Jump to content
UNLV2001

San Jose State at UNLV

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

But is that luck?  It's taking advantage of what a defense is giving you.  And these prevent "defenses" infuriate me more often than not. 

Every time we sent more than 3 last night they couldn’t block it. Just send a different guy on every play and that drive ends a lot earlier. The shine has come off odum a little bit this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

 

Yes. This. Coaching lost that game.

 

We have seen Martell for about 2 plays, both runs, and when Arroyo put him in he announced to both defenses (USU and SJSU) what play he was going to run. I think there is definitely something other than his passing ability that is keeping him off the field, whether it is personal issues, injuries, or personality clashes with the coach. We actually don't KNOW if he can be a qb, because we haven't seen him on the field. Arroyo shouldn't have let him come to UNLV in the first place if he had no intention of ever letting him on the field. I do know the kid can pass, I saw him do it in high school. More to being a qb though.

Exactly - this is what I don't get..........if Arroyo was loyal or locked into his trifecta of Rogers, Brumfield & Friel, then why even bother to bring Martell in ?!?! It's just going to create curiosity about why such a supposed high rated recruit is 4th on the depth chart ?!?! It's more distraction than anything..........here we are wondering "what's up" with the whole Martell situation. 

A more logical thing might have been to tell Martell, "These are my guys, and we really don't have room for you, try (insert school here)" - Just doesn't make sense that a guy who was one of the top HS QB recruits in the nation is happy or wants to ride the bench at a place like UNLV...........he could have rode the bench at Ohio St & at least been part of a top 10 program 

There has to be something that isn't public that's behind all this ..........a guy who was once a top 5 national QB recruit should have the drive to want to get on the field someplace even if it's an FCS program ?!?! This whole Martell college career just doesn't add up 

Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Exactly - this is what I don't get..........if Arroyo was loyal or locked into his trifecta of Rogers, Brumfield & Friel, then why even bother to bring Martell in ?!?! It's just going to create curiosity about why such a supposed high rated recruit is 4th on the depth chart ?!?! It's more distraction than anything..........here we are wondering "what's up" with the whole Martell situation. 

A more logical thing might have been to tell Martell, "These are my guys, and we really don't have room for you, try (insert school here)" - Just doesn't make sense that a guy who was one of the top HS QB recruits in the nation is happy or wants to ride the bench at a place like UNLV...........he could have rode the bench at Ohio St & at least been part of a top 10 program 

There has to be something that isn't public that's behind all this ..........a guy who was once a top 5 national QB recruit should have the drive to want to get on the field someplace even if it's an FCS program ?!?! This whole Martell college career just doesn't add up 

Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

I think it’s smart. This is a throwaway year for Vegas irregardless. You don’t recruit over QBs he undoubtedly made promises to — because a transfer falls into you lap at the 8th hour — unless they are a can’t miss talent and going to lead your team for at least this year and next. And there’s a reason Martel is bouncing around. I thought Freil shows promise. Vegas needs to show him some patience and let him develop. He’s a year removed from HS. This isn’t about this year. It’s about next and the year after that. Vegas cannot piss off its QB room over a kid on his third stop. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Exactly - this is what I don't get..........if Arroyo was loyal or locked into his trifecta of Rogers, Brumfield & Friel, then why even bother to bring Martell in ?!?! It's just going to create curiosity about why such a supposed high rated recruit is 4th on the depth chart ?!?! It's more distraction than anything..........here we are wondering "what's up" with the whole Martell situation. 

A more logical thing might have been to tell Martell, "These are my guys, and we really don't have room for you, try (insert school here)" - Just doesn't make sense that a guy who was one of the top HS QB recruits in the nation is happy or wants to ride the bench at a place like UNLV...........he could have rode the bench at Ohio St & at least been part of a top 10 program 

There has to be something that isn't public that's behind all this ..........a guy who was once a top 5 national QB recruit should have the drive to want to get on the field someplace even if it's an FCS program ?!?! This whole Martell college career just doesn't add up 

Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

When TCU recruited Rogers he was their highest ranked recruit in program history.  I think several organizations had him listed as a top 50 recruit nationally.  Obviously his drop foot prevented him from ever reaching his potential.  I don't know what Martell's issues are, but I don't think he was any higher regarded recruit than Rogers.  There is a reason that they are both at UNLV and it has nothing to do with their love of the program.  They are both there because they no longer have the same opportunities that they had when they were coming out of high school.  For whatever reason, neither ever came close to living up to their potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I think it’s smart. This is a throwaway year for Vegas irregardless. You don’t recruit over QBs he undoubtedly made promises to — because a transfer falls into you lap at the 8th hour — unless they are a can’t miss talent and going to lead your team for at least this year and next. And there’s a reason Martel is bouncing around. I thought Freil shows promise. Vegas needs to show him some patience and let him develop. He’s a year removed from HS. This isn’t about this year. It’s about next and the year after that. Vegas cannot piss off its QB room over a kid on his third stop. 

Agree- Martell if he was all that would have been the go to guy to bridge this season & maybe win 3 or 4 games & hand it off to the new guys next season - Last year was also a throw away year being only 6 games, all 2020 did was let guys get in 6 extra games & pad career stats.

