Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

7 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

Not in football. Three out of four years TCU was in the CUSA the WAC was better. If TCU would have stayed the gap would have been even bigger.

Don't get me wrong the CUSA had markets/teams that would end up in big conferences in the future. BUT in the moment on the field the WAC was still better. 

Sorry, no.  TCU left for greener pastures.  The MWC gutted the WAC.  Our last year in the WAC our MOV was 25 ppg.  Our 1st year in CUSA we were a .500 team.  And when the Big East did the same to CUSA, we left for the greener pastures of the MWC.  We were unabashed social climbers.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I was cool with MWC adding North Texas. That's it. AAC just diluted their conference a ton.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

8 minutes ago, tenbobnote said:

Look on the bright side, now the MWC is forced to make the correct decision. So, it all works out in the end!

Yup...standing pat...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

This move might actually make Conference USA better if they can survive. It hurts their presence in Texas but they are losing a lot of dead weight. I assume they'll take New Mexico State and might try to coax a Texas school or two that just went to the WAC ,(if they can convince them to move up even further).

5 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

This move might actually make Conference USA better if they can survive. It hurts their presence in Texas but they are losing a lot of dead weight. I assume they'll take New Mexico State and might try to coax a Texas school or two that just went to the WAC ,(if they can convince them to move up even further).

Plan A wont be west, imo.  It'll be Liberty, App State and Coastal.  Then a 4th out west (NMSU, Tx State or ULaMon).  But it becomes a MWC/AAC situation, where it'll probably be seen as a lateral move.  If that play doesnt work, who knows.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Plan A wont be west, imo.  It'll be Liberty, App State and Coastal.  Then a 4th out west (NMSU, Tx State or ULaMon).  But it becomes a MWC/AAC situation, where it'll probably be seen as a lateral move.  If that play doesnt work, who knows.

No way Conference USA can pull away any Sun Belt schools. The Belt is the better conference and can pick any Conference USA school they want. Not sure if they will though. I guess Liberty could go to Conf USA, but I doubt it. Take a look at their payout. It's turrrible.

I think Aresco's plan is pretty clear.  Load up on schools in bigger markets and hope somebody breaks out.  If it works he is a genius.  If not, he has crippled the conference.

35 minutes ago, bigd said:

Wow this seems like an awful move by them, and really waters the league down. 

The AAC likes schools in or near Big Metros. These schools fill the bill.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

No way Conference USA can pull away any Sun Belt schools. The Belt is the better conference and can pick any Conference USA school they want. Not sure if they will though. I guess Liberty could go to Conf USA, but I doubt it. Take a look at their payout. 

Sun Belt is extremely top heavy.  But like I said its still probably a lateral move.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I've thought for at least a year that given Texas State's superior facilities, it's the tallest midget among the available schools from that state anyway.

UTEP? Meh, but they at least have decent basketball and who knows? Maybe adding the Minors would help the MW get the Sun Bowl somehow. To me, UTEP really should come down to whether they would move the needle on a new TV deal. Adding them certainly wouldn't increase the amplifier volume to 11 (although some of this conference's clueless presidents might think so) but even one notch higher would help.

I could accept UTEP - The Miners have a history with most of the MWC schools and are right there far as travel is concerned - And their BB program wouldn't be a bad add to the MWC ...........sort of the same with NMSU - long time ties to many MWC schools & an easy road trip for the MWC with 3 schools clumped together.

Both would be decent adds in BB more than FB - New Mexico plays both regularly, so being conference games only makes them better

That's if the MWC wants to add two FB teams..........otherwise the best route might be going for Gonzaga, Grand Canyon and look to boost MWC BB where it might become more nationally prominent - it might be easier for the MWC to make noise on the BB court - Gonzaga, SDSU are running now........and it might not take too much to get a few more MWC BB programs up & running since there's some good BB program history among the MWC members 

5 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Again is there sny evidence they will add all 6? Based on what I saw they are just the schools who applied

You usually apply when you know you got the invite 

Related image

3 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Again is there sny evidence they will add all 6? Based on what I saw they are just the schools who applied

OUT 'applied' to the SEC long after it was a done deal.  Same with the 4 schools headed to the Big 12.  Applications and acceptance came in the same week.  Heck - UCincy's 'application' was a one paragraph letter that basically said 'Can we join your reindeer games, please?'.

So they add all 6 unless Thamel and company got the story wrong.