Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlunm07

C-USA Trying to Stay Alive

19 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

UT-Arlington and Arkansas-Little Rock are two more full members that don't sponsor football but make the basketball situation a little more manageable (and meet the 8 full member requirement). The MAC added UMass for about 5 years with the intention all along of it being a temporary arrangement (I believe). They might be a quick fix for a few years to buy some time to get a few more schools ready. Not sure they'd be amenable to that again but it would be an improvement over their Indy situation, even if it was only temporary.

Liberty could become an absolute beast in C-USA. Their budget would far exceed the other schools.

Liberty also has had a decent basketball program last few years, them and Florida Gulf Coast have been the top teams there for a bit

28 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

That actually just popped into my mind now about Arkanas Little Rock and Arlington if true want to leave Sun Belt so that could cover that but they would need one more football school and if that is the plan maybe talk to UConn and UMass about being a football only addition

The scuttlebutt is that the Sun Belt plans to get rid of them with all their new additions and Conference USA would be the logical landing spot.

Western Kentucky is more of a basketball school so that will play into their decision as well. Both conferences appear to be one-bid leagues. Little Rock has had some good years. Liberty has been good as you mentioned but Buffalo has had a couple good b-ball teams as well recently.

12 minutes ago, Spot50B said:
47 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

That actually just popped into my mind now about Arkanas Little Rock and Arlington if true want to leave Sun Belt so that could cover that but they would need one more football school and if that is the plan maybe talk to UConn and UMass about being a football only addition

I think the Sun Belt will still have them.  They can’t just pawn off to any conference.  CUSA doesn’t need them .

18 hours ago, NewGuy12 said:

Got to say I wasn't expecting the CUSA to get raided like this.image.png.e932e41357b62f3d161c08fed343c2c8.png

So much for the NewMags to the MW.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

10 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't think so for MTSU, however CUSA would still have to add another school to get to 8 members, since they only have three right now. Jacksonville St stadium is 24,000 which passes that but Sam Houston St does need to expand their stadium, I think both of them need to add one more sport, and a lot of Liberty's non conference schedule was with C-USA schools so they wouldn't have to fiddle with it much but I don't think MTSU would be better off with those additions because the conference is going to struggle but they still need another full time member yet

Why would the NewMags join that Conference ? There are a lot of pricey roadies for Oly Sports.

I'm guessing some of these schools (FIU and NMSU) feel they are better off in a far flung FBS Conference than Indy or FCS ? Or desperate for FBS land ?

:shrug:

Americans Mayor

29 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Why would the NewMags join that Conference ? There are a lot of pricey roadies for Oly Sports.

I'm guessing some of these schools (FIU and NMSU) feel they are better off in a far flung FBS Conference than Indy or FCS ? Or desperate for FBS land ?

CFB playoff money would be my guess.  It is an absolutely horrible conference though. 

45 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Being in an all-sports conference has been the goal for NMSU for awhile, and while that new C-USA would be far flung, at least it would be mostly contiguous states. It would also be an upgrade in basketball.

FIU
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
UTEP

They're still one member short of the requirements, but the potential is there. Sam Houston State won the FCS title last year and would likely be competitive right away, and Liberty and La Tech both have strong programs. It wouldn't be a bad league, and being in a conference with UTEP is ideal for NMSU. 

I wouldn't even be surprised if MTSU and WKU start thinking of returning again in a few years, as it could easily pass the MAC competitively in football and basketball.

Do we have official dates on moves?  BYU is set for 2023. OU/TX no later than 2025. AAC to big 12 no later than 2024. Not sure on others. But as far as I know BYU is the only one with a definite date. 

AAC additions?
Sun belt additions?

Pending 

conf USA additions 

WAC additions?

independents?

The Masters 5k road race All American.

It was mentioned on the realignment board, but I could easily see Liberty becoming the Boise of this conference. The Sun Belt passed them up due to academic snobbery, when they're clearly a better add then JMU or ODU. 

It wouldn't be difficult for a school like Liberty or La Tech to run the table in this conference and beat up a couple ACC schools on their way to a playoff/NY6 spot. 

13 minutes ago, bigd said:

It was mentioned on the realignment board, but I could easily see Liberty becoming the Boise of this conference. The Sun Belt passed them up due to academic snobbery, when they're clearly a better add then JMU or ODU. 

It wouldn't be difficult for a school like Liberty or La Tech to run the table in this conference and beat up a couple ACC schools on their way to a playoff/NY6 spot. 

