Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlunm07

C-USA Trying to Stay Alive

39 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

just to go join CUSA v4.0? damn...what a waste.

Big East is a step up.  Several steps up.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

so they paid us 17 million just to end up in CUSA? wow, UConn...wow.

Yea, but they are in a power conference and are making more money, so I’m sure they are very happy with their decision.

10 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Considering what conference the Tigers mbb plays in versus where the UConn mbb plays now?

propping up basketball while crippling football is not worth 17 million.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea, but they are in a power conference and are making more money, so I’m sure they are very happy with their decision.

CUSA is a power? I knew we should have stayed!

4f00oc.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Big East. 

ah, the non-football conference...that doesn't work for anyone with football hopes.

I would respect UConn more if they just killed of football or went FCS.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

They didn’t “pay” anything because the move was profitable.

their football fans have paid dearly IMHO....I say this as someone who grew up on Memphis football.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

their football fans have paid dearly IMHO....I say this as someone who grew up on Memphis football.

Such as it is....

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, UofMTigers said:

There are probably like 14 UConn fans that are die hard football fans and don’t care about basketball. I am sure that move was incredibly popular among their fan base.

you just have to understand we (Memphis football fans) pushed this thing/program from dead in the gutter to playing in Cotton/Liberty Bowls while regularly beating teams like Ole Miss, Miss State, and even UCLA. I'll be damned if we're just gonna take our (basket)ball saying screw it lets go home and hoop.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

propping up basketball while crippling football is not worth 17 million.

It must have been to get away from the AAC 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

My guess is that CUSA will snag NMSU (no brainer) UMASS, UCONN and Liberty.  They may try and bring on a couple more teams that have full sports with FCS teams in hopes they'll be ready to take a step up to FBS, it's going to happen, CUSA lives on. 

20 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Southern Utah isn't really a conference that fits them and they have been looking for something like the WAC to come up so I think they will come. Right now I think WAC is at 12 member schools, for everything else. Maybe WAC turns to some of the other schools who have their football in another conference but the rest of their sports in WAC about coming into the WAC then. I mean let's face it Sam Houston St is not ready to move to FBS, Tartleton St is more ready than they are. If NMSU, Sam Houston St and Tartleton left, then Southern Utah comes in they actually only lose one football member but overall the conference would have 11 schools still in it I think the WAC would survive a raid honestly. Seattle and Grand Canyon are aiming for West Coast Conference but I don't see them heading there anytime soon and if one did i think it would be Seattle since they have been in the Conference before. 

The WAC needs to change their name... to the SWAC (I know it's already taken, but seriously....) 

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

you just have to understand we (Memphis football fans) pushed this thing/program from dead in the gutter to playing in Cotton/Liberty Bowls while regularly beating teams like Ole Miss, Miss State, and even UCLA. I'll be damned if we're just gonna take our (basket)ball saying screw it lets go home and hoop.

And Memphis and UConn's football situations are completely different

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

ah, the non-football conference...that doesn't work for anyone with football hopes.

I would respect UConn more if they just killed of football or went FCS.

I don't know why they decided to bring up their football program from the FCS.........oh I think BIg East needed another football team in there

56 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

My guess is that CUSA will snag NMSU (no brainer) UMASS, UCONN and Liberty.  They may try and bring on a couple more teams that have full sports with FCS teams in hopes they'll be ready to take a step up to FBS, it's going to happen, CUSA lives on. 

But they need fulltime members not part time members to remain as a conference. To me bring in full time members first as that is their need then you could bring in the football only schools.

16 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

That gives you as many NYD bowl appearances as...UConn.

And suggesting that a Liberty Bowl appearance that y'all backed into is somehow significant is really ludicrous.

12 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

But they need fulltime members not part time members to remain as a conference. To me bring in full time members first as that is their need then you could bring in the football only schools.

It actually makes more sense to focus on getting as many FBS programs as possible first. Transitioning to FBS takes time, so they need to know exactly how many FCS schools they will be relying on to stay afloat ASAP.

Getting non-football full members to balance out any football-only schools will be incredibly easy for them and can be done pretty quickly.