Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Dodd: MW will not expand for football

What if the MWC went away from the E-W alignment & went N-S 

North = BSU - NV  - USU - Wyo - CSU - AF

South = Haw - SDSU - Fresno - UNLV - SJS  - NM 

Not sure NV & UNLV would be happy, but maybe they schedule each season 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

North = BSU - NV - SJS  - USU - Wyo - CSU

South = Haw - SDSU - Fresno - UNLV - AF - NM 

Biggest gripe with this would be NV / UNLV..........then maybe ........Fresno / SJSU 

I think they are going to do away with divisions..

Just now, nvspuds said:

I think they are going to do away with divisions..

I edited my post............but I could see the MWC just going with a straight 12..........the MWC Championship game is always risky because the higher ranked / rated could get beat costing the MWC big 

I would prefer Hawaii just becomes a full member so we can have travel partners. I know someone will say travel is too much, but in an ideal world this would make the league more fun for basketball.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

48 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

I would prefer Hawaii just becomes a full member so we can have travel partners. I know someone will say travel is too much, but in an ideal world this would make the league more fun for basketball.

It could make sense if there were divisional play to keep everyone's road trip costs and durations down.

10 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

It could make sense if there were divisional play to keep everyone's road trip costs and durations down.

Hawaii would be paired with SDSU in the west - or with UCSD in the South if your current conference added anybody. It's simple regardless

1 hour ago, Aztec Since 88 said:

Right now with what schools are available to add.  I am sticking with the concept of "Less is More"  Unless we can a add quality basketball school like Gonzage or Wichita St.

I think that is the conclusion the MWC presidents came to quite awhile ago.

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Or forego a championship game..

Folks tend to forget that the rules are about to change.  There's a big meeting next month, the focus of which appears to be the NCAA taking a step back and giving more latitude to the individual conferences to self regulate.  I don't know what that's going to look like, but I think it's wise to wait and read the new rule book (might be a huge change, might be minor) before trying to figure out how to plan for the future.

My hope is that it makes sense to still have at least 3 OOC games.  I can certainly see less G5 access to P5 OOC on the horizon.

11 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Folks tend to forget that the rules are about to change.  There's a big meeting next month, the focus of which appears to be the NCAA taking a step back and giving more latitude to the individual conferences to self regulate.  I don't know what that's going to look like, but I think it's wise to wait and read the new rule book (might be a huge change, might be minor) before trying to figure out how to plan for the future.

My hope is that it makes sense to still have at least 3 OOC games.  I can certainly see less G5 access to P5 OOC on the horizon.

Yep

I suspect the NCAA regs on conferences are going bye bye.  No way the SEC or any A5 want divisions anymore.  The G5 will agree with them.  Everyone wants their best teams in the conference championship game, not just a divisional champ matchup.  Divisions just get in the way in a big conference  wanting creative scheduling.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:08 PM, utgrizfan said:

I wonder how this is going to affect CSU and AF if expanding into Texas was a condition of theirs for staying in the conference. Seems like they got outvoted by the rest of the presidents.

I have read on the AAC website that the ESPN contract limits the conference to a max of 14 teams. If so they (AAC) can not invite any additional teams until the TV contract expires in 8 or 9 years.  They are stuck with the 14 they have for now.

12 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

North = BSU - NV  - USU - Wyo - CSU - AF

South = Haw - SDSU - Fresno - UNLV - SJS  - NM 

Not sure NV & UNLV would be happy, but maybe they schedule each season 

This works for the BSU - Nevada rivalry.

UNM suddenly has a travel issue.

UNLV will be pissed about losing their only guaranteed win of the season.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

7 hours ago, King Spartan said:

As stated in another post/thread Hawaii plays sports sponsored by the BW and not the MW. It makes more sense for their Olys to stay in the BW.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

17 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I have nothing against Christians in general. It's evangelical ones I don't like. Evangelical Christians, Ultra-Orthodox Jews, fundamentalist Muslims, etc. I have no use for any of them and so never want my school to be in a conference with GCU or Liberty. Add the fact the proportion of on-line courses at each one is massive and I don't respect their academics either.

Exactly how is this not bigotry? Sounds like "I don't like your type around here"

38 minutes ago, southfresno said:

Exactly how is this not bigotry? Sounds like "I don't like your type around here"

Hmm. Interesting thought. Here’s another angle. When religious organizations express political viewpoints, and their leaders express political opinion by supporting antisemitic and racist theology then well they are fair game?

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I can certainly see less G5 access to P5 OOC on the horizon.

I doubt that. There are a lot of P5 programs who can't afford to give up their cupcake games against the likes of Akron and Texas State, because otherwise they might never make a bowl game. I think the conferences are smart enough to avoid messing with OOC play too much because they don't want to effectively destroy a bunch of their members' programs.

The only thing that might complicate this is if the NCAA eventually lowers the standards for bowl eligibility to the point of meaninglessness. We did just see a 3-7 Mississippi State team win a bowl game last year. It was under unprecedented circumstances, sure, but still.

0mK6pGK.png