20: https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2020/05/ahmaud-arbery-case-what-took-so-long-for-arrests-to-be-made.html. That's five days before Floyd was murdered. 

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

Without the leaked video there would be no arrests...come on.

From an AP story on their arrest: “They did not arrest the killers of Ahmaud Arbery because they saw the video,” Arbery family attorney Ben Crump said Friday in an interview with The Associated Press. “They arrested the killers of Ahmaud Arbery because we saw the video, the public saw the video and it went viral. It was shocking. People were astonished.” 

8 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Probably because he made a bunch of assertions that don’t pan out while leaving out a lot of inconvenient things for his argument. I don’t appreciate being disingenuously misinformed. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/americans-killed-protests-political-unrest-acled

image.png.7ded39e314bf55393f01099feb09230f.png

Harriot is correct about the exaggerated threat and response to BLM. Basically the whole point of his piece. 

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Somebody yesterday posted some Twitter ramblings from some Portland protest groups basically taking this lesson to heart. We're in for some more fun times I am afraid.

What other lesson would you take? Self-defense laws are influenced by people who think being a patriot means carrying a gun all the time, pulling the gun on someone, and then after you kill them because you were scared because pulling a gun raises the stakes to the ultimate level, claiming it was OK to kill them because the stakes were so high. If I was a lefty activist, or even really someone whose style offended rednecks, I would absolutely be buying guns I could conceal under heavy clothing right now. And then taking them to every protest or riot or shopping trip I decided to go on. After all, these days the new castle doctrine is that your castle is your sweatshirt. Or your gun. Or whatever it is you bring with you when you leave your castle. 

I'm a free-speech lunatic. But even I am against SLAP lawsuits. At a certain point, the legal system becomes politicized by those who use it to their benefit. Right-wing gun nuts seem to not have such self-awareness, well unless it's when black people have guns. Because then people defending themselves in such situations are involved in gang shoot outs. Which is different for some reason. 

Gun nuts need to get their shit together. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Uh, he wasn't given a chance, lawlor. He was approached by unmarked vehicles and gunned down, after which, Trump stated that he was killed and "That was the way it has to be. There has to be retribution"... they didn't want to arrest him".

Reinoehl furthermore was worried about surrendering, thinking he'd be killed by the police - something that ended up happening and confirmed by the goddamn President of the United States of America.

Give me a break dude. 

Yeah, he reached for a gun while being arrested for gunning down someone in the street. I can’t believe this is the guy you are hung up on and but Trump is what you’re left with.

Meanwhile, Rittenhouse turned himself in to the first police station that wasn’t barricaded.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Yeah, he reached for a gun while being arrested for gunning down someone in the street. I can’t believe this is the guy you are hung up on and but Trump is what you’re left with.

Right, after Danielson charged him intent on doing violence, with items more dangerous than a skateboard.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Meanwhile, Rittenhouse turned himself in to the first police station that wasn’t barricaded.

Right, secure in the thought that he wouldn't be killed in police custody. 

I mean dude, the parallels are as clear as the differences in outcome. You just don't want them to be or your whole point falls apart. 

You're a smart dude but when it comes to stuff like this your brain gets in a box and you simply refuse to consider the police as an active participant or a biased agent. It's laughable. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/31/americans-killed-protests-political-unrest-acled

image.png.7ded39e314bf55393f01099feb09230f.png

Harriot is correct about the exaggerated threat and response to BLM. Basically the whole point of his piece. 

No, it wasn’t the point of his piece. But it is nice of him to point to Kenosha as a typical BLM protest to undercut any point you’re trying to make. Also, 20 murders is a lot.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

And for the record, I don't think he necessarily should have been convicted of murder. I'm just saying that this situation is +++++ed up. Period. And it's not +++++ed up just because MSNBC has twits who say dumb shit. MSNBC has had twits who say dumb shit since MSNBC has existed. This is +++++ed up because lunatics think it's cool to deputize themselves and go after their political enemies, period. Women understand this in Texas. The families of the victims of KR understand this (and yes, they are victims. +++++ you.) And in this case, the leaving body bags in your wake makes you some sort of folk hero who meets ex-presidents. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Right, after Danielson charged him intent on doing violence, with items more dangerous than a skateboard.

Right, secure in the thought that he wouldn't be killed in police custody. 

I mean dude, the parallels are as clear as the differences in outcome. You just don't want them to be or your whole point falls apart. 

You're a smart dude but when it comes to stuff like this your brain gets in a box and you simply refuse to consider the police as an active participant or a biased agent. It's laughable. 