This is a total rebuild project & not sure where or how a guy like Martell fits in the UNLV situation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

I think it’s smart. This is a throwaway year for Vegas irregardless. You don’t recruit over QBs he undoubtedly made promises to — because a transfer falls into you lap at the 8th hour — unless they are a can’t miss talent and going to lead your team for at least this year and next. And there’s a reason Martel is bouncing around. I thought Freil shows promise. Vegas needs to show him some patience and let him develop. He’s a year removed from HS. This isn’t about this year. It’s about next and the year after that. Vegas cannot piss off its QB room over a kid on his third stop. 

Totally agree.  The kid's a freshman,  He's going to make freshman mistakes and not always make reads and adjustments you expect of an upperclassman.  The last play of the game was an example.  Maybe an experienced QB at the college level could almost instinctively "feel" the rush from Harmon and throw it out of the back of the end zone.  That's a big ask of a freshman in a crucial moment. 

I think Friel is going to be OK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, masterfrog said:

When TCU recruited Rogers he was their highest ranked recruit in program history.  I think several organizations had him listed as a top 50 recruit nationally.  Obviously his drop foot prevented him from ever reaching his potential.  I don't know what Martell's issues are, but I don't think he was any higher regarded recruit than Rogers.  There is a reason that they are both at UNLV and it has nothing to do with their love of the program.  They are both there because they no longer have the same opportunities that they had when they were coming out of high school.  For whatever reason, neither ever came close to living up to their potential.

And both didn't make it at higher rated programs than UNLV and now at UNLV both are sitting 3rd & 4th on the depth chart - Either recruiting was way off, or something else is the problem..........Martell & Rogers might want to try some FCS programs 

We've seen other P5 program guys come into UNLV & some do ok, some are barely a factor.........but those guys were 3 or 4 star level recruits, not 5 star major recruits like Rogers & Martell 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

And both didn't make it at higher rated programs than UNLV and now at UNLV both are sitting 3rd & 4th on the depth chart - Either recruiting was way off, or something else is the problem..........Martell & Rogers might want to try some FCS programs 

We've seen other P5 program guys come into UNLV & some do ok, some are barely a factor.........but those guys were 3 or 4 star level recruits, not 5 star major recruits like Rogers & Martell 

Like I said, I'm not sure what Martell's issues might be, but I think with Rogers it is just due to his foot injury.  He just can't do the same things he could do when he was a junior in high school and after five years of trying, it doesn't look like he will ever be able to do that again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Exactly - this is what I don't get..........if Arroyo was loyal or locked into his trifecta of Rogers, Brumfield & Friel, then why even bother to bring Martell in ?!?! It's just going to create curiosity about why such a supposed high rated recruit is 4th on the depth chart ?!?! It's more distraction than anything..........here we are wondering "what's up" with the whole Martell situation. 

A more logical thing might have been to tell Martell, "These are my guys, and we really don't have room for you, try (insert school here)" - Just doesn't make sense that a guy who was one of the top HS QB recruits in the nation is happy or wants to ride the bench at a place like UNLV...........he could have rode the bench at Ohio St & at least been part of a top 10 program 

There has to be something that isn't public that's behind all this ..........a guy who was once a top 5 national QB recruit should have the drive to want to get on the field someplace even if it's an FCS program ?!?! This whole Martell college career just doesn't add up 

Nervous Looney Tunes GIF

He just may no longer be passionate about football. It happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

He just may no longer be passionate about football. It happens. 

It does........maybe burnt out & tired of the high expectations that were heaped on him coming out of HS.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, quickdraw said:

I think this is RR with an alter ego. 

It’s not RR, but posting style is familiar. I’m  certain he was a member of the Menzies can do no wrong fan club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 702Canary said:

Great response.  Just admit when your wrong like a normal adult

Nothing I said was wrong. Didn’t they teach you reading comprehension in secondary school? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a fumble towards the end of the game that luckily a spartan was there to jump on, sometimes, in a close game the bounce of the ball one way or the other can change the outcome of a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Rocket said:

There was a fumble towards the end of the game that luckily a spartan was there to jump on, sometimes, in a close game the bounce of the ball one way or the other can change the outcome of a game.

When you are a losing program, things don’t go your way.  Look no further than last week when UNLV got hosed on multiple reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

When you are a losing program, things don’t go your way.  Look no further than last week when UNLV got hosed on multiple reviews.

That’s a part of the struggle of a coaching staff, how to change the culture of losing into a culture of winning? It takes time and energy and perseverance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ph90702 said:

When you are a losing program, things don’t go your way.  Look no further than last week when UNLV got hosed on multiple reviews.

Or don't get the call in the first place. If this was anybody else...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Or don't get the call in the first place. If this was anybody else...

 

Targeting has become such a BScall or non call anymore. It all about protecting the players except when you want to get off the field and go home. UNLV will need to take the game away from officials and win on their own steam and without doubt. Until then….whippet-boy. To sum it up again, the officials are partial and they suck. Conclusion is that you just gotta win anyway.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

Targeting has become such a BScall or non call anymore. It all about protecting the players except when you want to get off the field and go home. UNLV will need to take the game away from officials and win on their own steam and without doubt. Until then….whippet-boy. To sum it up again, the officials are partial and they suck. Conclusion is that you just gotta win anyway.

Excellent point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...