Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Dodd: MW will not expand for football

17 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

That's part of it. But fundamentally, evangelicals of whatever stripe are guided by faith, which I've come to view as a dangerous principle. Most religious leaders don't want their followers to think for themselves; they want them to merely listen and obey what they're told.

I am not a member of any organized or unorganized religion but I do find fault with your logic.

Better to say most political leaders don't want their followers to think for themselves, they want them to listen and obey.  Remember you can always walk away from church however it is very difficult to walk away from a law that political leaders force upon the nation. Unlike with religious leaders political leaders can put you in prison and sometimes do.  Or they can take your rights away and often do.

wont accept science because it does not have enough evidence takes the  bible on faith - Scumbag Christian | Make a Meme

2 minutes ago, An Admirer from the East said:

love the connection between religion & MW football expansion!

They are both constantly trying to expand.  So are political leaders.

9 hours ago, Runandshoot said:

So does the MWC like Hawaii in it or not? I get the notion that a few teams want us out, but the majority wants us in? I want in for all sports like the WAC. But the Wyomings and mountain team seem to want us out period. The only fan base in that division that seems to like us is Boise State. 

It appears to me that, as you suggest, virtually nobody who is a fan of schools in the West division wants Hawaii gone. From what I can tell, it's mainly fans of front range schools who feel that way and I can't blame them because of the travel time and the fact the culture is so different. (You don't see a lot of leis in Wyoming nor cowboy hats in Hawaii.)

Those kinds of cultural differences used to bother me a lot too but I've been making an effort not to hate the MWC as much as I once did and have had some success. One reason is that although I'm no fan of Craig Thompson, over the last few years I've seen how awful a conference commissioner CAN be and those of us in the MWC could actually be stuck with an asshat like Mike Aresco.

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

It appears to me that, as you suggest, virtually nobody who is a fan of schools in the West division wants Hawaii gone. From what I can tell, it's mainly fans of front range schools who feel that way and I can't blame them because of the travel time and the fact the culture is so different. (You don't see a lot of leis in Wyoming nor cowboy hats in Hawaii.)

Those kinds of cultural differences used to bother me a lot too but I've been making an effort not to hate the MWC as much as I once did and have had some success. One reason is that although I'm no fan of Craig Thompson, over the last few years I've seen how awful a conference commissioner CAN be and those of us in the MWC could actually be stuck with an asshat like Mike Aresco.

I want Hawaii gone! 🌈

11 hours ago, Runandshoot said:

So does the MWC like Hawaii in it or not? I get the notion that a few teams want us out, but the majority wants us in? I want in for all sports like the WAC. But the Wyomings and mountain team seem to want us out period. The only fan base in that division that seems to like us is Boise State. 

In real life you will find most Wyoming fans like Hawaii and think the Paniolo Trophy is a cool and unique trophy.  

No issues from Wyoming.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:29 PM, Aztec Since 88 said:

Right now with what schools are available to add.  I am sticking with the concept of "Less is More"  Unless we can a add quality basketball school like Gonzaga or Wichita St.

Gonzaga for sure. Not sure about WSU. If they don't want to come we should try to get them to schedule a home and away game with some of the MWC members on a rotation basis. That would do well to replace the loss of BYU.

13 hours ago, Runandshoot said:

I don't think anyone really wants them gone, I think what happened was travel costs were adding up for Oly sports for some of the schools. Then Hawaii was seriously considering going independent for football and MWC wasn't going to allow someone to be be out football and leave their Oly sports in. But I think it came down more to costs for Oly sports for schools than actually wanting Hawaii out

13 hours ago, Aztecfan1 said:

Have you folks noted that Thompson says MWC is considering doing away with the two divisions? Think of the implications of that? You’d still only be playing eight of the 11 other teams each year. Top two go to  Ccg. No decision yet. 

They brought that up a while ago as a possibility for the future just like expansion is on the table as well and other things were on the table that were clarified. 

On 10/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, MWC Tex said:

Dodd: AAC expansion

“Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said. Teams in the league earn an average of $5 million per year, and the MWC's current TV deal expires in 2026. 

"I don't understand the value of 14 [in the AAC]," said a high-profile source familiar with media rights worth of schools, "but more power to them."

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson admitted this weekend that he had spoken to "four to six" schools while investigating potential expansion. Three of those were thought to be North Texas, UTSA and Rice with an aim of creating a stronger recruiting presence in Texas.”

Great move Craig. The MWC is perfect just the way it is.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:04 PM, EvilPoke said:

Here's what I don't get- we had 3 ADs basically say we're expanding to Texas, then less than two weeks later, everyone is happy at 12? What???

Either those ADs talked without knowing the TV $$$$ (which I doubt) or enough schools were like 'expand into Texas and lose money? Hell no.' 

I would have loved to be in those meetings.... See who exactly was for and who was against.

(If someone already posted this thought previously - good job!)

Get ready for a Texas State and UTEP add.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, southfresno said:

Have you asked an "evangelical" why they believe what they believe? Are you sure you're not just attacking a caricature, a strawman? 

Evangelicals constantly tell us what they believe and what the rest of us should believe and do.

Phuck 'em.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/21/2021 at 10:49 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

What happens if SMU wants in the MWC?  They have to be pissed being left with those screwball teams coming into the AAC.

A guy who played on our slow pitch softball team for several years was a smoo grad from the Windy City. Mike's take on his alma mater was that at least when he went there in the early nineties, the fan base was very divided as to the emphasis to be placed on football. On the one hand there were a lot of wealthy alumni who weren't bothered by the death penalty and had the opinion that they should either emphasize winning or simply drop the sport whereas OTOH there were many who thought that overemphasized winning besmirched the reputation of what is a great academic institution. Maybe the latter opinion has diminished about three decades later but as the blogger Frank the Tank has said, conference affiliation decisions are made by school presidents and the smoo administration has always valued its relationship with Tulane. There are no private schools in the MWC but the AAC also has Tulsa so maybe if Craig the Hair would also try to grab the Golden Hurricanes smoo's administration would consider leaving the AAC but otherwise I wouldn't be optimistic about that at all.

3 hours ago, Aztec Since 88 said:

I think SMU and Memphis are waiting to see what the next move is by the not so B12.  If they don't make it in, then they will look to the MW for a lifeline to get out of the AAC/CUSA 4.0.

SMU is doing what it can to set itself set up for Chapter 2, as some are calling it, for Big 12 expansion which continues to mention Memphis, Boise, SMU and South Florida as they next candidates to invitees.

5 hours ago, Aztec Since 88 said:

I think SMU and Memphis are waiting to see what the next move is by the not so B12.  If they don't make it in, then they will look to the MW for a lifeline to get out of the AAC/CUSA 4.0.

Memphis may be a target, but SMU is likely not since they already have TCU in Dallas. Personally, I think the B12 looks west to reduce travel costs for BYU.