Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

What service and how would we do that as a member of the MW who has the right to sell our rights?

I'm hypothesizing.

CBS/Fox didn't pony up $40 mil a year to air MW squads in small markets. If Boise/SDSU had gone to the BE/AAC, I can guarantee the left over MW would be getting C-USA money. So, would a school like Wyoming be better off selling their rights to a tv station in the Denver Metro market ? A lot of their Grads do live there. How about UNR ? I'm sure they have a lot of alumni in the Bay Area. I'll bet they'd pony up for an Internet subscription. Same with UNLV fans in the LA and Phoenix areas.

I'm just curious if smaller market schools or out of market fan buys might derive more revenue in this manner than the traditional Conference tv contracts ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 minute ago, Spaztecs said:

I'm hypothesizing.

CBS/Fox didn't pony up $40 mil a year to air MW squads in small markets. If Boise/SDSU had gone to the BE/AAC, I can guarantee the left over MW would be getting C-USA money. So, would a school like Wyoming be better off selling their rights to a tv station in the Denver Metro market ? A lot of their Grads do live there. How about UNR ? I'm sure they have a lot of alumni in the Bay Area. I'll bet they'd pony up for an Internet subscription. Same with UNLV fans in the LA and Phoenix areas.

I'm just curious if smaller market schools or out of market fan buys might derive more revenue in this manner than the traditional Conference tv contracts ?

Right, is it better to have more national exposure but less favorable k/o times for locals or vice versa? Money gets a lot of attention so I'm guessing the current model is the one that would yield the most money. I think at the very least a thorough analysis of this question needs to happen so smaller conferences like ours can try to figure out if the current way is better or doing something like you mention would be optimal. I think the issue is the lack of population in the Mtn region of the conferences means the current model is preferred.

5 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Right, is it better to have more national exposure but less favorable k/o times for locals or vice versa? Money gets a lot of attention so I'm guessing the current model is the one that would yield the most money. I think at the very least a thorough analysis of this question needs to happen so smaller conferences like ours can try to figure out if the current way is better or doing something like you mention would be optimal. I think the issue is the lack of population in the Mtn region of the conferences means the current model is preferred.

Also many MW games just are not available on CBS/Fox. This weekends Hawaii/Utag game is only available on Spectrum and something called Team 1 Sports App. Also UNM has a lot of content on FLO.

If traditional platforms refuse to carry your game, you gotta go somewhere to engage your fanbase and make a buck.

Americans Mayor

Hawaii’s been PPV model, what’s seemed like a decade now.  And when I say PPV, like Hawaii residents need to pay $70 per game to watch. 

Pros: guaranteed revenue; you still get around 6 games a season on national tv; you protect somewhat the same in-game attendance ticket revenue; you ensure live sports production for the other sports; and given the aging fan base, a good alternative product for them that they are willing to pay for.

Cons: loss of casual fan exposure on tv, who normally would not pay for anything extra until they are really into it (ie UFC).  Growing up we were used to delayed telecasts and reading the newspaper, now people want instant and free.  

Wild Card: can Hawaii get picked up by a large streaming service that would create a larger subscriber base to lower the price of watching UH football (with a service many people have anyways for entertainment) while providing a marginal increase to revenues?  

8 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Hawaii’s been PPV model, what’s seemed like a decade now.  And when I say PPV, like Hawaii residents need to pay $70 per game to watch. 

O-U-C-H

That's heftier than attending live.

I would not subscribe at that rate. 

Is there a monthly or season ticket rate ?

Americans Mayor

58 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Also many MW games just are not available on CBS/Fox. This weekends Hawaii/Utag game is only available on Spectrum and something called Team 1 Sports App. Also UNM has a lot of content on FLO.

If traditional platforms refuse to carry your game, you gotta go somewhere to engage your fanbase and make a buck.

Right. Can't sell what no one wants to buy. The truth is some of the schools here are supporting others that struggle with scheduling games and getting eyeballs. That's the model right now. I think there are probably 4 or 5 schoosl in the MW who would prefer they get those rights back and sell them on their own but the others wouldn't see that as favorable so it doesnt happen.