Happy, you’re drowning here. You want the world be one way, but it’s constantly proving to be the other way. You can’t narrative your way out of this.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

No, it wasn’t the point of his piece. But it is nice of him to point to Kenosha as a typical BLM protest to undercut any point you’re trying to make. Also, 20 murders is a lot.

A lot as in a murder happened at .2% of BLM protests? Any murders are too many but when impartial conflict monitor notes the media and politicians significantly exxagerated something I am surprised a conservative doesnt believe that. 

Just now, AztecSU said:

A lot as in a murder happened at .2% of BLM protests? Any murders are too many but when impartial conflict monitor notes the media significantly exxagerated something I am surprised a conservative doesnt believe that. 

Impartial? I’m glad they get to decide in your mind which murders are which, but the dead stay dead. And that the riots contributed to them is pretty indisputable at this point. Which is why he ignores them. So was Kenosha a typical BLM protest that all white people fear the most, as he says, or was it atypical and he’s disingenuously trying to make point that you’re trying to defend by not defending it?

4 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Happy, you’re drowning here. You want the world be one way, but it’s constantly proving to be the other way. You can’t narrative your way out of this.

lmfao how am I "drowning"? by pointing out that in literally the only comparable case in the country that year, your supposed "well they never even would have been tried!!!!" comment is true only insofar as the killer was himself a victim of political assassination!?

Jesus Christ dude! All I have to do is trust what my eyes see to know you're full of shit, big brother

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Impartial? I’m glad they get to decide in your mind which murders are which, but the dead stay dead. And that the riots contributed to them is pretty indisputable at this point. Which is why he ignores them. So was Kenosha a typical BLM protest that all white people fear the most, as he says, or was it atypical and he’s disingenuously trying to make point that you’re trying to defend by not defending it?

Oh wow, you are predictable...I figured you were more independent than this...nothing is more conservative these days than dismissing sources you disagree with. But I am willing to hear you out, please demonstrate that ACLED is not impartial and I will listen. 

To answer your question, how many shootings and people shot at the protest before Kyle showed up? Is the punishment for assault murder by an inexperienced teen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Conflict_Location_and_Event_Data_Project

9 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Narratives are funny. As it turns out, the world is not one way at all. It goes in all directions all the time. From the Washington Post, dated May 8, 2020, 17 days before George Floyd was murdered:

Activists, politicians and legal experts across the country have raised alarm that it took 74 days and the graphic, viral video of Ahmaud Arbery’s final moments to compel authorities to arrest the father and son suspected of cornering the 25-year-old with a pickup truck before he was gunned down.

Just now, happycamper said:

lmfao how am I "drowning"? by pointing out that in literally the only comparable case in the country that year, your supposed "well they never even would have been tried!!!!" comment is true only insofar as the killer was himself a victim of political assassination!?

Jesus Christ dude! All I have to do is trust what my eyes see to know you're full of shit, big brother

It wasn’t comparable. You even said there is no comparable case. The video shows it’s not comparable. Political assignation now?
:digging::sh*tfan:

The more interesting conversation for me about the Rittenhouse situation was whether he SHOULD be criminally liable for a murder or manslaughter crime. The debate around whether he could claim self-defense in WI just wasn’t a very interesting discussion, to me.

Like is it self-defense? Based on how WI laws are written, yea. And? That’s like if a person is arguing against drug laws and the only thing a person says to  rebut them is “well federal law says it’s illegal”. Kind of misses the whole point of the debate.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

It wasn’t comparable. You even said there is no comparable case. The video shows it’s not comparable. Political assignation now?
:digging::sh*tfan:

How is it not comparable? 
I mean, obviously, the Rittenhouse case is unique. But as far as literally every other killing in the US in 2020, they are as close as they get.

And the outcome isn't REMOTELY similar.

Lawlor, it is starting to feel like you consider state hits of leftists acceptable and the state condoning right wing killers unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

Oh wow, you are predictable...I figured you were more independent than this...nothing is more conservative these days than dismissing sources you disagree with. But I am willing to hear you out, please demonstrate that ACLED is not impartial and I will listen. 

To answer your question, how many shootings and people shot at the protest before Kyle showed up? Is the punishment for assault murder by an inexperienced teen?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Conflict_Location_and_Event_Data_Project

It wasn’t murder. And yeah, if you assault somebody don’t be surprised when bad stuff happens to you. This isn’t hard. Don’t assault people.

I didn’t dismiss them. I just declined to give them arbitrary authority over what constitutes “political violence” as they define it. I agree with them there more murders than were nakedly political in nature. That doesn’t make the less nakedly political murders less murdered to me.