Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Dodd: MW will not expand for football

51 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

And who cares quite honestly. Move Boise west. 

I'm fine with Boise going west.  I really don't care about who's in what division.  What I don't like is all the west coasters arguing to bring Boise west, and adding a crap school to the conference to replace them.  Take Boise, nobody in the Mtn. will give a shit.  Just don't use it as an excuse to add a UTEP, UTSA, or NMSU to the conference.  Hell, we'll take UNLV or SDSU if you really have to have some sort of divisional rivalry thing.

14 minutes ago, aztecsrule72001 said:

I have no idea why anyone would want to add non-fb schools like Denver or GCU. They might be in big markets but BB doesn't bring in that much money so there's no reason to add non-established programs when there is no competition for those schools out west.

There's only two basketball schools worth adding - Wichita and Gonzaga. Anything else is a non-starter.

1 hour ago, ViAggie said:

I would love to have Wichita (and Gonzaga) problem is we'd have to pony up $20 million to get them to leave the AAC... not worth it. 

That exit fee is almost certainly not enforceable in court. I am not a lawyer, but my wife is a lawyer who does lots of contract work. She says that courts generally do not enforce contracts that say, "If you breach this contract, you have to pay $X." In order to enforce such a contract, you would need to show that you suffered at least $X in damages. Given that ESPN is supposedly not reducing the AAC's contract even after losing UCF, Houston, etc., it seems extremely unlikely that they would reduce the contract by $20 million or more if Wichita left the AAC. So even if the exit fee is $20 million, it will almost certainly be negotiated down to a number that is far less than that. Indeed, if it goes to court, there is a high probability that the AAC will get nothing if ESPN does not modify their contract. So if the MWC were to offer to pay a few million to poach Wichita (or SMU, for that matter), there is a high probability that the AAC would accept it.

6 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

That exit fee is almost certainly not enforceable in court. I am not a lawyer, but my wife is a lawyer who does lots of contract work. She says that courts generally do not enforce contracts that say, "If you breach this contract, you have to pay $X." In order to enforce such a contract, you would need to show that you suffered at least $X in damages. Given that ESPN is supposedly not reducing the AAC's contract even after losing UCF, Houston, etc., it seems extremely unlikely that they would reduce the contract by $20 million or more if Wichita left the AAC. So even if the exit fee is $20 million, it will almost certainly be negotiated down to a number that is far less than that. Indeed, if it goes to court, there is a high probability that the AAC will get nothing if ESPN does not modify their contract. So if the MWC were to offer to pay a few million to poach Wichita (or SMU, for that matter), there is a high probability that the AAC would accept it.

Didn't Maryland have to pay a large exit fee to the ACC?  

53 minutes ago, swordsman1989 said:

GCU?! Are you serious? A for-profit diploma mill, with 78% of its students being online, headed by a CEO without a PhD? GCU is a stain on the NCAA and has no business being associated with real universities.

I would respect your opinion more if you were completely honest about it; you are a Christaphobe and you hate the fact that they are evangelical Christians. Just admit it. Own your bigotry, acknowledge your bigotry and overcome your bigotry.

7 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Didn't Maryland have to pay a large exit fee to the ACC?  

I don't remember. But the circumstances then were very different. UVa and UNC (and possibly Ga. Tech and Duke as well) were seriously considering following Maryland to the Big 10. If that had happened, that would have been a crippling blow to the ACC that could have caused them far more than $30-$40 million (or whatever the exit fee was) in damages. Maryland may have just decided to pay it to avoid the risk of a lawsuit that could have found them liable for even greater damages.

As an aside, I suspect that this may be the reason that grants of rights have become more popular in recent years. A grant of rights should be much easier to enforce in court because the main damages a conference suffers when it loses members are the loss of TV revenue. This may explain why Oklahoma and Texas aren't even trying to negotiate an early exit from the Big 12. Their lawyers advised them that they would probably lose the resulting lawsuit and owe a massive amount of money to the Big 12. To be clear, this is total speculation on my part based on my understanding of contract law. But it would make sense.

56 minutes ago, swordsman1989 said:

GCU?! Are you serious? A for-profit diploma mill, with 78% of its students being online, headed by a CEO without a PhD? GCU is a stain on the NCAA and has no business being associated with real universities.

They still got a team into March Madness, more bragging rights then many MWC schools 

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

I'm fine with Boise going west.  I really don't care about who's in what division.  What I don't like is all the west coasters arguing to bring Boise west, and adding a crap school to the conference to replace them.  Take Boise, nobody in the Mtn. will give a shit.  Just don't use it as an excuse to add a UTEP, UTSA, or NMSU to the conference.  Hell, we'll take UNLV or SDSU if you really have to have some sort of divisional rivalry thing.

