Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jlunm07

C-USA Trying to Stay Alive

4 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Before Gonzaga? I thought the consensus was they will probably join since BYU is no longer in the conference?

Should've been more clear Sorry lol. I would expect both GCU and Gonzaga to join. Even speaking of Gonzaga I heard that AD was looking at the options Gonzaga has when it comes to conference realignment. And plus CT already said the conference would expand for Olympic sports. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzaga announced at the end of the school year

1 hour ago, utgrizfan said:

If this does actually happen this is great news for the WAC. I definitely see them inviting both Louisiana Tech and UTEP for Oly Sports since Chicago State and Seattle are or probably will be getting the boot. Give it a couple years and you will have a good chunk of schools already prepared to play at the FBS level:

UTEP, SHSU, NMSU, Tarleton State, LT

The other schools in the WAC I don't think have the potential or desire to move up to FBS such as Southern Utah which would then open the doors for any Big Sky and MVC schools that want to make the move to FBS. This is very much a longshot but I'd love to see:

WAC NORTH

Montana, Montana State, NDSU, SDSU, Missouri State

WAC SOUTH

NMSU, UTEP, LT, SHSU, Tarleton State

At that point you could also look at a few other teams in the area potentially add for either North and South. I know for example Idaho alums and fans want to come back to FBS however unlikely/bad idea that is.

Chicago St is already leaving the WAC at the end of teh current academic year and have not announced any plans on what they are planning to do, some people think they are going to end up dropping sports overall.

Seattle isn't going anywhere and neither is Grand Canyon.  Montana and Montana St aren't moving. I don't see them inviting Louisiana Tech but like I said before I would be on the with UTEP to gauge their reaction.

46 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Could see GCU staying on as a basketball school along with Cal Baptist. Seattle is in a weird position and there is alot of talk about them being ousted out eventually since they're an outlier, just like Chicago State.

It's an interesting situation already being discussed on the WAC forum as it seems several of the teams added want to stay FCS and others want to move up. I could see a conference Shuffle of sorts to let the teams who want to stay FCS move to another conference and invite those that want to move up

I think where we have to separate here is football and other sports. WAC Football has a plan to move up to FBS in about 5 years I think it is which the schools joining for football and such have agreed to so they know what they are expected. Then you have the Oly Sports which are already in Division I and really doesn't affect many of those schools already in. Seattle isn't going to be kicked out, Chicago St is leaving and talks of them ending sports overall for their program. Southern Utah is coming in with all their sports so that will replace Chicago St and they do have the other schools I think 13 team conference for basketball this year. If WCC offered Seattle an invited they would take it because that is where they want to end up at some point but until then I think they are fine in the WAC. At this point no harm I don't think in talking to UTEP about where they see themselves going 

1 hour ago, Spot50B said:

Jeff Hurd is about to retire. He might do that but it would work as well as Aresco courting the remaining Big XII teams. The same rule applies. The bigger fish is the conference with more money and access, regardless of whether the teams remaining in that league are actually better. C-USA offers access to the CFP playoff money, more TV money (believe it or not) and has waaaaayyy more money at its disposal than the WAC. 

I'd think long and hard about going to the MAC if I were MTSU. They'll get stability, but there isn't much upside if you're hoping for that conference to improve or become more dynamic. There are no rivalries and I doubt there will be much interest from fans or recruits.

Aresco is an idiot who thinks his conference and their power is bigger than it was. With WAC and their commish they are not that way. C-USA TV deal is up after this current year I believe and they are getting less money than Sun Belt for that contract right now, and yes CUSA has money at their disposal to help the schools for a bit but then the schools will have to fend for themselves where many of them have half the athletic budget than SJSU who might be one of the lowest athletic budgets. 

Many of these FCS schools need to upgrade their stadiums, they need to possibly add sports, they need to increase the athletic budgets, some have even more work to do, CUSA could help at the beginning but that stuff still takes money and if they don't think they can get that money consistantly its not worth moving up. 

MTSU and Western Kentucky pretty much is how that is now in CUSA. They will get more money in MAC and you know if MAC expands ESPN will give them more money for expanding, they had no rivalries in CUSA and moving to MAC is a move up compared to where CUSA is now and could be decades before CUSA even gets to where they are now. For both schools there are more PROS than CONS moving to MAC

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

Which is tough.  Those universities right to do so, but if they are pulling up D2 schools like Tarelton State or whatever their name is, then there needs to be restrictions in place.  

