Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Dodd: MW will not expand for football

11 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

No, the for profit sector has a very bad reputation in the world of higher education. The vast majority of for profit schools exist only to encourage their students to take out massive amounts of loans while leaving them with worthless degrees (if they get a degree at all). Denver left the WAC when GCU was added because they did not want to have any kind of association with a for profit school. GCU, to be fair, has been trying to reclassify themselves as a nonprofit and shed their image as a diploma mill. But I would not want to share a conference with a for profit school no matter how successful they are at basketball.

So NCAA schools don’t provide worthless degrees in even more massive numbers? Of course they do. You have to take responsibility as a consumer when you’re buying an ‘educational opportunity’ whether it’s at USC, GCU, Clark County Community University, Notre Dame, Fresno St., etc. 

I’m not endorsing GCU, I’m just being real. Should we hate on for profit toll roads that never would’ve been built by the gov because of a lack of money? Should we not take drugs that came from research for for profit pharmaceuticals instead of gov research? There’s plenty of “joke” in the NCAA, so I don’t see the issue.

I think we need to take a look at for profit schools on a case by case basis, not a stereotypical demonization. 

kat.jpg

11 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Right, but that was also right after Marshall. Can they keep it going?  I would think yes.  What if that coach moves on?  Or what if Marshalls recruits are all gone starting around now and they start to struggle?  

Look at a coach like Dave Rice who did well with Krugers kids and then slowly declined.  Coker at Miami.  Solich at Nebraska.  And many more. It happens.  

On the other hand, Marshall resigned in disgrace right before the season started and they had to scramble to promote from within on short notice. That's not exactly the ideal way to start the post-Marshall era. Brown managed to not only hold the team together under those tough circumstances, but also achieve well beyond anyone's expectations. There's something to be said for that.

I'm not sure Brown will be poached so easily, either. Back when Marshall was one of the hottest coaching candidates on the market, he routinely turned down offers from bigger schools like Alabama and Iowa to stay in Wichita.

0mK6pGK.png

13 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I'm fine with Boise going west.  I really don't care about who's in what division.  What I don't like is all the west coasters arguing to bring Boise west, and adding a crap school to the conference to replace them.  Take Boise, nobody in the Mtn. will give a shit.  Just don't use it as an excuse to add a UTEP, UTSA, or NMSU to the conference.  Hell, we'll take UNLV or SDSU if you really have to have some sort of divisional rivalry thing.

SDSU has stated publicly the school wants to play Boise every year in football.  

25 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

So NCAA schools don’t provide worthless degrees in even more massive numbers? Of course they do. You have to take responsibility as a consumer when you’re buying an ‘educational opportunity’ whether it’s at USC, GCU, Clark County Community University, Notre Dame, Fresno St., etc. 

I’m not endorsing GCU, I’m just being real. Should we hate on for profit toll roads that never would’ve been built by the gov because of a lack of money? Should we not take drugs that came from research for for profit pharmaceuticals instead of gov research? There’s plenty of “joke” in the NCAA, so I don’t see the issue.

I think we need to take a look at for profit schools on a case by case basis, not a stereotypical demonization. 

I don’t dislike adding GCU because of whatever their nonprofit status is, I just don’t see value in their basketball program. Let them win a few NCAAT games before inviting them. 

4 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

I don’t dislike adding GCU because of whatever their nonprofit status is, I just don’t see value in their basketball program. Let them win a few NCAAT games before inviting them. 

Or even just one.  Gonzaga is the biggest prize out there.  Last time around the WCC had BYU.  Can the MWC offer enough to move a second time around?

31 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

On the other hand, Marshall resigned in disgrace right before the season started and they had to scramble to promote from within on short notice. That's not exactly the ideal way to start the post-Marshall era. Brown managed to not only hold the team together under those tough circumstances, but also achieve well beyond anyone's expectations. There's something to be said for that.

I'm not sure Brown will be poached so easily, either. Back when Marshall was one of the hottest coaching candidates on the market, he routinely turned down offers from bigger schools like Alabama and Iowa to stay in Wichita.