I don’t want the MWC to add any football schools. Hell, I was hoping that if CSU and AFA wanted out they’d leave and push the conference farther west. 

2 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I would respect your opinion more if you were completely honest about it; you are a Christaphobe and you hate the fact that they are evangelical Christians. Just admit it. Own your bigotry, acknowledge your bigotry and overcome your bigotry.

No, the for profit sector has a very bad reputation in the world of higher education. The vast majority of for profit schools exist only to encourage their students to take out massive amounts of loans while leaving them with worthless degrees (if they get a degree at all). Denver left the WAC when GCU was added because they did not want to have any kind of association with a for profit school. GCU, to be fair, has been trying to reclassify themselves as a nonprofit and shed their image as a diploma mill. But I would not want to share a conference with a for profit school no matter how successful they are at basketball.

6 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I admit it. That said, it’s not the reason I don’t want them in the MWC. I don’t think GCU has anything in common with large state universities. They don’t have a football team. 

I think this is going to work out fine for the MWC.  Rather than blocking our expansion into Texas it's just going to delay it, and when we make our move we're going to be better positioned to choose the best additions.

The reason is simple.  According to Pete Thamel the incumbent eight AAC members intend to keep their annual $7 million per year per-school TV money payouts and give the six newbies only $2 million per school.  And while the plan is to gradually reduce the gap over time, the AAC's deal with ESPN just isn't big enough to close it over the ten years remaining on the contract.  Such a large and extended revenue disparity between the incumbents and newbies is an inherently unstable arrangement. It will create rancor and resentment, and should set the stage perfectly for the MWC to take advantage of its TV money increase a few years from now to cherry-pick away whichever of the AAC's new Texas additions is performing at the highest level.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I think this is going to work out fine for the MWC.  Rather than blocking our expansion into Texas it's just going to delay it, and when we make our move we're going to be better positioned to choose the best additions.

The reason is simple.  According to Pete Thamel the incumbent eight AAC members intend to keep their annual $7 million per year per-school TV money payouts and give the six newbies only $2 million per school.  And while the plan is to gradually reduce the gap over time, the AAC's deal with ESPN just isn't big enough to close it over the ten years remaining on the contract.  Such a large and extended revenue disparity between the incumbents and newbies is an inherently unstable arrangement. It will create rancor and resentment, and should set the stage perfectly for the MWC to take advantage of its TV money increase a few years from now to cherry-pick away whichever of the AAC's new Texas additions is performing at the highest level.

It’s called buying time. If SMU and Tulsa had a brain they’d be begging CSU trying to help them get into the MWC. 

12 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I don't remember. But the circumstances then were very different. UVa and UNC (and possibly Ga. Tech and Duke as well) were seriously considering following Maryland to the Big 10. If that had happened, that would have been a crippling blow to the ACC that could have caused them far more than $30-$40 million (or whatever the exit fee was) in damages. Maryland may have just decided to pay it to avoid the risk of a lawsuit that could have found them liable for even greater damages.

As an aside, I suspect that this may be the reason that grants of rights have become more popular in recent years. A grant of rights should be much easier to enforce in court because the main damages a conference suffers when it loses members are the loss of TV revenue. This may explain why Oklahoma and Texas aren't even trying to negotiate an early exit from the Big 12. Their lawyers advised them that they would probably lose the resulting lawsuit and owe a massive amount of money to the Big 12. To be clear, this is total speculation on my part based on my understanding of contract law. But it would make sense.

UConn had to pay almost the entire exit fee when they left the AAC. I remember arguing with @UofMTigers that there is no way they would pay the full exit fee. Because… courts! Attorneys! Well, they paid almost the entire exit fee. 

2 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson admitted this weekend that he had spoken to "four to six" schools while investigating potential expansion. Three of those were thought to be North Texas, UTSA and Rice with an aim of creating a stronger recruiting presence in Texas.”

Not exactly earth shattering news. The MWC has been looking at Texas ever since TCU left. They added Utah State/Boise to replace BYU/Utah. 

No need to make any rash moves right now like the AAC is doing. 

1 hour ago, swordsman1989 said:

:lol:

No to GCU but still :rotflmfao:

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

7 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Well stated. 

The Mountain West will be more than fine with the AAC following the failed WAC model to a T, then the MWC will have an airport meeting with whoever is the best two Texas schools.