Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Matt Wells fired at Texas Tech

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Word was he wanted out of Eastern Washington for some reason which no one knows. He lobbied hard for the Nevada head coaching job, and I read  he was surprised he didn't get the job. So he applied for every assistant job that he wanted and that was when he got hired at California. He wanted to put in his whole offense but the head coach wanted a mix so they were constantly butting heads and rumor was that during game day the Cal coach would over rule many of his play calls and called something else. So when Cal Poly job opened he applied and ended up there where he is pretty much rebuilding the program. 

But something happened at Eastern Washington when he went hard for another head coaching job, he was never going back

If I remember it was actually a really hard decision for him to leave Eastern Washington. In the exit interview he almost broke down but he really wanted to be in charge of a larger school. Sometimes you just want a change of scenery, he stayed there for 9 years.

7 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

If I remember it was actually a really hard decision for him to leave Eastern Washington. In the exit interview he almost broke down but he really wanted to be in charge of a larger school. Sometimes you just want a change of scenery, he stayed there for 9 years.

Yea i can see that but also sounds like he burned some bridges up there as well.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Yea i can see that but also sounds like he burned some bridges up there as well.

When you're most winningest coach at Eastern Washington history at the time (believe he may still be) make sense that they wouldn't want to lose you and be mad if you left. I haven't heard anything about burned Bridges though

13 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

There is something wrong with Baldwin. I can’t put my finger on it but he managed to work himself down the food chain to Poly. Also, I’d take Wilcox at Cal too. I think that job is sneaky difficult. He could win at Nevada. 

Poly was running an option offense and now Baldwin is having to change the personnel there.  He’s a good coach. Wilcox just wanted a run first offense at Cal and he and Baldwin clashed on that. Those two were a bad fit. 

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

14 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Honestly just makes Wells chances getting a job somewhere else even better. He has Tech sitting at 5-3 and frankly didn't get enough time I feel.

It is crazy to think if they had won on Saturday instead of losing by a point, they would be 6-2 and bowl eligible already with 4 shots left at knocking off ranked teams to finish out the year. I think the AD knew his window to fire Wells was right now because if he managed to pull any of the next 4 off it would have looked that much worse. TTU boosters really hated the Wells hire from the start. It seems no one can live up to the hype brought on by Leach like a decade ago. If you read their boards, their fans don't even sound like they care if they win - they just want to see a high powered offense that puts up video game type numbers.

18 hours ago, SLCPoke said:

Fired at a P5 for not doing well. I think you’re mixed up. 

"Objection, your honor, irrelevant."

"Objection sustained."

Granted, a few Wyoming head coaches have gone on to become the head coach of a power conference team. However, how many head coaches hired by Wyoming were ever previously the head coach of a P5 school? To my knowledge, the answer to that question is none.

Particularly if I'm correct about that, what possible reason do you have to think Wells would actually take the Wyoming job even if it was available, which it isn't?

13 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

When he left Reno he thought he had the job but Ault brought in Norvell at the last minute.  When word got out that he wanted to leave E. Wa. their fans weren't going to accept that so as popular as he was he had to leave.  Not to mention his recruiting problems when word got out.  He bombed at Ca. so there's a cloud on his resume.  He may get Cal Poly rolling but you can't hire a coach based on what he might do in the future.  Our budget is going to really limit our choices.   

1 hour ago, TrueAg said:

It is crazy to think if they had won on Saturday instead of losing by a point, they would be 6-2 and bowl eligible already with 4 shots left at knocking off ranked teams to finish out the year. I think the AD knew his window to fire Wells was right now because if he managed to pull any of the next 4 off it would have looked that much worse. TTU boosters really hated the Wells hire from the start. It seems no one can live up to the hype brought on by Leach like a decade ago. If you read their boards, their fans don't even sound like they care if they win - they just want to see a high powered offense that puts up video game type numbers.

To me he was done after that Texas loss and was a dead man walking.  I think this is also a cause of expansion because Texas Tech wants to be the big dog when Texas and Oklahoma leave and maybe they see this their chance to start those plans.

2 minutes ago, wolfan said:

When he left Reno he thought he had the job but Ault brought in Norvell at the last minute.  When word got out that he wanted to leave E. Wa. their fans weren't going to accept that so as popular as he was he had to leave.  He bombed at Ca. so there's a cloud on his resume.  He may get Cal Poly rolling but you can't hire a coach based on what he might do in the future.  Our budget is going to really limit our choices.   

But that is why you hire certain coaches though is on what you want them to do in the future. 

15 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

There is something wrong with Baldwin. I can’t put my finger on it but he managed to work himself down the food chain to Poly. Also, I’d take Wilcox at Cal too. I think that job is sneaky difficult. He could win at Nevada. 

Agreed. Wilcox is a very good coach but Cal is a very bad job. (Because "Charlie Progressives don't surf football!") What Jeff Tedford accomplished at Cal was damn near a miracle.

This makes no sense, to me.  They're 5-3 right now, he's already shown an upward trajectory, and bluntly - you are texas tech.  You are not getting better than 9 wins unless every single thing goes right once every 20 years. 

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

To me he was done after that Texas loss and was a dead man walking.  I think this is also a cause of expansion because Texas Tech wants to be the big dog when Texas and Oklahoma leave and maybe they see this their chance to start those plans.

You could be on to something there. Specifically that TT wants to be offered admission to the Pac when it likely expands in a few years and since the Pac's football fortunes have diminished considerably over the last decade, this is the perfect time for TT to go balls to the wall to improve Red Raiders football to make TT desirable to the Pac despite it being located in Lubbock.

20 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Troy Taylor. Sac State. That’d be my pick for Nevada if Norvell is poached. Matt Wells would certainly be on the list too, although if he’s LDS I don’t see that as a good fit. There is copious amounts of drinking at alum functions. I hope Norvell doesn’t go but he’s gone if offered. It’s a no brainer decision. 

I just looked this guy up.  He's having some nice success so far and must have tons of relationships on the west coast given his background.  Definitely one Knuth will want to interview.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

This makes no sense, to me.  They're 5-3 right now, he's already shown an upward trajectory, and bluntly - you are texas tech.  You are not getting better than 9 wins unless every single thing goes right once every 20 years. 

Upward trajectories dont usually include 2 blowouts to rivals and a near loss to an FCS school.  And Tech may not win another game - OU, Okie State, Baylor and Iowa State.  But his fate was sealed when UT dropped 70 on them.  They gave Coach Bro (Kingsbury) 6 years, and he's a legend there.  Wells was never going to get as long a rope.  BTW - Leach averaged almost 9 a year.  He'd probably still be there if not for Craig James and his kid.  Tech fans are still not happy about that.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Joel Klatt said on national radio today  Wells was fired now because if they somehow beat Oklahoma Saturday it would be harder for them to fire him later.

Thats what he said.....

No substance to the claim, but, from the outside looking in, yeah.

I think he was unfairly stiffed.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

6 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

No substance to the claim, but, from the outside looking in, yeah.

I think he was unfairly stiffed.

Like I said before I think his tenure was over after that Texas game and by waiting a little longer they probably needed to get everyone on the same page to make sure they had the money committed before doing it.