Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USU78

Aloha Nui Week

3 hours ago, USU78 said:

Sounds fun actually. Can you imagine the early '20s?

I have a hand drawn map of the village with the family names mainly Japanese and Filipino.  I visited the site of the village in the mountains after my dad died in 2014 and have a pic with the Old Pioneer Mill in the background.  My grandpa was born in 1885 and I’m not yet 40.  Your gramps and mine probably crossed paths.  I am totally fascinated by this stuff and my profession reflects that. I have so much to learn.  

Go Bows!

3 hours ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Looks like Hawaii is mostly healthy again for the first time since @NMSU. Starting QB Cordeiro likely back as well as 1A RB DaeDae.

The issue this season has been offensive playcalling by a very green OC (Bo Graham). We will see if he repeats the style of the last game (run game heavy, play action quick passing routes) which worked well or if he retreats to the go route heavy Offense he has done in a couple games this year.

I’ll be surprised if Cordeiro starts.  I think UH telling the media he’ll “likely” play is just a ploy to force the USU defense to prep for both him and Schrager.  Don’t think we’ll see too much of DaeDae Hunter either.  It should be enough to ease him back into action considering how well Dedrick Parsons played last week.

As for Bo, he’s definitely the weak link.  Half the time it seems like half the offensive players only halfway know the play.  That’s all on the OC.

5 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Similar to your grandpa, my dad in later stage of his life would say Maruyama.  I didn’t know what that meant until I asked someone.  The village in Lahaina he grew up in. 

Hawaii Nei.  Never leaves you.

I've gotta get back soon. As soon as the WuFlu madness is done. My wife's never been. And the two times I did visit I never saw the little churches he built. Gotta put em in my bucket.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

2 hours ago, USU78 said:

I've gotta get back soon. As soon as the WuFlu madness is done. My wife's never been. And the two times I did visit I never saw the little churches he built. Gotta put em in my bucket.

You should visit.  Snorkeling is amazing in West Maui.  I’ll think of your grandpa when I see a little church there.  I moved away from Hawaii Nei after college (my alma mater is the school your playing) so I’m like you, need to get back to Maui.  I mainly visit Oahu where I grew up so it’s an extra step. 

Also I became friends with your former Free Safety the late Brian Suite who died of cancer in 2020 (Punahou alum, found out he had a rare soft tissue cancer right after his dad died).  So if there is ever a Trophy for this series, I’d like it to be in his name.  He loved Hawaii and especially loved Utah State.