Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlunm07

C-USA Trying to Stay Alive

18 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

The opinions and suggestions on this thread are all over the place.  I get that these boards are for speculation, but wow.  Here is what I think I know: 

CUSA will remain as a conference.

NMSU is not joining a far flung conference. We already travel to Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and other places today.  Having to go to Miami isn't much different than what we are currently doing.  The rest of the CUSA teams are not anything different that what our travel is like in the WAC.

The Dakotas and Montana's are not going FBS.  

The WAC is already in talks to add McNeese State and Incarnate Word.  The WAC currently has 13 members and can stand to lose a few but are hedging against that by looking to expand.

No conference can kick out full members.  That has never happened in the history of college sports.  Temp members have been asked to leave (NMSU, Idaho, Temple, Chicago State, etc.) but full members have never been "kicked out".  So Arkansas Little Rock and Arlington will not be kicked out of the SB.  Seattle will not be kicked out of the WAC.

Liberty was not being held of conferences because of academic snobbery.  It is their religious beliefs.  But as was noted, they are very strong in basketball and football.  Will be at the top of CUSA in both sports.

The WAC had a chance to be a really good basketball league with the new additions.  But CUSA will probably be better.  LaTech and Liberty were both top 100 KenPom programs the past 2 years.  NMSU was the highest ranked WAC KenPom team (109).

There is an article attached to the Brett McMurphy post.  In the article, it states that UCONN and UMASS are still in play as FB only members for CUSA.  Check out this video put out by UMASS on 10/31/21.  Their AD actually shows a brochure specifically put together for CUSA membership.  

Interesting. The TV contract is in 4 million homes

The Masters 5k road race All American.

28 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Why ?

They already play OOC in just about every sport under the sun. Being in a Conference together means there are extra OOC slots to fill.

Being in an FBS conference with a rival down the road easily beats being in the WAC for oly sports and playing independent football.   Liberty, La Tech, SHSU, and UTEP will all be fun conference games in football and basketball.  And NMSU still has room to schedule multiple MWC in football.  I just don't see the downside.  If anything, it buys at least 5 more years of FBS football without the risk that comes with independence.  If UTEP gets back to the basketball program they had in the 80s and 90s,  it could be a good basketball conference too.

For all the talk that NDSU fans have done on this board about wanting to move up,  it looks like the powers that be are perfectly happy at the FCS level.  I'm not sure a window is going to open again for several more years.  Nothing wrong with that.  

14 hours ago, Spot50B said:

The scuttlebutt is that the Sun Belt plans to get rid of them with all their new additions and Conference USA would be the logical landing spot.

Western Kentucky is more of a basketball school so that will play into their decision as well. Both conferences appear to be one-bid leagues. Little Rock has had some good years. Liberty has been good as you mentioned but Buffalo has had a couple good b-ball teams as well recently.

If they do leave Sun Belt yes it would be logical for them to move to CUSA unless MWC has their eyes on Arlington. 

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

If they do leave Sun Belt yes it would be logical for them to move to CUSA unless MWC has their eyes on Arlington. 

Why would the Sun Belt be getting rid of anyone at this point?  I don't see it happening.  

4 hours ago, robe said:

Do we have official dates on moves?  BYU is set for 2023. OU/TX no later than 2025. AAC to big 12 no later than 2024. Not sure on others. But as far as I know BYU is the only one with a definite date. 

AAC additions?
Sun belt additions?

Pending 

conf USA additions 

WAC additions?

independents?

All in the future but again a lot depends on Texas and Oklahoma as well. I think Big 12 has a staggered plan for schools coming in but some are as soon as July 2022 and some as far away as 2025 as well.

4 hours ago, PojoPops said:

The opinions and suggestions on this thread are all over the place.  I get that these boards are for speculation, but wow.  Here is what I think I know: 

CUSA will remain as a conference.

NMSU is not joining a far flung conference. We already travel to Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and other places today.  Having to go to Miami isn't much different than what we are currently doing.  The rest of the CUSA teams are not anything different that what our travel is like in the WAC.

The Dakotas and Montana's are not going FBS.  

The WAC is already in talks to add McNeese State and Incarnate Word.  The WAC currently has 13 members and can stand to lose a few but are hedging against that by looking to expand.

