Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

San Jose State at UNLV

12 hours ago, ph90702 said:

We are unable to score later on in games.  Offense should get better as the game goes on, not worse.  In addition, I DESPISE our conservative defense.  We NEVER jam receivers at the line of scrimmage.

There is nothing more basic about defense than tackling. However, although your transfer LB from TCU is fine the other guys you use on that side of the ball would have trouble tackling my grandmother. And she's dead.

Time to fire your defensive coordinator.

As to offense, there's no better example of how unsophisticated you Rebels are about football than how many of you predicted on this very board that Tate Martell was going to result in a dramatic improvement. To which all the rest of us replied bullshit. As usual, we were right and you were wrong.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I think UNLV's stable of QB's could be pretty good given time - Friel showed some positives last night - But being a freshman with limited playing time, UNLV & him converting all those 3rd & long passes were pretty lucky..........the drive could have ended way back at UNLV's 34 yard line & never even crossed mid field 

There's more to this loss than just the last drive..........it's a combo of everything from young inexperienced players to missed assignments, silly penalties, coaching gaffs and all else.

At least UNLV is making the games interesting & actually has had shots to have won two or three games..............it's just a step in the right direction hopefully 

Many of the pieces are starting to fit together better. The whole is still lacking especially when we have key players out like primarily Brumfield and Friel. 2 or 3 games so far have turned when those two guys were knocked out or unable to complete a game along with EWU when Brumfield was put in too late after Rogers tanked. Defensive backfield is the most suspect on the team overall. How we finish the year will speak volumes. I’m optimistic that it will all come together.

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

Many of the pieces are starting to fit together better. The whole is still lacking especially when we have key players out like primarily Brumfield and Friel. 2 or 3 games so far have turned when those two guys were knocked out or unable to complete a game along with EWU when Brumfield was put in too late after Rogers tanked. Defensive backfield is the most suspect on the team overall. How we finish the year will speak volumes. I’m optimistic that it will all come together.

Announcers mentioned that last night was the first game this season where the starting QB finished the game - the QB injuries have been tough 

I guess if anything, at least lots of guys are getting playing time that could pay off in coming seasons - recruiting doesn't seem to be all that bad, & there's always the transfer portal ......as we know turning around a FB program takes time. Having a Friel / Brunfield QB tandem going forward might not be a bad thing

Still wonder what the overall deal with Tate Martell is though...........something's just odd about that whole situation to me :hmmm:

2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I was so relieved to be wrong last night that I didn’t quite appreciate that Kyle Harmon sack as much as I should have. Dude was a missile on that play.

He was quick off the snap & went in untouched or even had to alter his path to the QB

One view shows a UNLV guy not far from him, but he never even looks his way - seems the UNLV guy was focused on his passing route maybe ?!?!

Another minor thing was that a UNLV WR or TE came up gimpy on the way back to the line after the sack..........so doubtful UNLV could have done much else even if the sack didn't happen..........UNLV needed to make the pass to the end zone with the few seconds left on the clock...........it was game over if UNLV came up short of the end zone even with no sack 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

He would have gotten sacked on that last play whether he read the blitz or not. There was no stopping that guy. 

Yeah but it was clear he didn't even anticipate the possibility of that blitz and didn't even see the guy out of his peripheral vision.

But that just shows how raw the kid is. Contrary to the average UNLV quarterback prospect, Friel actually exudes talent. Your staff should show some faith in the kid by encouraging Martell to transfer for something like the 20th time so Friel won't be looking over his shoulder next year. (YBU would make perfect sense since Martell will be 24 next year.)

11 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Yeah but it was clear he didn't even anticipate the possibility of that blitz and didn't even see the guy out of his peripheral vision.

But that just shows how raw the kid is. Contrary to the average UNLV quarterback prospect, Friel actually exudes talent. Your staff should show some faith in the kid by encouraging Martell to transfer for something like the 20th time so Friel won't be looking over his shoulder next year. (YBU would make perfect sense since Martell will be 24 next year.)

Good points !!