NT

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

11 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

SDSU has stated publicly the school wants to play Boise every year in football.  

SUDS should switch Divisions with Boise. They would have an inside track to the CCG every season.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

CT also said that doing away with divisions for football was also an option as well which I wouldn't be surprised if we see that starting next season. 

With this expansion and happens, AFA and CSU have no where to go now. AAC wont' expand to 16 schools and they now can't give them a different deal than those other new schools coming in. So unless they want to go independent, the AAC has closed the door on them.  However it doesn't stop the schools from scheduling Texas teams like with what Air Force just did with UTSA. 

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

CT also said that doing away with divisions for football was also an option as well which I wouldn't be surprised if we see that starting next season. 

That would mean dumping the CCG or going to an 11 game conference schedule.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

12 minutes ago, RSF said:

That would mean dumping the CCG or going to an 11 game conference schedule.

No it can be neither. We use the AAC model because we do have 12 schools so those other rules don't think applies to us. We can have the top two teams in a championship game and still play 8 conference games.  But it could cause some scheduling headaches

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

No it can be neither. We use the AAC model because we do have 12 schools so those other rules don't think applies to us. We can have the top two teams in a championship game and still play 8 conference games.  But it could cause some scheduling headaches

AAC had a 2 year waiver, to buy them time when they lost UConn.  The NCAA bylaw is conferences must either have 1 division and full round robin (top 2 teams play), or divisions with round robin and the division winners play.

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/reports/getReport/90008

17.11.6.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]

17.11.6.2.1 Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, the maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following: (Revised: 1/10/90, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 10/28/10, 10/27/11 effective 4/1/12, Adopted: 8/2/12 effective 8/1/14, 1/15/16 effective 8/1/16) (a) Spring Game. One contest at the conclusion of the spring practice period [see Bylaw 17.11.5-(a)], provided the contest is against a team composed of bona fide alumni or students or both;

(b) Conference Championship Game. One conference championship game: (1) Between division champions of a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally balanced in number as possible) and conducts round-robin, regular-season competition in each division; or (2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular-season competition among all members of the conference.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Dodd: AAC expansion

“Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said. Teams in the league earn an average of $5 million per year, and the MWC's current TV deal expires in 2026.”

Is this correct?

I posted this on another thread:

What is the MWC’s TV deal worth?

I found an article online that quotes $270M over 6 years. That’s $45M/year divided by 12 schools comes to $3.75M per school/per year. I don’t know how Hawaii being a football-only member impacts the revenue shares. 

Is this right/the most current?

How do the financials work out to $5M/year/school at $45M/year? Was the quoted deal in that article supplemented by additional funds for third-tier rights or something? 

Or does that $5M/year figure include CFP payouts and/or APR payouts, etc.?

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

We'd have to be pretty desperate to add GCU.  They bring no value other than being a warm body. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 hours ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I would respect your opinion more if you were completely honest about it; you are a Christaphobe and you hate the fact that they are evangelical Christians. Just admit it. Own your bigotry, acknowledge your bigotry and overcome your bigotry.

I have nothing against Christians in general. It's evangelical ones I don't like. Evangelical Christians, Ultra-Orthodox Jews, fundamentalist Muslims, etc. I have no use for any of them and so never want my school to be in a conference with GCU or Liberty. Add the fact the proportion of on-line courses at each one is massive and I don't respect their academics either.

11 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

They ended up doing it through meditation but it was a drawn out affair. ACC held money that was due to Maryland saying since Maryland was leaving, they weren't entitled to it. Maryland filed suit against ACC over that,

image.jpeg.b04d0503fbe20590de619a368fe911cc.jpeg

1 hour ago, TheBigAwesome said:

Is this correct?

I posted this on another thread:

How do the financials work out to $5M/year/school at $45M/year? Was the quoted deal in that article supplemented by additional funds for third-tier rights or something? 

Or does that $5M/year figure include CFP payouts and/or APR payouts, etc.?

Hawaii does not receive $5m per year from the MW TV deal. They bring in additional income from their PPV deal.