Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

6 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I agree..They will be prime candidates of the WAC..However, most of his posts are about FCS schools coming to the MW..I pointed out that I don't think any of the FCS' are a prime target for the MW nor likely to be so in the future..

His big disagreement is anyone suggesting they go to the CUSA..

Well I think it’s pretty damn disingenuous to pretend that Montana’s situation is analogous to other schools that have worked their way up from the CUSA. He is clearly saying that he is fine with Montana having to work their way up, as long as it’s in a conference that makes some geographic sense and isn’t on the verge of collapse. I dunno, I just don’t see what is so terrible and/or entitled about that :shrug:?

It definitely ain’t like NDSU fans poo pooing the MAC, put it that way.

6 hours ago, RSF said:

I think the WAC/FBS talk is premature.  Keep in mind, two of those teams (Dixie State/Tarleton State) are still in the transition phase just to join FCS.  And another one (UT-Rio Grande Valley) doesnt even have a program yet.  The ironic part is UTRGV might have the best facilities available in the WAC - Edinburg just built a 7500 seat indoor arena (although that's not where their bball team currently plays), and there's also 10,000 soccer stadium that was built recently that will probably end up being UTRGV's football stadium.  They have a nice baseball facility as well.

And besides....with the makeup of WAC football, geography would be as big an issue as it would in CUSA.  Most of the schools are in Texas...and fun trying to get to some of those towns.  And guess what?  Joining the WAC means starting at the bottom.

Geography would be “As big an issue”? The WAC has schools in Florida, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee? 

25 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

You said rooting for/watching a team in Charlotte vs. Boone is functionally the same thing and it is not.

I don't even know what that sentence means. My point is that if your goal when expanding is to choose schools that will generate the best possible TV ratings, it is silly to simply choose schools that are located in large cities. Nobody believes that Georgia State is more valuable than Georgia or that UAB is more valuable than Alabama. Even if your goal is to choose schools that are located in the largest media markets, there is no reason to assume that a school located in the largest city in the media market will automatically attract more viewers than a school in a smaller city.

To be more specific, you act like nobody outside of Boone would ever watch an Appalachian game. That's just as silly as saying that nobody outside of Clemson would ever watch a Clemson game. Appalachian has alumni throughout the state of NC (including a huge number in Charlotte). Even though Boone only has a population of about 20,000, they still managed to sell out a 30,000-seat stadium every game. Charlotte can't fill their 15,000-seat stadium even when they play Duke. So you're going to have a very difficult time convincing me that Charlotte has more upside than Appalachian. Either ESPN forced the AAC to invite some second-tier schools to avoid raiding another ESPN conference, or the AAC simply did a horrible job of due diligence.

14 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I don't even know what that sentence means. My point is that if your goal when expanding is to choose schools that will generate the best possible TV ratings, it is silly to simply choose schools that are located in large cities. Nobody believes that Georgia State is more valuable than Georgia or that UAB is more valuable than Alabama. Even if your goal is to choose schools that are located in the largest media markets, there is no reason to assume that a school located in the largest city in the media market will automatically attract more viewers than a school in a smaller city.

To be more specific, you act like nobody outside of Boone would ever watch an Appalachian game. That's just as silly as saying that nobody outside of Clemson would ever watch a Clemson game. Appalachian has alumni throughout the state of NC (including a huge number in Charlotte). Even though Boone only has a population of about 20,000, they still managed to sell out a 30,000-seat stadium every game. Charlotte can't fill their 15,000-seat stadium even when they play Duke. So you're going to have a very difficult time convincing me that Charlotte has more upside than Appalachian. Either ESPN forced the AAC to invite some second-tier schools to avoid raiding another ESPN conference, or the AAC simply did a horrible job of due diligence.

That's a lot of words I'm not going to read. Peace be into you.

10 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Well I think it’s pretty damn disingenuous to pretend that Montana’s situation is analogous to other schools that have worked their way up from the CUSA. He is clearly saying that he is fine with Montana having to work their way up, as long as it’s in a conference that makes some geographic sense and isn’t on the verge of collapse. I dunno, I just don’t see what is so terrible and/or entitled about that :shrug:?

It definitely ain’t like NDSU fans poo pooing the MAC, put it that way.

If you followed the thread you would see I suggested that Montana stay in FCS until something popped up in the neighborhood.  Mr Grizfan agreed..However, he was suggesting that the MW should not expect FCS schools to work their way up to be invited to the MW..He said it was snobby . His argument was Big Sky schools have some wins over MW schools so they are ready now.

He wasn't just talking about Montana..He was also saying the Dakota schools could and probably should be MW targets now.

You hopped in when I said none of those schools are targets of the MW..He did just say they would be prime targets of the WAC.  I agreed with that.

His major complaint is FCS shouldn't go to CUSA..Fine...However, that is the only FBS conference with current vacancies..

