Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

Coaching Carousel

8 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Is Baton Rouge any better ?

Yes.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The official LSU release pegs Kelly's contract at 10/95.

FFcpw1kWYA4hXy8?format=jpg&name=large

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

In just four years a NFL contract that the Raiders were LAUGHED AT for handing out is now the MARKET RATE for colleges, at least at the top level. That is pretty wild. 

The NFL is collectively probably pretty annoyed, because going rate for HCs just went WAY up. We’ll have an idea what the new normal is when Kingsbury inevitably leverages the OU opening in to a big money extension/raise.

dont get the kelly move at all...lol dude gets bullied around by the SEC every year...lol maybe he's a masokist...lol

curious to see if urban gets chest pains and bolts jax for south bend...lol

freeman would be good there, so would campbell.

what a wild spin the carosel has been this year...lol

11 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Maybe because we're in the MW, but I usually find that when I cannot watch a MW game, I am watching a G5 or FCS game. 

For me it has nothing to do with being in the MW or the WAC before that.

I used to watch games from G5, FCS, and the P5. It didn't matter, I just wanted to watch college games. I have good memories of sitting watching games like Texas/Oklahoma or Oklahoma/Nebraska with my father. Now I haven't watched a regular season P5 vs P5 game in years.

For the last decade or more the P5 games feel less like college kids and more like a professional-lite atmosphere. If I want that atmosphere I would just go back to watching the NFL.

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Brian Kelly is going to become the highest paid coach in NCAA when he signs his contract. Thing is ND said their OC would take over when Kelly left, but at his age I don't think they will be giving him the reigns yet. 

But this is one of the major things wrong with college sports what we have been seeing in the last few days.

Kelly is a good coach, but paying him more than Saban or Dabo is absurd.

0mK6pGK.png

3 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

hard to argue

This is the death knell of any semblance of competitive equity in the sport, IMO. Not just for G5s -- that gap is certainly widening beyond belief but has always been there.  But now, a group of maybe 10-15 schools can lock all of their competitors (the Iowa States, Arizona States, and yes, even the Utahs and TCUs of the world) out of any chance at consistently competing at the highest level of the sport. There will be aberrations and changes as to which schools are members of that group of 10-15, but realignment, TV contracts, and coaching resource wars have left me feeling a but pessimistic about the future of the game. 

OTOH, Riley and Kelly could both win 6 games and completely **** their respective employers, which might cause programs to pump the brakes. 

4 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

In just four years a NFL contract that the Raiders were LAUGHED AT for handing out is now the MARKET RATE for colleges, at least at the top level. That is pretty wild. 

The NFL is collectively probably pretty annoyed, because going rate for HCs just went WAY up. We’ll have an idea what the new normal is when Kingsbury inevitably leverages the OU opening in to a big money extension/raise.

I don't think so, NFL and college are two different things. We aren't going to see those coaching contracts in the NFL and he can try to do that, but if was Arizona i would laugh like hell at him because I don't think there is a shot in hell for Kingsbury to Oklahoma.