Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

37 minutes ago, alum93 said:

If you would have told me 4 more schools were going to make the move up to B12,  i would have thought 1 or 2 MWC schools had a chance at winning the P5 sweepstakes. 

Not really, if you told me they were expanding by four schools I would have said SMU, Memphis, Cincy and then a fourth school in there. SDSU would make no sense for them and never though Boise would have a chance

38 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

They’d just move up I imagine. 5 CUSA schools left, if they add NMSU in all sports and Liberty for football that’s 7. Could try to add UMass for football and then get two WAC schools to move up? You’d have a much more Texas-based conference except for football.

The schools in the WAC for football aren't ready to move up yet, they have a plan for several years down the line but they wanted to move the entire conference up not the schools themselves. 

The Texas schools in WAC wasn't suppose to move until next year but Southland kicked them out when they found out they had joined the WAC so WAC had to form something quick and why they came to an agreement with Atlantic Sun for this season only to help them get a qualifer into the playoffs.

ODU wants a school closer to them, so that would point to possibly James Madison but with how unstable CUSA is now, would some schools want to join now that is the questions

23 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Why would the Texas schools jump now when they aren't ready when if they stay in the WAC they can build to FBS with a guarantee of already having that if the conference got good enough.

The remaining schools in the CUSA will be in pure survival mode.  There are only so many names left until you start having to look at the FCS schools that can move up.  It would seem to make sense for the WAC FCS schools to stick together in what looks like a decent basketball conference and make the move to FBS down the road.  But these are desperate times and who knows what incentives CUSA can throw out to make it to next year.

23 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Stability is in a lot of ways more important to schools in this situation. I think NMSU is happy in the WAC, now if they want to place their football in C-USA as football only maybe that could work. Liberty possibly but if for all sports, Liberty seems happy with Atlantic Sun, UMass football is teetering on non existance and I mean ODU probably would like it but CUSA really doesn't have good options right now.

Yea I didn’t really think the situation was that dire, but I suppose Marshall and Southern Miss figure it’s better to put themselves in a more stable situation, which I get.

And if ODU ends up in the SBC too then I think that’s actually better for CUSA; it gets rid of their northeastish schools and makes the conference more appealing to schools like NMSU or any other TX WAC schools.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Never said that 

But you prefer UTEP to Wichita State if the MWC could take one or the other? 

Again, Wichita State is a long shot but it seems probable that they are on the league's radar. We have to assume that UTEP is not an option right now because the league has said they are not looking at football schools. 

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I didn’t really think the situation was that dire, but I suppose Marshall and Southern Miss figure it’s better to put themselves in a more stable situation, which I get.

And if ODU ends up in the SBC too then I think that’s actually better for CUSA; it gets rid of their northeastish schools and makes the conference more appealing to schools like NMSU or any other TX WAC schools.

The issue with losing 3 schools and James Madison as an expansion target is it really reduces the thoughts for who to add at that point. NMSU, Liberty and UMass are the only Indy’s that need a conference. Where UMass is a far outlier.

they’d be down to 5 schools (UTEP, WKU, FIU, La Tech and MTSU) while needing 3 schools minimum to survive as a conference. It’s like the WAC when Boise, Fresno, and Nevada left then Hawaii left by choice after the additions of TXST, UTSA, Denver and Seattle were announced to be joining and the WAC prior was left with SJSU, Utah St, La Tech, NMSU, and Idaho.

The problem with CUSA this time as opposed with the WAC. There isn’t many schools this time from the FCS that want to or even can move up in the timeframe needed unlike Texas St and UTSA did for the WAC. The Texas WAC schools are going to take around a decade or so which is when the WAC wants to transition To FBS

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Gonzaga being able to call the shots in WCC is what will keep them out

What if the MWC struck a deal with Gonzaga, that if they joined the Conference, it  would allow them to have a separate espn deal, as long as their espn deal featured x number of MWC matchups played at their place. Then, most of Gonzaga games played at their new conference members would be broadcast by FOX1-2/CBSSN.

Would that be something other MWC schools would be ok with, in exchange for a new national marque team in the league? 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

50 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

But you prefer UTEP to Wichita State if the MWC could take one or the other? 

Again, Wichita State is a long shot but it seems probable that they are on the league's radar. We have to assume that UTEP is not an option right now because the league has said they are not looking at football schools. 

