Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

Coaching Carousel

1 minute ago, Aggie84025 said:

If it is true, that sucks for Fresno.  Deboer seems like a really good coach.  I am sure CSU would be just fine if Fresno decided to hire  Adazzio away.

There’s legit talk we might get (a healthy) Tedford back at HC. Truth be told, many of us would be happy with this switch. I think Jeff is a better coach. But we have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Surprised UW is making a push for an essentially one and done G5 HC who couldn’t get his team to a title game. Smacks of desperation on UWs part. C’est la vie. 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I think that was a factor, but also living in Los Angeles at $12 million per isn't too shabby.

There's some talk about the SEC going to pods (those of us in the old WAC remember how awful that was). Here is one proposal:

Pod A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Pod B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod C: LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Pod D: Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma

Here’s the proposed 9-game conference schedule format:

• Play the three teams in your pod every season
  • Play two games against each of the other pods
  • Host every team at least once every four seasons

In some ways you could say that an SEC schedule in a conference where you probably get 2 mulligans is an easier path than the BigXII with a single mulligan?

I see that cultural freak show in College Station is still taking their jazz jars running away from their big brother. 

2 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I think that was a factor, but also living in Los Angeles at $12 million per isn't too shabby.

There's some talk about the SEC going to pods (those of us in the old WAC remember how awful that was). Here is one proposal:

Pod A: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina

Pod B: Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Pod C: LSU, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Pod D: Arkansas, Missouri, Texas, Oklahoma

Here’s the proposed 9-game conference schedule format:

• Play the three teams in your pod every season
  • Play two games against each of the other pods
  • Host every team at least once every four seasons

In some ways you could say that an SEC schedule in a conference where you probably get 2 mulligans is an easier path than the BigXII with a single mulligan?

12 million isn’t a lot in LA, probably has less with the take home pay (taxes and agent fees etc). Not to mention he’s got to pay Oklahoma his buyout, unless usc is paying that. 

Either way, that’s a risky move for Riley. Says he wants a challenge but everyone knows he’s getting out of dodge because the path to CFP gets tougher once OU goes to the SEC. 

14 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

12 million isn’t a lot in LA, probably has less with the take home pay (taxes and agent fees etc). Not to mention he’s got to pay Oklahoma his buyout, unless usc is paying that. 

Either way, that’s a risky move for Riley. Says he wants a challenge but everyone knows he’s getting out of dodge because the path to CFP gets tougher once OU goes to the SEC. 

So far seems to be paying dividends. 3 5 star recruits have apparently decommitted from various teams who are from So Cal 

18 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I'm pretty sure its the most lucrative college coaching contract (per year) in history. Is it not?

I don't think he'll need to settle for living in a duplex out in Vacaville

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

What’s Riley contract look like at USC? 8-9 million a year?

They haven't released the terms and since they are a private school they don't have to release any details on the contract. However what is lost is that Riley does owe a $4.8 million buyout on his contract with Oklahoma and USC still owes Helton $10 million on his contract.

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

I'm pretty sure its the most lucrative college coaching contract (per year) in history. Is it not?

I don't think he'll need to settle for living in a duplex out in Vacaville

On paper, yes it’s the most. The rumor is 10 years and 150 million. 

Factoring in taxes and agent fees. He might see half of that money. Factor in the cost of living etc, it’s not bad but it’s crazy that half his earnings, maybe more go right to the government. 

Bottom line is, this move wasn’t about money, SC has backed up the Brinks truck, yes but Riley going to SC has more to do with opportunities to play for the ship. 

4 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

They haven't released the terms and since they are a private school they don't have to release any details on the contract. However what is lost is that Riley does owe a $4.8 million buyout on his contract with Oklahoma and USC still owes Helton $10 million on his contract.

I saw a rumor, unverified, that it is 10 years 150 million. If it’s anywhere near that then Riley doesn’t need to worry about the buyout. 

43 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Just staaahp! 

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I saw a rumor, unverified, that it is 10 years 150 million. If it’s anywhere near that then Riley doesn’t need to worry about the buyout. 

No was just saying USC owes $10 million on Helton, will pay $4.8 million buyout on RIley and then his contract. Some people must have robbed a bank

2 hours ago, B_Lootz said:

Before yesterday, I think many of the UW fan base would’ve been fine with Deboer. Now, if they don’t make a splashy hire like SC there’s going to be a lot of disgruntled fans.

I think that is a terrible way to view it.  An AD should not worry about how it looks, they should find the right coach for their culture and someone who has a good vision for their team.  Washington will never compete with USC on the flashy side.

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

On paper, yes it’s the most. The rumor is 10 years and 150 million. 

Factoring in taxes and agent fees. He might see half of that money. Factor in the cost of living etc, it’s not bad but it’s crazy that half his earnings, maybe more go right to the government. 

Bottom line is, this move wasn’t about money, SC has backed up the Brinks truck, yes but Riley going to SC has more to do with opportunities to play for the ship. 

He might get a lot of other perks being in LA though and have a lot of endorsement opportunities to make even more.