Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HR_Poke

Common core math help.

38 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Any other parents have any experience with the split apart method?  My daughter is struggling and I'm trying to find an alternative way to explain it to her.

Been there done that. Let’s just say my explanation was not well received. Incidentally I completed math courses up to differential equations. Maybe that was the problem. That and when I was a kid I had my own way at arriving at the correct answer that differed from the method taught. 

A neighbor kid in fifth grade told me he could multiply any four digit number by any two digit number in his head. So I asked him what the product of 2438 x 28. He proceeded to break it down into multiples of thousands, hundreds, and tens, and gave me the correct answer. Blew me away. 

You are breaking an addition problem into smaller, simpler problems. Its an alternative to 'carry the' concept, which can befuddle some kids.  Different route, same destination.

645 + 238 becomes

600 + 200 = 800

40 + 30 = 70

5 + 8 = 13

800 + 70 + 13 = 883.

Alternately...

600 + 200 + 40 + 30 + 5 + 8 = 883

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, RSF said:

You are breaking an addition problem into smaller, simpler problems. Its an alternative to 'carry the' concept, which can befuddle some kids.  Different route, same destination.

645 + 238 becomes

600 + 200 = 800

40 + 30 = 70

5 + 8 = 13

800 + 70 + 13 = 883.

Alternately...

Well when you break it down like that I suppose it is easier that way.

21 minutes ago, RSF said:

645 + 238 becomes

600 + 200 = 800

40 + 30 = 70

5 + 8 = 13

800 + 70 + 13 = 883.

Alternately...

Thanks. She gets lost with all the arrows and breaking everything into tens.

17 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

I’m to the point I can’t help my 7th grader with math.. I can get him the answer but I can’t show the work they require. 

I'm in the same boat.  Watching a lot of YouTube videos trying to find alternate explanations for the methods. She has a test this week and showing the work is half the points.

13 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

I'm in the same boat.  Watching a lot of YouTube videos trying to find alternate explanations for the methods. She has a test this week and showing the work is half the points.

Always thought the show the work was a bit daffy.  Used to drive those types crazy, because as often as not I'd do some of it in my head and scribble out the rest.  They'd have no idea how I got from point A to point B, but I invariably did.

The split apart isnt exactly new, it's just another way of doing things.  It's all in what works for you.  Some people grasp one way, some another.  Some....not at all.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, RSF said:

Always thought the show the work was a bit daffy.  Used to drive those types crazy, because as often as not I'd do some of it in my head and scribble out the rest.  They'd have no idea how I got from point A to point B, but I invariably did.

The split apart isnt exactly new, it's just another way of doing things.  It's all in what works for you.  Some people grasp one way, some another.  Some....not at all.

She does really good with the partial sums method, I had to bite my tongue to not tell her to use that method even if it says to use the split apart method.  She just gets lost with breaking it apart so much and loses track of where she is.  I like showing them all the different methods so they can pick whatever is easiest for them instead of how I was taught with 1 method.  Trying to figure out how to show her the split apart works if she keeps it organized.  

3 hours ago, RSF said:

I just kinda always did the split apart method for mental math. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:20 PM, RSF said:

645 + 238 becomes

600 + 200 = 800

40 + 30 = 70

5 + 8 = 13

800 + 70 + 13 = 883.

Alternately...

This to me, is more confusing then the 'carry' method.  More line item numbers to follow.  Not to mention your adding much more subtraction to an equation. Then using that for addition..... .what a long way around to getting an answer.

14 hours ago, happycamper said:

I just kinda always did the split apart method for mental math. 

Easy to calculate tips or quick estimates.   I don't use a calculator much anymore for simple math as this works so well for me.  My wife laughed when she showed me.  She disliked math the "old" way so that was how she figured out how to make it easy to do in your head.  That was long before common core became a thing.   I personally think it will help a lot of kids that struggle in math.  Showing kids only one way to do math was kind of dumb as I look back on it.

7 hours ago, Billings said:

Easy to calculate tips or quick estimates.   I don't use a calculator much anymore for simple math as this works so well for me.  My wife laughed when she showed me.  She disliked math the "old" way so that was how she figured out how to make it easy to do in your head.  That was long before common core became a thing.   I personally think it will help a lot of kids that struggle in math.  Showing kids only one way to do math was kind of dumb as I look back on it.

I had a teacher who could round numbers up and down and answer difficult math equations in his head on the fly. I wish I was analytical like that. Math is so important but for many so difficult, and when you fall behind you’re sorta toast. My oldest son for some reason is very good at math but can’t get through physics. I think he’s going to change majors because he’s so in over his head with it.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, RSF said:

645 + 238 becomes

600 + 200 = 800

40 + 30 = 70

5 + 8 = 13

800 + 70 + 13 = 883.

Alternately...

I have a kid in kindergarten, so I’ve been dreading when I’ll have to deal with this.

And I don’t know if it’s just me, but this is pretty much always how I have done addition in my head, even though I didn’t learn it this way. Interesting that it’s now the way it’s taught.