Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

So Alex Baldwin just shot and killed someone on a movie set.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This reminds me of Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow. Not sure how it happens, but it has happened. So sad. 

They load non live real bullets into the gun for movie shots of them loading the weapon. The weapon is then unloaded and loaded with blanks. In Brandon Lee's case a piece of the tip of the bullet broke off and got lodged in the chamber. When fired with the blank even a piece of the bullet is dangerous.

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

This reminds me of Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow. Not sure how it happens, but it has happened. So sad. 

For the "how" it happened to Brandon Lee:

On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene in The Crow where his character is shot and killed by thugs. In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee is to fire a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen

27 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

It’s the responsibility of the prop master to go check, double check, and check again to make sure everything is safe. Hearing that Baldwin shot a live round.. how many safety checks were ignored to allow this to happen?

I always assumed on movie sets they were fake guns and they just edited the sound in. Why would you even have a a loaded weapon that you will be waiving around on a movie set? 

24 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

I always assumed on movie sets they were fake guns and they just edited the sound in. Why would you even have a a loaded weapon that you will be waiving around on a movie set? 

That's my thoughts now.  CGI and sound are so good, what's the point of this?  You can CGI flash and recoil, no problem.  Sound as well.  Though for a John Wick or a war movie, that would probably take a lot of work.