Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

Dodd: MW will not expand for football

Dodd: AAC expansion

“Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said. Teams in the league earn an average of $5 million per year, and the MWC's current TV deal expires in 2026. 

"I don't understand the value of 14 [in the AAC]," said a high-profile source familiar with media rights worth of schools, "but more power to them."

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson admitted this weekend that he had spoken to "four to six" schools while investigating potential expansion. Three of those were thought to be North Texas, UTSA and Rice with an aim of creating a stronger recruiting presence in Texas.”

Just now, MWC Tex said:

Dodd

“Mountain West sources told CBS Sports on Monday night that the conference will not expand beyond the current 12 teams in football. MWC presidents see no value in adding teams. A contributing factor is that the MWC's rightsholders, Fox and CBS, would be unlikely to increase their contracts if the league expands, MWC sources said. Teams in the league earn an average of $5 million per year, and the MWC's current TV deal expires in 2026. 

"I don't understand the value of 14 [in the AAC]," said a high-profile source familiar with media rights worth of schools, "but more power to them."

MWC commissioner Craig Thompson admitted this weekend that he had spoken to "four to six" schools while investigating potential expansion. Three of those were thought to be North Texas, UTSA and Rice with an aim of creating a stronger recruiting presence in Texas.”

I wonder how this is going to affect CSU and AF if expanding into Texas was a condition of theirs for staying in the conference. Seems like they got outvoted by the rest of the presidents.

7 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

I wonder how this is going to affect CSU and AF if expanding into Texas was a condition of theirs for staying in the conference. Seems like they got outvoted by the rest of the presidents.

Was not a condition of staying in the conference.

This doesn’t preclude expanding for basketball schools. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Who would they replace them with in the Mountain Division then? Only Way Boise moved to the Western Division is if they expand

They would get rid of divisions altogether most likely. Also, for the record, Boise is 120ish miles west of Las Vegas. 

Reno is also further west than San Diego. Not relevant to this discussion, but a fun fact.

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

This doesn’t preclude expanding for basketball schools. 

Got that also when ,if quoted accurately, we would not expand for football…leaving a basketball addition open.

24 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Dodd: AAC expansion

This is the WAC after the 16 fell apart. That ought to last about 3 years. 

2 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

Who is added for basketball? Seattle? Gonzaga? Pacific? Denver? Wichita State?

SM and Gonzaga, although Denver would be w/in the footprint.  And the only reason we grab SM is to get Gonzaga, I bet it would work.  

4 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

Who is added for basketball? Seattle? Gonzaga? Pacific? Denver? Wichita State?

I hope all the focus is on trying to lure Wichita State. I know the AAC buyout is big for full conference members, not sure what it is for basketball only. I think it would be a hard sell. The AAC has a lot of tourney credits built up.  Gotta try though.

I don't think Gonzaga is reachable without improving the conference a little more first.

14 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

Got that also when ,if quoted accurately, we would not expand for football…leaving a basketball addition open.

That’s what I was alluding to

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

SM and Gonzaga, although Denver would be w/in the footprint.  And the only reason we grab SM is to get Gonzaga, I bet it would work.  

SM is in a perfect conference for its sports. No way it would move. GU and Wichita State and I get Wichita is on an island. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

SM is in a perfect conference for its sports. No way it would move. GU and Wichita State and I get Wichita is on an island. 

I would love to have Wichita (and Gonzaga) problem is we'd have to pony up $20 million to get them to leave the AAC... not worth it. 

9 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Denver/GCU and Gonzaga wouldn't be bad combos for Basketball. GCU in particular made it to March Madness recently and would expand the MWC footprint into WA and AZ

Denver and GCU are in the same category.as all the Conference USA schools we just passed on (or at least I hope we passed on them). They add no value to our TV contract and don't make the league appreciably better.