Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

So Alex Baldwin just shot and killed someone on a movie set.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

or because that guy brutally mocked his father for four years on the one of the most popular TV programs in America.

but i thought that show is a failure?  Thats what somebody keeps telling us...

but now you have me wondering if Chelsea Clinton ever made T shirts about Phil Hartman getting killed...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

Sounds like they got complacent.

If that AD really was fired in '19 over a negligent discharge, and he's the guy checking weapons, it looks like the mistakes began in the hiring process. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That is considerate and fair. 

If what is said below is common practice, it doesn't look good for Baldwin, especially as a producer. 

Apparently, they clear the weapon in front of the actor, including shining a light down the barrel. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rust-cameraman-baldwin-gun-safety_n_6176eed6e4b066de4f6606c0

2 hours ago, HR_Poke said:

Sounds like they got complacent.

I agree, a bad day got worse.  But while I am saying that everyone needs to have responsibility here, I don't insist jail time or anything like that.  Civil?  Absolutely on the table, and reports indicate true remorse and already communicating with the family.  But I don't accept a weapon just because someone says we are good, and I am typically not pointing it at anything but paper, let alone people.  It is reasonable to suggest that working with a deadly weapon should have responsibility on everyone who touches it.  Is it on safe, action open, visually inspect the chamber, all things anyone can do.  I will leave the heavy burden of responsibility on any fouling or debris inside the actual barrel, and what rounds are in the magazine to the armorer or ammo tech.  But this seems like it could have not happened.  And I really do hope Hollywood learns from this.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I agree, a bad day got worse.  But while I am saying that everyone needs to have responsibility here, I don't insist jail time or anything like that.  Civil?  Absolutely on the table, and reports indicate true remorse and already communicating with the family.  But I don't accept a weapon just because someone says we are good, and I am typically not pointing it at anything but paper, let alone people.  It is reasonable to suggest that working with a deadly weapon should have responsibility on everyone who touches it.  Is it on safe, action open, visually inspect the chamber, all things anyone can do.  I will leave the heavy burden of responsibility on any fouling or debris inside the actual barrel, and what rounds are in the magazine to the armorer or ammo tech.  But this seems like it could have not happened.  And I really do hope Hollywood learns from this.

If TMZ is to be believed, the gun AB fired had recently been used for target practice. 

The article also pointed out they didn't store live & blank ammo separately.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/23/alec-baldwin-rust-gun-accident-used-off-set-target-practice/

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

If TMZ is to be believed, the gun AB fired had recently been used for target practice. 

The article also pointed out they didn't store live & blank ammo separately.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/23/alec-baldwin-rust-gun-accident-used-off-set-target-practice/

Oh shit.  But so if we are talking live, like actual live ammo, the question is what the hell is live ammo being stored on the set, especially with the other rounds??!?!  

Just so we are clear, part of my role overseas, as an actual gunner, was to supply ammo for my squad (different styles of rounds for each weapon, so knowing what to give folks and the order for them is key).  We kept zero dummy, blank or splat rounds in the ammo bunker, that was completely separate in another room away from the bunker.  For a gotdam reason.  And we eat crayons!  I hope that is not true, or that is incompetence at a very high level.

2 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Oh shit.  But so if we are talking live, like actual live ammo, the question is what the hell is live ammo being stored on the set, especially with the other rounds??!?!  

Just so we are clear, part of my role overseas, as an actual gunner, was to supply ammo for my squad (different styles of rounds for each weapon, so knowing what to give folks and the order for them is key).  We kept zero dummy, blank or splat rounds in the ammo bunker, that was completely separate in another room away from the bunker.  For a gotdam reason.  And we eat crayons!  I hope that is not true, or that is incompetence at a very high level.

I wondered about that too.  Maybe target shooting with what we're calling "prop guns" is common? 

Barack Obama

I am traveling, and I've not kept up on this thread, but I'm thinking there needs to be some criminal prosecution of somebody. If this happened to an ordinary person, they would be facing criminal prosecution. Also, some NRA training for the entire staff including Alec would have been appropriate.

110926run_defense710.jpg

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I'm in the same boat. I just find it hard to comprehend not checking the gun myself. But that is drilled into you with any sort of training 

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

I am traveling, and I've not kept up on this thread, but I'm thinking there needs to be some criminal prosecution of somebody. If this happened to an ordinary person, they would be facing criminal prosecution. Also, some NRA training for the entire staff including Alec would have been appropriate.

accidental shootings are not an uncommon occurrence, rarely is anyone prosecuted :shrug:

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

accidental shootings are not an uncommon occurrence, rarely is anyone prosecuted :shrug:

Nor should they be. 

With this one it appears the protocols, including the redundant measures,were simply ignored.

I am not among those who believe Baldwin should serve time.  

IMO, there is simply no excuse to point and fire a weapon you haven't cleared. 

He may not be a criminal, but he is responsible. 

Barack Obama

On 10/25/2021 at 7:41 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Same person who warmongered Australia.  Simple clickbait and "look at me" for attention-seeking social media warriors.  But some people will take her post as something more than a ploy to remain relevant.

Baldwin's taken to social media to score relevancy points standing on the backs of people who were shot.

Like the song says: "Two wrongs don't make a right, but it damn sure makes us even!"

ezgif-5-959914ff2250.gif.f0cc4fc558f5a154dc6ff5904c80bf34.gif

18 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That is considerate and fair. 

If what is said below is common practice, it doesn't look good for Baldwin, especially as a producer. 

Apparently, they clear the weapon in front of the actor, including shining a light down the barrel. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/rust-cameraman-baldwin-gun-safety_n_6176eed6e4b066de4f6606c0

Authorities said Friday that the assistant director, Dave Halls, had handed the weapon to Baldwin and announced “cold gun,” indicating it was safe to use. 

Today's L.A. Times reported that Halls had previously been fired from a set for safety violations and he was well known for continuing to give short shrift to safety and was therefore a good guy to use for sets which had budget and time problems. If that's true and Baldwin was in charge, he's probably in trouble for simply hiring the guy.

https://www.newsunzip.com/wiki/dave-halls/

The Times also pointed out that the six crew members who walked off the set the morning of the shooting did not give as their reason safety issues but rather housing and payment problems.

Seems as though this was a cheap shit production that cut corners all the way around.