Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Boise State to renovate Extra Mile Arena?

37 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Just imagine Nevada fans talking smack on the architecture of a building while sitting in front of a boarded up building in Reno with half the windows broken, while a homeless dude sits on the ground doing meth next to them.  Such a pretty picture.

Speaking of meth, maybe just say no next time?

To your point, though, while Nevada's athletic facilities aren't great, Nevada's campus is beautiful. Among the prettiest campuses in the West.

11 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Does being picked #1 in the Conf Pre-Season “…beat…the ever living shit out of…” playing in your Juco Barn?

Want to make strides to change your brand to a real D-1A University…go w/stone, brick ‘n’ Ivy.

Want to persist w/y’all’s community college vibe…glass & steel is a great look for los blu burros’ revamped hoops gym.

2A026363-C79E-4CB8-B0B2-961FD28B3B53.jpeg

Have you cleared display space for the Off Season Championship Trophy?

13 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I’ll never understand Nevada fans running smack on another team’s football stadium. Yes, Bronco a stadium is not all that attractive, but Mackay, while maybe looking a bit less thrown together, is not a pleasant stadium.

To all MW fans here - I can confirm Posturedoc is definitely thrown together, and is not pleasant in any way.  

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hell of a lot nicer looking than this...

Lawlor Events Center - Facilities - University of Nevada Athletics

I'd take Lawlor over Boise State's arena any day. 

57 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Speaking of meth, maybe just say no next time?

To your point, though, while Nevada's athletic facilities aren't great, Nevada's campus is beautiful. Among the prettiest campuses in the West.

Campus might be nice. But last time I was there (strip) I had to walk past like 7 boarded up buildings just to find a food place open

7 minutes ago, roughrider said:

For W's I  would too.  For hosting NCAA regionals I'll stick with ours.   Both are old and in need of refurb.

Definitely for W's. The NCAA had a rule against Nevada (the state) hosting NCAA tournament games until they changed that rule in 2018, so there is no way until now Lawlor could have hosted a regional. And you're correct, both are old and in need of renovation. If we're talking about the appearance of the building, I'd take Lawlor over Extra Mile. 

4 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Definitely for W's. The NCAA had a rule against Nevada (the state) hosting NCAA tournament games until they changed that rule in 2018, so there is no way until now Lawlor could have hosted a regional. And you're correct, both are old and in need of renovation. If we're talking about the appearance of the building, I'd take Lawlor over Extra Mile. 

Honestly I never cared for either from an outward appearance perspective.   But if this plan is legit they pretty much have to demolish the old gal and that would not hurt my feels.

6 hours ago, roughrider said:

Not likely.  We just have a president and a real AD that dont just hang onto the steering wheel as we drive off a cliff.  Vision and balls;   now we'll see if the execution of the vision is up to snuff.

You’re being too harsh on Kustra, he built this University. 

It makes sense to update the largest indoor event center in the city, that thing should be booked all winter long.  

7 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

You’re being too harsh on Kustra, he built this University. 

It makes sense to update the largest indoor event center in the city, that thing should be booked all winter long.  

I have a ton of respect for Kustra, especially on the academic side which was his forte.  He leveraged football success/PR very well.

And he hired the one year wonder at AD, can't remember his name but the guy was almost as good as Dickey IMO.  But when that guy bailed for Syracuse(?) he forced Apsey into the position because he had one foot in retirement and he didn't have the energy.  That set athletics back 5 years.  

I see Tromp and Dickey as a team working together and on the same page.

22 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

TBA is lifeless and boring as is right now, too.

It matches the newer architecture on campus.  I think it looks sick.  Different strokes for folks. 

Looks nice to me. You are going to see more modern edges like this going forward.  Never understood why other G5 fans bag on other conference team's upgrades. It's an arm's race and anyone, especially non P5 programs that try and keep up deserve credit. 

43 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What is Extra Mile? Sounds like legal amphetamines for truck drivers......which seems to make sense here.  

Even worse.  It's a convenience store brand (formerly Chevron and Jackson's).  942 stores in 6 Western states (making it the 9th largest type of chain nationwide). They are planning on 1500 stores by 2027.

3 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I have a ton of respect for Kustra, especially on the academic side which was his forte.  He leveraged football success/PR very well.

And he hired the one year wonder at AD, can't remember his name but the guy was almost as good as Dickey IMO.  But when that guy bailed for Syracuse(?) he forced Apsey into the position because he had one foot in retirement and he didn't have the energy.  That set athletics back 5 years.  

I see Tromp and Dickey as a team working together and on the same page.

Mark Coyle, he’s the AD at Minnesota. 

That guy is the salt of the earth, he would gladly stop and talk about sports with anyone.  I remember we had a snow storm before a home game, he was out shoveling the stadium stands all night long with staff.  

3 minutes ago, tailingpermit said:

Mark Coyle, he’s the AD at Minnesota. 

That guy is the salt of the earth, he would gladly stop and talk about sports with anyone.  I remember we had a snow storm before a home game, he was out shoveling the stadium stands all night long with staff.  

And he knew we had a sleeping 'giant' in hoops that was uncared for and needed decades of updates, etc.