3 hours ago, nvspuds said:

If you followed the thread you would see I suggested that Montana stay in FCS until something popped up in the neighborhood.  Mr Grizfan agreed..However, he was suggesting that the MW should not expect FCS schools to work their way up to be invited to the MW..He said it was snobby . His argument was Big Sky schools have some wins over MW schools so they are ready now.

He wasn't just talking about Montana..He was also saying the Dakota schools could and probably should be MW targets now.

You hopped in when I said none of those schools are targets of the MW..He did just say they would be prime targets of the WAC.  I agreed with that.

His major complaint is FCS shouldn't go to CUSA..Fine...However, that is the only FBS conference with current vacancies..

The snobby comment was directed at the comment we would have to suck it up in the C-USA to earn a shot in the MWC, sounded similar to the AAC saying "you're not good enough for us" and "we're better then you".

And not once did I say now, I'm aware of the TV contract issues and our own financial issues

3 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

The snobby comment was directed at the comment we would have to suck it up in the C-USA to earn a shot in the MWC, sounded similar to the AAC saying "you're not good enough for us" and "we're better then you".

And not once did I say now, I'm aware of the TV contract issues and our own financial issues

You said that Big Sky schools beat MW which indicated they would not be a drag on the conference..

I pointed out that moving up is really really really hard..It too Boise and Nevada many years to get to the MW.  

I do not think the MW is being snobby..I have nothing against the schools who wish to move up but I do not believe they are ready to jump from FCS to the MW.

There is so much more to conferences than just football..

23 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Correct, never said it would be happening anytime soon. This is more in response to the attitude of somehow we'd need to join the C-USA and suck it up to earn a spot in the MWC, which reeks of AAC snobiness 

theres more people in brooklyn than ur whole state...nobody cares...lol

zzzzz

3 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Why do you think Montana has never shown any interest in leaving the Big Sky for FBS ?

There was interest when the WAC was looking to expand, we entertained and looked into it and decided it was better to stay where we were at the time. Currently? Finances and even if we had the $$ lack of attractive landing spots.

21 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

I'd take Washington Grizzly Stadium over the majority of MWC ones, I mean who has a track around a football field anymore?

most peeple think montana was a quarterback...lol

nobody cares...lol

zzzzz

13 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

There was interest when the WAC was looking to expand, we entertained and looked into it and decided it was better to stay where we were at the time. Currently? Finances and even if we had the $$ lack of attractive landing spots.

NV and Boise State had exactly no trouble finding landing spots when they stepped up..Montana could have gone to the Big West and then the WAC..Neither school had high budgets or revenue when they jumped.

FINANCES!!  It costs a lot of dough to play in the MW..The NDSU guys admitted they simply can't afford an all sports invitation.  They want football only..I would guess you would want that too..

Hawaii is football only but they pay over a million bucks a year in subsidies to get that..

Would you Montana or any other FCS school seeking to come to the MW for football only be willing to pay subsidies for the spot?  I am not talking about travel distance..It is about exempting you from something has to pay for football only..

Would you consider that fair at all?

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

NV and Boise State had exactly no trouble finding landing spots when they stepped up..Montana could have gone to the Big West and then the WAC..Neither school had high budgets or revenue when they jumped.

FINANCES!!  It costs a lot of dough to play in the MW..The NDSU guys admitted they simply can't afford an all sports invitation.  They want football only..I would guess you would want that too..

Hawaii is football only but they pay over a million bucks a year in subsidies to get that..

Would you Montana or any other FCS school seeking to come to the MW for football only be willing to pay subsidies for the spot?  I am not talking about travel distance..It is about exempting you from something has to pay for football only..

Would you consider that fair at all?

My idea of wanting us and MSU to move up would be for all Sports not just Football. But again we're now retreading the fact it's not going to happen until at most next round of expansion and more likely the WAC (if they go FBS at that time) then the MWC. Doesn't change the fact I think it would be awesome to be playing WYO, Nevada and UNM every year.

2 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

My idea of wanting us to move up would be for all Sports not just Football. But again we're now retreading the fact it's not going to happen until at most next round of expansion and more likely the WAC then the MWC. Doesn't change the fact I think it would be awesome tonbe playing WYO, Nevada and UNM every year 

Fair enough..

Also Southern Utah is joining WAC next academic year as well.

WAC and the schools have a phase in plan where their ultimate goal is to move up but not all the schools there are ready to make the move now and I think if they did they would fall on their face. Montana or Montana St I don't think have the desire to move up, it takes a lot of finances to move up, but if they do want to move up they need to plan NOW for it. Don't jump head first into moving up with nothing ready.

For CUSA i would look at UMass, UConn and NMSU, yes it would stretch the conference, and won't look great but those schools are established at this level so they would have a better chance at surviving but as talked about before TV is playing a role in this because that is the most important part and their contract is coming up.