Obviously UTEP has FB & WSU doesn't so they aren't apples to apples 

Doesn't look like the MWC is wanting to add any FB, so that leaves UTEP & NMSU out along with UTSA, SMU & N Tx..........basketball means Gonzaga (first) and then maybe Wichita St - But if the MWC can land Gonzaga, not sure why Wichita St is a need 

21 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

The issue with losing 3 schools and James Madison as an expansion target is it really reduces the thoughts for who to add at that point. NMSU, Liberty and UMass are the only Indy’s that need a conference. Where UMass is a far outlier.

they’d be down to 5 schools (UTEP, WKU, FIU, La Tech and MTSU) while needing 3 schools minimum to survive as a conference. It’s like the WAC when Boise, Fresno, and Nevada left then Hawaii left by choice after the additions of TXST, UTSA, Denver and Seattle were announced to be joining and the WAC prior was left with SJSU, Utah St, La Tech, NMSU, and Idaho.

The problem with CUSA this time as opposed with the WAC. There isn’t many schools this time from the FCS that want to or even can move up in the timeframe needed unlike Texas St and UTSA did for the WAC. The Texas WAC schools are going to take around a decade or so which is when the WAC wants to transition To FBS

I don’t think CUSA is going to care about UMass being an outlier if the other option is to dissolve the conference. I’m not saying they will definitely survive, but they are going to do everything they can.

25 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Im thinking the same way. We want CUSA to survive as it is good to have leagues below yours to draft from. I think CUSA may have no choice but to go after some of those WAC schools, even if they are transitional. I would invite NMSU today as a bridge for UTEP (as long as UTEP is committed to the conference; I don't think they have a better option). Not sure if teams like JMU would come along or not. The only good thing is that the Sun Belt and AAC will basically be full after these rounds are over, so some teams will find CUSA the only option if they want to move up (and they are east of the Rockies). CUSA needs to stay above the WAC if they can. The teams that left the Sun Belt to come to CUSA are unlikely to go back. LaTech hates LaLa and LaMo,  so they aren't going anywhere. They do have a pretty good core. I think they'll be okay.

2 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

CUSA down to 6 teams.  SBC looking stronger than AAC.

They already have a better TV deal than CUSA (money and exposure). I wonder when they can re-negotiate? That AAC contract is gonna be an albatross. That and a bunch of shitty teams.

How CUSA survives after being raided by the AAC and SBC.

Remaining all-sports schools:

FIU (Miami, FL)

LTU (Ruston, LA)

MTSU (Murfreesboro, TN)

ODU (Norfolk, VA)

UTEP (El Paso, TX)

WKU (Bowling Green, KY)

Are joined by these all sports members:

Liberty (Lynchburg, VA)

NMSU (Las Cruces, NM)

This gets them back up to eight full time members and UTEP is no longer on an island by themselves.  Liberty is now a partner for ODU.

Add two football only schools:

UCONN (Mansfield, CT)

UMASS (Amherst, MA)

This gets your football up to ten teams.  The bulk have a rival for rivalry weekend.

Now for the rest of your olympic sports.  Both Texas-Arlingon and Arkansas-Little Rock are looking to move out of the Sun Belt (who is now focusing on Football).  That gives you ten teams in oly sports.  You could stop there or you could add a travel partner for FIU (Florida Gulf Coast?) and Missouri State (another football, new state and travel partner for UALR).

Outside of the FL schools, your conference is almost a straight line from El Paso to Norfolk.  

image.gif

Conference USA are currently in talks with Liberty and James Madison about joining CUSA which believes if they bring those two schools in, Marshall and ODU will remain with only Southern Mississippi leaving per Dodd at CBS Sports

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Conference USA are currently in talks with Liberty and James Madison about joining CUSA which believes if they bring those two schools in, Marshall and ODU will remain with only Southern Mississippi leaving per Dodd at CBS Sports

If I were Marshall, I'd run to SBC.  Not walk, run.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

37 minutes ago, BSUFiend said:

If I were Marshall, I'd run to SBC.  Not walk, run.

Marshall holds a lot of power. If they stay then C-USA would be much more regional for them, and it could return to being stronger than the Sun Belt. 

Liberty, James Madison, Old Dominion, and WKU are all regional games that Marshall would like to have. 

Appalachian State is really the only nearby school in the Sun Belt.