Schools in Florida and Texas,  states that are crazy about college football,  are always a good gamble.  We know that Liberty is seriously committed to basketball and football and has deep pockets, similar to a GCU model.  And NMSU gets to keep its rivalry with UTEP, only now it frees up 2 OOC basketball games and an OOC football game.  With 8 schools,  NMSU should be able to schedule multiple MWC football games, including UNM, every year.  I like it.  The best news is an FBS home,  but i see just as good a basketball conference as the WAC was as well.  Liberty joining in the move helped a lot.  

26 minutes ago, bigd said:

Being in an all-sports conference has been the goal for NMSU for awhile, and while that new C-USA would be far flung, at least it would be mostly contiguous states. It would also be an upgrade in basketball.

FIU
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
Sam Houston State
UTEP

They're still one member short of the requirements, but the potential is there. Sam Houston State won the FCS title last year and would likely be competitive right away, and Liberty and La Tech both have strong programs. It wouldn't be a bad league, and being in a conference with UTEP is ideal for NMSU. 

I wouldn't even be surprised if MTSU and WKU start thinking of returning again in a few years, as it could easily pass the MAC competitively in football and basketball.

If they could get UCONN and UMASS for football only along with a scheduling agreement with basketball. Conf USA will have solidified it self for a bit. 

The opinions and suggestions on this thread are all over the place.  I get that these boards are for speculation, but wow.  Here is what I think I know: 

CUSA will remain as a conference.

NMSU is not joining a far flung conference. We already travel to Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and other places today.  Having to go to Miami isn't much different than what we are currently doing.  The rest of the CUSA teams are not anything different that what our travel is like in the WAC.

The Dakotas and Montana's are not going FBS.  

The WAC is already in talks to add McNeese State and Incarnate Word.  The WAC currently has 13 members and can stand to lose a few but are hedging against that by looking to expand.

No conference can kick out full members.  That has never happened in the history of college sports.  Temp members have been asked to leave (NMSU, Idaho, Temple, Chicago State, etc.) but full members have never been "kicked out".  So Arkansas Little Rock and Arlington will not be kicked out of the SB.  Seattle will not be kicked out of the WAC.

Liberty was not being held out of conferences because of academic snobbery.  It is their religious beliefs.  But as was noted, they are very strong in basketball and football.  Will be at the top of CUSA in both sports.

The WAC had a chance to be a really good basketball league with the new additions.  But CUSA will probably be better.  LaTech and Liberty were both top 100 KenPom programs the past 2 years.  NMSU was the highest ranked WAC KenPom team (109).

There is an article attached to the Brett McMurphy post.  In the article, it states that UCONN and UMASS are still in play as FB only members for CUSA.  Check out this video put out by UMASS on 10/31/21.  Their AD actually shows a brochure specifically put together for CUSA membership.  

What about Idaho. They have spent 80% of there existence as a major college football team. Granted before 1955 there was only one division, but they played in the PAC or what become the PAC for decades. Nearly the 1st couple of decades in the big sky they were the only team to play in the top division of football. 

6 minutes ago, PojoPops said:

The opinions and suggestions on this thread are all over the place.  I get that these boards are for speculation, but wow.  Here is what I think I know: 

CUSA will remain as a conference.

NMSU is not joining a far flung conference. We already travel to Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and other places today.  Having to go to Miami isn't much different than what we are currently doing.  The rest of the CUSA teams are not anything different that what our travel is like in the WAC.

The Dakotas and Montana's are not going FBS.  

The WAC is already in talks to add McNeese State and Incarnate Word.  The WAC currently has 13 members and can stand to lose a few but are hedging against that by looking to expand.

No conference can kick out full members.  That has never happened in the history of college sports.  Temp members have been asked to leave (NMSU, Idaho, Temple, Chicago State, etc.) but full members have never been "kicked out".  So Arkansas Little Rock and Arlington will not be kicked out of the SB.  Seattle will not be kicked out of the WAC.

Liberty was not being held of conferences because of academic snobbery.  It is their religious beliefs.  But as was noted, they are very strong in basketball and football.  Will be at the top of CUSA in both sports.

The WAC had a chance to be a really good basketball league with the new additions.  But CUSA will probably be better.  LaTech and Liberty were both top 100 KenPom programs the past 2 years.  NMSU was the highest ranked WAC KenPom team (109).

There is an article attached to the Brett McMurphy post.  In the article, it states that UCONN and UMASS are still in play as FB only members for CUSA.  Check out this video put out by UMASS on 10/31/21.  Their AD actually shows a brochure specifically put together for CUSA membership.  

Teams have been kicked out. Michigan was kick out the Big 10 but was able to weasel its way back in with backing from Chicago U.  I believe Temple was a full member. 

44 minutes ago, bigd said:

. It wouldn't be a bad league, and being in a conference with UTEP is ideal for NMSU. 

Why ?

They already play OOC in just about every sport under the sun. Being in a Conference together means there are extra OOC slots to fill.

Americans Mayor