Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Hospital Rant. Working title: f*cking millennials

5 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

The Cyclists’ Style Guide states you’d better have knobbies on a gravel bike while on those road rides, or you’re breaking the 2nd Law of cycling fashion. Fashion maven, @Slapdad—who still wears sweaters draped across his shoulders to fall season soirées and dad jeans everywhere else except those rare occasions when he breaks all accepted fashion trends and clumps around in Uggs with his knee length summer dresses—will need to see photos of you in your road kit to determine if a fine or jail time is warranted. 

Bike fashion question: Is it ok to shave your legs if you ride a gravel bike?

18 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Bike fashion question: Is it ok to shave your legs if you ride a gravel bike?

Sure, but it’s not mandatory. I’ve ridden bikes fairly seriously for 30 years, road bikes for the last 25 of those, raced for 10-15 years in the middle, and shaved my legs exactly one time. Shave or don’t, it’s all a question of comfort to me, though if you’re a serious road racer (I wasn’t—far, far more mtn bike races) one might feel compelled to conform. 

Just now, Posturedoc said:

Sure, but it’s not mandatory. I’ve ridden bikes fairly seriously for 30 years, road bikes for the last 25 of those, raced for 10-15 years in the middle, and shaved my legs exactly one time. Shave or don’t, it’s all a question of comfort to me, though if you’re a serious road racer (I wasn’t—far, far more mtn bike races) one might feel compelled to conform. 

I've ridden mountain bikes for 25+ years, trained and raced up to 100km (62 miles for US folk), and never considered shaving my legs once...  

11 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

JK. I ride mostly mountain bike these days. I also don't see the need for a gravel bike. I'll just convince myself to get a super light x country bike instead.

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Not a brag, but rather a confession well beyond the statue of limitations...

It was not uncommon as a teenager to have a 12-pack of Coors Extra Gold as my copilot and I would eject empties out the sunroof. On the freeway. At 85mph. :ph34r:

I just took the kids there this summer. Stunning. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

JK. I ride mostly mountain bike these days. I also don't see the need for a gravel bike. I'll just convince myself to get a super light x country bike instead.

Ha! I got so caught up in giving stupid cycling advice that I forgot I’d posted about cycling fashion just a couple of hours before. 

Re bikes, I thought long and hard about breaking the mold when I finally got a trail bike a couple of years ago. I’d never owned anything other than an XC race bike up to that point, and though I knew I wanted longer travel, it seemed like too large a leap from ~100mm of travel to 150-160. I was ready to split the difference until I demoed a Rocky Mountain Element for three days. I ended up buying an Ibis Ripmo (fantastic rig) and can’t see myself ever buying a bike with closer to XC geometry again. Trail bikes are so damn capable. A gravel bike would be fun to add to the quiver, but I doubt I’ll throw down for that. Better to get a second pair of wheels for my new steel frame “comfort” bike and throw knobbies on it if I want to go that route. But I doubt I’ll do that either. Having suspension while riding dirt with rocks, potholes, washboard, etc is much more comfortable at this stage of my life. 

2 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Ha! I got so caught up in giving stupid cycling advice that I forgot I’d posted about cycling fashion just a couple of hours before. 

Re bikes, I thought long and hard about breaking the mold when I finally got a trail bike a couple of years ago. I’d never owned anything other than an XC race bike up to that point, and though I knew I wanted longer travel, it seemed like too large a leap from ~100mm of travel to 150-160. I was ready to split the difference until I demoed a Rocky Mountain Element for three days. I ended up buying an Ibis Ripmo (fantastic rig) and can’t see myself ever buying a bike with closer to XC geometry again. Trail bikes are so damn capable. A gravel bike would be fun to add to the quiver, but I doubt I’ll throw down for that. Better to get a second pair of wheels for my new steel frame “comfort” bike and throw knobbies on it if I want to go that route. But I doubt I’ll do that either. Having suspension while riding dirt with rocks, potholes, washboard, etc is much more comfortable at this stage of my life. 

Yeah, I’ve been riding a Scott Spark Plus and even with the mid fat tires, I’m just as fast if there’s any bumps compared to my light x country bike even if there are climbs. I doubt I’ll ever exceed that bike’s capability with my average bike handling skills.

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

I just took the kids there this summer. Stunning. 

Welcome to the thread. We all breathlessly await tips from the MWC Board’s most forward-leaning style setter.