NCAA in their bylaws do have restrictions in place about that stuff. 

4 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

So can one university hold into the CUSA name and build it back if possible?  

This seems crazy to lose so many members and for the conference to still be in existence.  

No, because a school doesn't own the name, the conference owns the name unless I guess someone would buy it or such or if by some chance they close up shop as a conference it just floats out there like Southwest Conference

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Aresco is an idiot who thinks his conference and their power is bigger than it was. With WAC and their commish they are not that way. C-USA TV deal is up after this current year I believe and they are getting less money than Sun Belt for that contract right now, and yes CUSA has money at their disposal to help the schools for a bit but then the schools will have to fend for themselves where many of them have half the athletic budget than SJSU who might be one of the lowest athletic budgets. 

Many of these FCS schools need to upgrade their stadiums, they need to possibly add sports, they need to increase the athletic budgets, some have even more work to do, CUSA could help at the beginning but that stuff still takes money and if they don't think they can get that money consistantly its not worth moving up. 

MTSU and Western Kentucky pretty much is how that is now in CUSA. They will get more money in MAC and you know if MAC expands ESPN will give them more money for expanding, they had no rivalries in CUSA and moving to MAC is a move up compared to where CUSA is now and could be decades before CUSA even gets to where they are now. For both schools there are more PROS than CONS moving to MAC

I was responding.to a comment about the  WAC and why C-USA is better positioned than the WAC. 

Of course the MAC (and every other FBS conference) is in a much better position than C-USA. MTSU and Western Kentucky left the Sun Belt for C-USA. That did not work out well for them. I'm not sure moving to the MAC is a great fit on either side but it will happen if it makes sense financially.

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

No, because a school doesn't own the name, the conference owns the name unless I guess someone would buy it or such or if by some chance they close up shop as a conference it just floats out there like Southwest Conference

I was saying in this case, say everyone leaves but UTEP.  I feel like the conference should dissolve at that point.  Hell it should dissolve right now really.  But these 3 teams can just call up a bunch of schools who shouldn't real be FBS?  Doesn't make a lot of sense.  

7 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

If these four are added, C-USA will be alright. I personally think Middle Tennessee would be better off in this conference compared to the MAC, but I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I don't think so for MTSU, however CUSA would still have to add another school to get to 8 members, since they only have three right now. Jacksonville St stadium is 24,000 which passes that but Sam Houston St does need to expand their stadium, I think both of them need to add one more sport, and a lot of Liberty's non conference schedule was with C-USA schools so they wouldn't have to fiddle with it much but I don't think MTSU would be better off with those additions because the conference is going to struggle but they still need another full time member yet

30 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I don't think so for MTSU, however CUSA would still have to add another school to get to 8 members, since they only have three right now. Jacksonville St stadium is 24,000 which passes that but Sam Houston St does need to expand their stadium, I think both of them need to add one more sport, and a lot of Liberty's non conference schedule was with C-USA schools so they wouldn't have to fiddle with it much but I don't think MTSU would be better off with those additions because the conference is going to struggle but they still need another full time member yet

UT-Arlington and Arkansas-Little Rock are two more full members that don't sponsor football but make the basketball situation a little more manageable (and meet the 8 full member requirement). The MAC added UMass for about 5 years with the intention all along of it being a temporary arrangement (I believe). They might be a quick fix for a few years to buy some time to get a few more schools ready. Not sure they'd be amenable to that again but it would be an improvement over their Indy situation, even if it was only temporary.

Liberty could become an absolute beast in C-USA. Their budget would far exceed the other schools.

15 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

UT-Arlington and Arkansas-Little Rock are two more full members that don't sponsor football but make the basketball situation a little more manageable (and meet the 8 full member requirement). The MAC added UMass for about 5 years with the intention all along of it being a temporary arrangement (I believe). They might be a quick fix for a few years to buy some time to get a few more schools ready. Not sure they'd be amenable to that again but it would be an improvement over their Indy situation, even if it was only temporary.

Liberty could become an absolute beast in C-USA. Their budget would far exceed the other schools.

That actually just popped into my mind now about Arkanas Little Rock and Arlington if true want to leave Sun Belt so that could cover that but they would need one more football school and if that is the plan maybe talk to UConn and UMass about being a football only addition

16 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Glad to see NMSU get into a conference.

Just imagine Jacksonville St or Sam Houston St having a better record than NMSU when they come in very possibly. But they should be at the top just about every year in basketball along with Liberty