Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Matt Wells fired at Texas Tech

He did an good job at USU, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone really on the hot seat (outside of maybe Bohl) as there are several first year coaches who probablywon't be fired. Coaches most likely to get poached are Norvell, Hoke and DeBoer. Brennan is another possibility to get snagged but this season may have affected that.

25 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

He did an good job at USU, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone really on the hot seat (outside of maybe Bohl) as there are several first year coaches who probablywon't be fired. Coaches most likely to get poached are Norvell, Hoke and DeBoer. Brennan is another possibility to get snagged but this season may have affected that.

How hot is Boh's seat?  From an outsider WYO generally seems pretty loyal to coaches.  He has had some good years at WYO, but getting an effective offense has been his kryptonite.

2 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Hoke isn't going anywhere

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, JADogs05 said:

Nevada should take a hard look if WSU hires Norvell. 

Troy Taylor. Sac State. That’d be my pick for Nevada if Norvell is poached. Matt Wells would certainly be on the list too, although if he’s LDS I don’t see that as a good fit. There is copious amounts of drinking at alum functions. I hope Norvell doesn’t go but he’s gone if offered. It’s a no brainer decision. 

32 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Hoke isn't going anywhere

I agree. I think bringing back an old guy who has tried and failed once is a great approach to this problem. Hoke has made his ched and is paid well at SDSU. He’d be a fool to leave. 

6 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Troy Taylor. Sac State. That’d be my pick for Nevada if Norvell is poached. Matt Wells would certainly be on the list too, although if he’s LDS I don’t see that as a good fit. There is copious amounts of drinking at alum functions. I hope Norvell doesn’t go but he’s gone if offered. It’s a no brainer decision. 

He would be a great pick for Nevada. He was only at Utah for two years but he actually knew how to run an offense and has the Hornets in position to potentially be the Big Sky Champions this year.

2 hours ago, Aggie84025 said:

How hot is Boh's seat?  From an outsider WYO generally seems pretty loyal to coaches.  He has had some good years at WYO, but getting an effective offense has been his kryptonite.

It’s not. We can’t afford his buyout and our AD is useless.  

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

I read that TT doesn’t want to pay Wells’ bowl bonus, (he’s at 5 Wins right now) and also didn’t want him to do well over the next 4 games because they want him gone.. but those games are against the top 4 teams in the conference, who knows if any of that is true. 

36 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Wells is not LDS.

10 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Wells is not LDS.

Then if we lose Norvell I suspect he might be a candidate, assuming he wants to deal with stupid message board fans like myself in the future. Or maybe he will just vacation… which is what I’d probably do if I had that much money. 

Texas tech is a coaching graveyard.  Like Nebraska they get a solid winning coach but it is not enough as they want national championships.  Although with Texas and Oklahoma leaving maybe they might sneak in a Big 12 title game once a decade or so.

33 minutes ago, Billings said:

Texas tech is a coaching graveyard.  Like Nebraska they get a solid winning coach but it is not enough as they want national championships.  Although with Texas and Oklahoma leaving maybe they might sneak in a Big 12 title game once a decade or so.

Lubbock Texas, enough said.