Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlunm07

C-USA Trying to Stay Alive

Also when looking at it doesn't really make sense to add any football only schools. Yes they'll have a bit of money from the exit fees but I feel they would need to be smarter with it. The better option would be to get NMSU and Liberty as full members. At that point it would behoove them to try to get a waiver from the NCAA and call up one or more FCS programs. Similar to the American they could keep the majority the money for the existing programs and only offer a portion to the new FCS schools.

15 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Also when looking at it doesn't really make sense to add any football only schools. Yes they'll have a bit of money from the exit fees but I feel they would need to be smarter with it. The better option would be to get NMSU and Liberty as full members. At that point it would behoove them to try to get a waiver from the NCAA and call up one or more FCS programs. Similar to the American they could keep the majority the money for the existing programs and only offer a portion to the new FCS schools.

That as the point I was kind of making do these things and then invite UMass and UConn as football only members later. However in the same rules where was reading about being able to be a FBS school it does say there will be no waivers for certain criteria which includes number of sports, attendance and other things in their bylaws. 

48 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

That as the point I was kind of making do these things and then invite UMass and UConn as football only members later. However in the same rules where was reading about being able to be a FBS school it does say there will be no waivers for certain criteria which includes number of sports, attendance and other things in their bylaws. 

I believe UTA and UALR are full members of the Sun Belt. If the rumors are true about the Belt kicking them out, Conference USA would be the logical landing spot for them. They can help take care of the 8 full member requirement.  If UConn and UMass could negotiate a deal to be football-only members with little to no buyout, it may be mutually beneficial. UConn and UMass get access to the College Football Playoff money and get the benefit of playing for something (Conference Championship, bowl games, something to sell recruits). Conference USA gets to have enough teams to meet the minimum football requirements while the new FCS schools transition to FBS.  It might last 3-5 years, which would be long enough.

The Sun Belt and WAC both brought in some schools for a year or two (remember when Texas State was in the WAC?). I'm pretty sure the also WAC got waivers to remain as a conference when all its football schools left (sans NMSU).

8 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

I believe UTA and UALR are full members of the Sun Belt. If the rumors are true about the Belt kicking them out, Conference USA would be the logical landing spot for them. They can help take care of the 8 full member requirement.  If UConn and UMass could negotiate a deal to be football-only members with little to no buyout, it may be mutually beneficial. UConn and UMass get access to the College Football Playoff money and get the benefit of playing for something (Conference Championship, bowl games, something to sell recruits). Conference USA gets to have enough teams to meet the minimum football requirements while the new FCS schools transition to FBS.  It might last 3-5 years, which would be long enough.

The Sun Belt and WAC both brought in some schools for a year or two (remember when Texas State was in the WAC?). I'm pretty sure the also WAC got waivers to remain as a conference when all its football schools left (sans NMSU).

WAC stopped football in 2012 but they had other schools in the conference for non-football and had 10 schools in 2012, in 2013 had 8 schools, which they stayed at until 2018 when Cal Baptist came in and then Bakersfield left but in came Dixie and Tarleton St. So WAC did stop sponsoring football, the still had enough schools to remain a conference under NCAA since all the conferences in all the sports are all Division I. In 2012 they did have 7 members playing football but did have two one the way so they may have gotten a waiver for that one season for football the rest of the conference had enough to remain at Division I. And since everyone left before 2013 and with NMSU and Idaho saying they would do the 2013 as independents that is when WAC decided to do away with football and continue as a non-football conference where they had more schools.

3 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I think NMSU would be nuts to join unless CUSA has seven other full members lined up to be part of the conference with them..

C-USA would have a two year grace period to get back to FBS compliance, so NMSU and a couple FCS callups would work.

It does beg the questions, though.  If the WAC gets raided, does Southern Utah back out of joining?  And what happens with Cal Baptist, Seattle and GCU?

6 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

C-USA would have a two year grace period to get back to FBS compliance, so NMSU and a couple FCS callups would work.

It does beg the questions, though.  If the WAC gets raided, does Southern Utah back out of joining?  And what happens with Cal Baptist, Seattle and GCU?

Southern Utah isn't really a conference that fits them and they have been looking for something like the WAC to come up so I think they will come. Right now I think WAC is at 12 member schools, for everything else. Maybe WAC turns to some of the other schools who have their football in another conference but the rest of their sports in WAC about coming into the WAC then. I mean let's face it Sam Houston St is not ready to move to FBS, Tartleton St is more ready than they are. If NMSU, Sam Houston St and Tartleton left, then Southern Utah comes in they actually only lose one football member but overall the conference would have 11 schools still in it I think the WAC would survive a raid honestly. Seattle and Grand Canyon are aiming for West Coast Conference but I don't see them heading there anytime soon and if one did i think it would be Seattle since they have been in the Conference before. 

10 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

According to some Tarleton State fans they had a full house. For some reason it looks like they played Southern Utah at a completely different field than their home stadium this year. Their last game according to the reported info was 16,200 people.

It was at Globe Life Park in Arlington.  The Texas Rangers old field.  Drew about 8500.  I happened to be on site that night, at Globe Life Field for the Rangers game.  They had big attendance for their last game because the opponent - Midwestern State in Wichita Falls - brought good numbers.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

It was at Globe Life Park in Arlington.  The Texas Rangers old field.  Drew about 8500.  I happened to be on site that night, at Globe Life Field for the Rangers game.  They had big attendance for their last game because the opponent - Midwestern State in Wichita Falls - brought good numbers.

Thanks for clarifying between the Park and Field.  Air Force and Army will be the first football game to be held at GL Field on Nov. 6th. 

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

7 minutes ago, SpaceForced said:

Thanks for clarifying between the Park and Field.  Air Force and Army will be the first football game to be held at GL Field on Nov. 6th. 

Yeah...having them both sponsored by the same company is confusing...which is probably why Globe Life Park is now Choctaw Stadium.  That changed just a few weeks ago.  

8 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

I don't think the WAC will get raided.  NMSU might get an invite and maybe one or two others can make the commitment to move up in next 2-3 years.  That leaves plenty of members to keep the WAC going, and they will just look for teams to move up and replace.  CUSA just needs 2 or 3 schools right now.  If Liberty joins NMSU in a move,  that starts to look like a decent basketball conference, at least the top half.  NMSU has always played both UTEP and UNM every year in football and twice in basketball.  If NMSU ends up in CUSA, that frees up OOC games in both sports while keeping the rivalry games in place.  If the invite doesn't happen,  oly sports are fine in WAC and indy schedules look great for next few years.  Either way,  NMSU will be in good shape.  That's a far different scenario than we were in when WAC 1.0 collapsed a decade ago.  

17 hours ago, jlunm07 said:

Looks like C-USA is in talks with Liberty, NM St, and UCONN (football only)

https://theathletic.com/news/conference-usa-in-negotiations-with-new-mexico-state-liberty-uconn-source/aLlHui68hjCp/

so they paid us 17 million just to end up in CUSA? wow, UConn...wow.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

If their basketball gets back in shape it could all be worth it for them now.  Look at what their basketball team would be dealing with in the new AAC 

10 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Between that and the Big East for everything else, I doubt they have any regrets.

17 hours ago, jlunm07 said:

Looks like C-USA is in talks with Liberty, NM St, and UCONN (football only)

https://theathletic.com/news/conference-usa-in-negotiations-with-new-mexico-state-liberty-uconn-source/aLlHui68hjCp/

This is “CSU/AFA going to the AAC” to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Athletic’s “source” is Judy MacLeod.