No conference can kick out full members.  That has never happened in the history of college sports.  Temp members have been asked to leave (NMSU, Idaho, Temple, Chicago State, etc.) but full members have never been "kicked out".  So Arkansas Little Rock and Arlington will not be kicked out of the SB.  Seattle will not be kicked out of the WAC.

Liberty was not being held out of conferences because of academic snobbery.  It is their religious beliefs.  But as was noted, they are very strong in basketball and football.  Will be at the top of CUSA in both sports.

The WAC had a chance to be a really good basketball league with the new additions.  But CUSA will probably be better.  LaTech and Liberty were both top 100 KenPom programs the past 2 years.  NMSU was the highest ranked WAC KenPom team (109).

There is an article attached to the Brett McMurphy post.  In the article, it states that UCONN and UMASS are still in play as FB only members for CUSA.  Check out this video put out by UMASS on 10/31/21.  Their AD actually shows a brochure specifically put together for CUSA membership.  

They are exchanging Chicago St for Southern Utah for next year and Rio Grande is coming in with their football as well I think WAC was in better shape than CUSA before this. But if I was the WAC I would focus on Murray St, they have had a solid basketball past and football past and they want out of Ohio Valley as that conference is losing schools left and right. Then I would look at McNeese St, they have a good football past there. But their goal is to move up to FBS so probably need to look at schools that want to move up as well. 

22 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Why would the Sun Belt be getting rid of anyone at this point?  I don't see it happening.  

Well Sun Belt won't get rid of anyone, but there have been rumblings that Arkansas Little Rock and UT Arlington wants to leave Sun Belt Conference. And if those rumors are true CUSA could be a perfect fit for both of them.

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

This is nuts

Southland is going to be dead soon, they were a dying conference before along with Ohio Valley. I still think WAC should have looked at Murray St who wants out of Ohio Valley badly but what is funny is they were two of the schools that pushed the others out early essentially saying if you don't want to be here leave now LOL

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Southland is going to be dead soon, they were a dying conference before along with Ohio Valley. I still think WAC should have looked at Murray St who wants out of Ohio Valley badly but what is funny is they were two of the schools that pushed the others out early essentially saying if you don't want to be here leave now LOL

There's already talk of the remaining Southland schools linking up with either the SOCON, OVC and even the Big South on the FCS Forums

16 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

What's also funny is that in the opposite way, it applies to the WAC.  The Texas 4 - Sam Houston State, Lamar, Abilene Christian and Stephen F Austin -  ditched the Southland to get away from Incarnate Word and McNeese State.  Now they're adding - Incarnate Word and McNeese State? Talk about rich.

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Well Sun Belt won't get rid of anyone, but there have been rumblings that Arkansas Little Rock and UT Arlington wants to leave Sun Belt Conference. And if those rumors are true CUSA could be a perfect fit for both of them.

Agreed.  The SB can't kick them out.  But they may want to leave.  If they want to leave and CUSA is amenable, I think they would also be good CUSA additions.

6 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

There's already talk of the remaining Southland schools linking up with either the SOCON, OVC and even the Big South on the FCS Forums

Right but  conference or conferences would be gone at the FCS level for football

23 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Right but  conference or conferences would be gone at the FCS level for football

Correct however there are so many FCS conferences (15 currently including WAC and ASUN) losing one or even two isn't as huge when compared to FBS. We also don't really have the P5 / G5 split as all FCS Conference have a shot of reaching the playoffs 

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

This is nuts

Nothing screams "western" like Lake Charles, LA and San Antonio :rolleyes:

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

1 hour ago, utgrizfan said:

Correct however there are so many FCS conferences (15 currently including WAC and ASUN) losing one or even two isn't as huge when compared to FBS. We also don't really have the P5 / G5 split as all FCS Conference have a shot of reaching the playoffs 

That is not true. Ivy, MEAC and SWAC do not participate in the FCS playoffs. I think any conference that disappears on either level is something big personally. 

It shouldn’t be that surprising that CUSA may come out of this. There is no motivation among the remaining schools to just give away the exit fee money, so of course they are going to try and get whoever they can to save the conference.