Not sure what the deal with Martell is...........I'd think that after being so highly recruited and going to two major programs and not seeing the field..........UNLV should be a place, especially with the rebuild that is underway, that he could probably get a decent shot at playing.............if he burns this season standing on the sideline, I would think he'd try one last time to get on the field even it it means going to an FCS program...........after all this one would think Martell is desperate to get in games ?!?!

Or there's some deeper issue that isn't being made public ??!?!

27 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I was so relieved to be wrong last night that I didn’t quite appreciate that Kyle Harmon sack as much as I should have. Dude was a missile on that play.

He straight up went all Keith Smith. Harmon is an animal. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good points !!

Not sure what the deal with Martell is...........I'd think that after being so highly recruited and going to two major programs and not seeing the field..........UNLV should be a place, especially with the rebuild that is underway, that he could probably get a decent shot at playing.............if he burns this season standing on the sideline, I would think he'd try one last time to get on the field even it it means going to an FCS program...........after all this one would think Martell is desperate to get in games ?!?!

Or there's some deeper issue that isn't being made public ??!?!

some guys are wildly overrated out of HS for whatever reason and they get a permanent fat head about it. 

Just now, Rofl_copter_dos said:

some guys are wildly overrated out of HS for whatever reason and they get a permanent fat head about it. 

Either he's got some injury that's not being fully disclosed, or some other health issue............maybe he was one of the most overrated players ever coming out of HS - Still, even if he couldn't cut it at Ohio St & Miami........maybe UNLV was a place he could fine time............but if he can't get on the field at UNLV, then may it's time for FCS or D-II 

After all this he's down to one year left & hasn't played other than a few snaps.................or maybe he's just packed it in, is concentrating on a degree and moving on in life (nothing wrong with that) 

Flame me if you want, I know people want answers and to point fingers blame, no moral victories, etc.

But, as others have said, this team really doesn't look that bad, they're just not winning. Sanchize and most Hauck teams always looked bad, awkward, and unathletic, even if they did win a couple games here and there. 

When the players, and especially Arroyo (freshman coach), learn how to close I think they just might win a fair amount of games in the next years. For once I see defense that isn't 100% over-matched and clueless.  For once I see a qb (a freshman) make a few quality throws here and there.  Although far from perfect, the tackling is better. The fundamentals are better. They just don't look so pathetic. 

20 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Flame me if you want, I know people want answers and to point fingers blame, no moral victories, etc.

But, as others have said, this team really doesn't look that bad, they're just not winning. Sanchize and most Hauck teams always looked bad, awkward, and unathletic, even if they did win a couple games here and there. 

When the players, and especially Arroyo (freshman coach), learn how to close I think they just might win a fair amount of games in the next years. For once I see defense that isn't 100% over-matched and clueless.  For once I see a qb (a freshman) make a few quality throws here and there.  Although far from perfect, the tackling is better. The fundamentals are better. They just don't look so pathetic. 

I very much agree.  As I mentioned a couple hours ago, this Rebels team reminds me a lot of the 1-11 SJSU squad of 2018.  They were far more competitive than the record indicated (apart from a couple of blowouts and a Week 0 loss to Davis).  They led in several games and lost leads in the 4th quarter and found ways to lose even though they were sometimes the better team for *most* of the 60 minutes (or more in the case of the Hawaii loss, when they missed a chip-shot, game winning FG in an earlier OT period only to lose in a later OT).  They played a ranked Oregon team tough in Eugene and lost by less than two TDs.  Sometimes they fell behind early, but fought back but couldn't get all the way back. 

The talent was getting there.  The winner's mentality, the instinct to go for the kill, the ability to enter a 4th quarter without dread and fear *knowing* you'd find a way to lose, was not at all there yet.  For the Spartans, I think the 2019 Arkansas game was a turning point, a game which they largely controlled, started to feel slipping away in the second half, yet they reached back and found a way to win (the 2018 team probably does not do that). 

UNLV has more talent than their record.  But it takes some coaching up and some developing a mentality of expecting to win rather than expecting to find a way to lose. 

