Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Disney & ESPN headed for divorce?

Buy and hold DIS.  Unfortunately, the amount of ad space that has ballooned game lengths, and the proliferation of highlights from pretty much anyone on youtube, the crux of ESPN's niche is tainted or spoiled.  The heavy share of collegiate athletics is really about it, unless Disney is paying out the nose for programming it could add to ABC if it felt it was worth it.  Without Bob Iger, I can easily see this happen.  DIS will drop for a few weeks, but soon as the initial reaction alleviates, and the quarterlies come out, casuals will be loving it.

A couple of years ago it was mentioned that Disney was making ESPN do a lot of cost cutting moves to make it more desirable for a potential sale that was coming up, that was when they weren't renewing all those contracts and making other cuts which they are still doing and some have said either spinning ESPN off into its own true company or selling them has been in their long term plans for a while.

While ESPN has been cutting costs, they have also been pouring big bucks into building ESPN+.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I'd love to believe all the doom and gloom for ESPN, but I don't know how you can reconcile these stories with ESPN splurging for the NHL rights and tightening their grip on college sports. They even just signed a new rights deal with the National Lacrosse League, of all things. They aren't acting like a network in crisis.

0mK6pGK.png

1 hour ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

I'd love to believe all the doom and gloom for ESPN, but I don't know how you can reconcile these stories with ESPN splurging for the NHL rights and tightening their grip on college sports. They even just signed a new rights deal with the National Lacrosse League, of all things. They aren't acting like a network in crisis.

maybe I'm wrong but the NHL rights are fairly cheap, aren't they?  And I'm sure the only competition for the NHL was NBC Sports

10 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

maybe I'm wrong but the NHL rights are fairly cheap, aren't they?  And I'm sure the only competition for the NHL was NBC Sports

ESPN is paying $400 million a year.  TNT is paying 225 for the secondary package.  Cheap, I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder.  The Key for ESPN is all the out-of-market games get moved to ESPN+.  That will drive subscriptions.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

"It's as if ESPN is operating under the philosophy that it's too big and too important to fail, but a look around the business world tells us that anything can become obsolete before leadership knows how to save the business."

This has been the case as ESPN for quite some time.   They are as arrogantly devoted to forcing their liberal B.S. on the people who still watch their network - regardless of how low their rating go.  Just like ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN.  Personally the ONLY time I watch E.S.P.N. is whenever a Boise State football game is on one of their networks.

8 minutes ago, RSF said:

ESPN is paying $400 million a year.  TNT is paying 225 for the secondary package.  Cheap, I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder.  The Key for ESPN is all the out-of-market games get moved to ESPN+.  That will drive subscriptions.

comparatively ESPN and TBS (over) pay $2.6 billion a year for the NBA 

29 minutes ago, Bronco7454 said:

"It's as if ESPN is operating under the philosophy that it's too big and too important to fail, but a look around the business world tells us that anything can become obsolete before leadership knows how to save the business."

This has been the case as ESPN for quite some time.   They are as arrogantly devoted to forcing their liberal B.S. on the people who still watch their network - regardless of how low their rating go.  Just like ABC, CBS, NBC and CNN.  Personally the ONLY time I watch E.S.P.N. is whenever a Boise State football game is on one of their networks.

I still love Game Day.  Corso is getting old but it’s still worth getting up early for on a Saturday morning.  Otherwise I’m with you. I’m only there to watch games.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

1 hour ago, Bronco7454 said:

I don’t think I’ve watched ESPN for anything other then a game in over 5 years. Nothing to do with “liberal B.S.” though, just haven’t had a compelling reason to watch. 

Honestly this feels like BS. However you feel about ESPN's non sports commentary. The reality is live sports is one of, if not the, most valuable path way for advertisers. Far more likely they restructure than sell IMO...rights holding is still the name of the game. 

1 hour ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

I still love Game Day.  Corso is getting old but it’s still worth getting up early for on a Saturday morning.  Otherwise I’m with you. I’m only there to watch games.

I used to love Gameday but two things have all but killed it for me.  First, the content is not as interesting anymore as college football is so dominated by a handful of teams.  Hopefully, this year is a sign of changes to come?  Second, I am not a fan of Rece Davis.  In fact I really cannot stand him.  Chris Fowler was a much better host.  The only thing I tune in for now are the predictions just prior to early kickoffs.

3 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I used to love Gameday but two things have all but killed it for me.  First, the content is not as interesting anymore as college football is so dominated by a handful of teams.  Hopefully, this year is a sign of changes to come?  Second, I am not a fan of Rece Davis.  In fact I really cannot stand him.  Chris Fowler was a much better host.  The only thing I tune in for now are the predictions just prior to early kickoffs.

I honestly have a hard time telling Rece Davis and Chris Fowler apart. 

11 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I agree with you on college football being lesser with the domination of a select few, but I still like the show.  Love all the college kids and the signs, guest picker, etc…. It gets me fired up for a day of college football.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

2 hours ago, Bronco7454 said:

ABC, NBC, and CBS news programs are far and away the news ratings leaders. Fox, the top cable news channel, only reaches about half as many viewers as the lowest rated broadcast network news program on CBS. ABC evening news has about three times the average viewership as Fox News. Fox bragging about being the top rated cable news network is like bragging about being the FCS national champions to a bunch of Alabama fans.

Having just watched the video, 2 things come to mind.

One big issue with Disney 'spinning off' ESPN into a separate company.

ESPN is already a separate company.  One in which Disney is not sole owner.  Hearst Communications owns 20%.

Second, it comes off more as an editorial on ESPN programming than breaking news.  It's true - more and more of their programming involves talking heads offering opinions than hours and hours of SportsCenter.  But the fact is SC is an anachronism - people can get scores and highlights instantly from just about anywhere.  They cant broadcast games for 24 hrs a day, so they have to fill the air time with SOMETHING.  So they'll gone the AM talk radio format.  Like it or not, its getting the desired results.  People arent dropping cable (and thus ESPN) because of some political agenda.  They are cutting the cord because other methods of distribution are increasingly viable.  Hence, ESPN+.

So think about where they cut costs.  It aint in rights fees, talking heads and streaming infrastructure.  It was where they overspent - trying to have people everywhere to report on everything.  Except they discovered that was a waste of money.  So a lot of those people got cut.  And SC people got cut because it was less of a focus.  And the behind the scenes people who supported those endeavors got cut tio.

And that is the thing is Disney wants to move more toward streaming and ESPN wants to stay with cable packages because of money. Disney is already working on raising the price of ESPN+ over the next couple of years to where they are talking about $30 a month for ESPN plus

But the long term plan ESPN and Disney could possibly be selling ESPN