Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nvspuds

Preseason BB selections

30 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

I think we have a shot at 4 tourney teams this year, but we all need to have our OOC shit together. Nevada, SDSU and CSU should be in with another surprise team playing above expectations. 

Will UNLV finally make good strides this year? I’m skeptical because they always seem to have good players on paper but as a group never pan out. Hopefully Kruger jr will finally break that seemingly perpetual situation. 

kat.jpg

32 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

It shouldn't be hard for UNLV to finish above 7th.  Their roster is well constructed for MW play.

That three-man-weave website I linked above has them predicted at 5th.  The roster is definitely solid, but will the 8 transfers mesh together?  And play defense?

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

I think we have a shot at 4 tourney teams this year, but we all need to have our OOC shit together. Nevada, SDSU and CSU should be in with another surprise team playing above expectations. 

Will UNLV finally make good strides this year? I’m skeptical because they always seem to have good players on paper but as a group never pan out. Hopefully Kruger jr will finally break that seemingly perpetual situation. 

An issue that Nevada has is our OOC schedule isn't very good, and we could be walking a fine line with the schedule. 

54 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

That three-man-weave website I linked above has them predicted at 5th.  The roster is definitely solid, but will the 8 transfers mesh together?  And play defense?

If you take a few minutes to look at the coaching staff you would know that even if they don’t play anything else that this team will play defense. After that most of it will revolve around play at the PG. I don’t know at what point it will happen but this team will mesh. Kruger definitely recruits character.. 

2 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

They will defend.  Kevin Kruger is the son of Lon Kruger.  He grew up learning the importance of defense.  I think they’re really going to ratchet up the pressure unlike Otzelberger.

I’m interested to see what they can do offensively.  They brought in three plus shooters, but they lack skill in the frontcourt.

I can see UNLV finishing as high as 3rd.  Things would have to completely fall apart for them to finish 7th.

20 minutes ago, roughrider said:

That's Leon's recruiting in a nutshell.  Even via transfers he can't get top MWC talent.....if he and his staff could coach up the honorable mention types we'd be gold.

I think he is perhaps too nice.  Rarely forces guys into the portal so fewer spots open to fill. 

3 hours ago, quickdraw said:

You don’t need to kick kids out to show that you are capable. You need to get the right kids in the first place and be able to teach and coach them up. 

He may have 2 pretty good recruits and according to at least Lindy's one steal in the last class.  Degenhart has gotten a following an they predict all conference level but we will see because development is still the question.   But it remains hit and mostly miss with Leon with recruiting.  His best recruiters were assistants who aren't here anymore.

31 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

I don’t think we have any one team that will make a big impact on the national scene, but I think the parity from 1-11 is as tough as it’s ever been. I can see the first place team having 5-6 losses. 

I think the Top 8 are improved. I still think UNM, SJSU, and AFA will be anchors this season.