25 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Positives over the last couple of games have been the defense against the run and pass rushing - UNLV stopped SJS a few times on short yardage which was huge in this game 

O-Line while ok at blocking for the run, isn't that good in pass protection blocking 

DL & LB's have been pretty decent at stopping the rushing game .........DB's & LB's in pass coverage not so much 

Despite the 0-7 this season, there's signs of some good things.................but, there's also some really bad things that seem to creep up quite a bit, like delay of game penalties because of lousy substitutions & false starts /offsides 

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV was lucky to even get it as close to as they did to the SJS end zone............. it was all long 3rd down conversions that kept the drive going multiple times - What are the odds Friel would convert 4 3rd & long passes in a row 

But is that luck?  It's taking advantage of what a defense is giving you.  And these prevent "defenses" infuriate me more often than not. 

39 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Positives over the last couple of games have been the defense against the run and pass rushing - UNLV stopped SJS a few times on short yardage which was huge in this game 

O-Line while ok at blocking for the run, isn't that good in pass protection blocking 

DL & LB's have been pretty decent at stopping the rushing game .........DB's & LB's in pass coverage not so much 

Despite the 0-7 this season, there's signs of some good things.................but, there's also some really bad things that seem to creep up quite a bit, like delay of game penalties because of lousy substitutions & false starts /offsides 

We are 0-fer and the worst coached team in D1.  Our HC literally has no fckn clue what he is doing.  He has big glasses and looks at a lot of folders during the game tho.

Arroyo is lucky bc nobody gives a shit and it will all slide.   I am not a fan of Bischoff but at least he calls this crap out.

It's gotta stop.  Arroyo is THE HIGHEST PAID NV PUBLIC OFFICIAL or whatever in Nevada.  Lets all laugh at how utterly stupid that is.

17 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

But is that luck?  It's taking advantage of what a defense is giving you.  And these prevent "defenses" infuriate me more often than not. 

Making 4 3rd downs & one 4th down had some luck involved - maybe the prevent defense helped, but with UNLV doing things right when up against it takes some luck 

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

All the best offenses always have a high conversion rate on first or second down not taking sacks, throwing into coverage, or constantly throwing a check down pass. 

The last play, there was no excuse to hold onto the ball as if your looking downfield for a 50 yard bomb. Credit the San Jose state defensive coordinator for dialing up a play designed to confuse Friel. Before the snap, SJSU was showing blitz, then linebackers dropped into coverage except for Harmon. That’s a hard play to diagnose in real time. 

Arroyo should have known Friel’s tendencies and called out of the shotgun with Chuck wagon in the backfield with the option to pass protect or run out as a safety valve. Then again, Chuck wagon isn’t that good in pass protection (he got blown up in this game several times, this will ding him in scouting reports for the nfl draft). A designed roll out would have worked too for a quick strike or throw away. Either way, no quarterback should be holding on to the ball that long with no timeouts. 

If UNLV gets Brumfield back, they’ll be a better team and probably win a couple games to close out the season because Brumfield has a quick release, scans the field faster, and a dual threat. All of this means he can convert on first and second downs more frequently. 

3 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

There’s also no reason to hold onto the ball forever. Gotta know you only have 15 seconds left, can’t take a sack, have to get rid of it immediately. 

The fact SJSU was showing blitz then dropped into coverage confused the shit out of Friel and forced him to stand there. That was a great play call by SJSU and a checkmate. Could have been a better designed play by Arroyo, IMO for a quick strike. 

Yes. This. Coaching lost that game.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

There is nothing more basic about defense than tackling. However, although your transfer LB from TCU is fine the other guys you use on that side of the ball would have trouble tackling my grandmother. And she's dead.

Time to fire your defensive coordinator.

As to offense, there's no better example of how unsophisticated you Rebels are about football than how many of you predicted on this very board that Tate Martell was going to result in a dramatic improvement. To which all the rest of us replied bullshit. As usual, we were right and you were wrong.

We have seen Martell for about 2 plays, both runs, and when Arroyo put him in he announced to both defenses (USU and SJSU) what play he was going to run. I think there is definitely something other than his passing ability that is keeping him off the field, whether it is personal issues, injuries, or personality clashes with the coach. We actually don't KNOW if he can be a qb, because we haven't seen him on the field. Arroyo shouldn't have let him come to UNLV in the first place if he had no intention of ever letting him on the field. I do know the kid can pass, I saw him do it in high school. More to being a qb though.