Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

1 minute ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Damn, I am really surprised that schools are leaving CUSA for the SBC. Looks like I got this one completely wrong. Is CUSA going to try and bring in NMSU and raid the WAC for a couple schools? Bring in Liberty and UMass for football-only? 

The WAC doesn't have any FBS schools.  They are all FCS.  How would that work?

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Yeah but it's crazy how quickly it happened. Half the Sun Belt fled to C-USA, only to have the Sun Belt pass them up.

It wasn't that long ago we were talking about an alliance with C-USA. I'm sure UTEP now regrets turning down membership so we added SJSU instead. 

did UTEP really reject the MWC???????

1 minute ago, alum93 said:

Besides NMSU...

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

Not really once CSU and AFA said no, the only place AAC really could look was CUSA and CUSA knew that as well as that is why they drafted that paper hoping the other two conferences would say sure which I think was a Hail Mary. 

If you would have told me 4 more schools were going to make the move up to B12,  i would have thought 1 or 2 MWC schools had a chance at winning the P5 sweepstakes. 

3 minutes ago, alum93 said:

They’d just move up I imagine. 5 CUSA schools left, if they add NMSU in all sports and Liberty for football that’s 7. Could try to add UMass for football and then get two WAC schools to move up? You’d have a much more Texas-based conference except for football.

2 hours ago, bigd said:

That would be absolutely brutal for C-USA. If the Sun Belt only added Southern Miss and Marshall, then JMU and Liberty likely would've been their main targets for backfill. 

If that rumor is true then all C-USA has left is:

FIU
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
UTEP
Western Kentucky

At this point who could they even add? Liberty and New Mexico State? Could they even find anyone else after that? That's a far flung conference, though it honestly might be an improvement competitively over the current C-USA. Would also have solid basketball. 

I'm sure WKU and MTSU are kicking themselves for leaving the Belt. I almost wonder if the MAC would consider adding them at this point? That would make it so there are only 4 non P6 conferences. 

Both WKY and MTSU are located closer to the MAC heart of Ohio than they are the far flung C-USA. I don't know if the MAC considers them to be MAC enough though.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

They’d just move up I imagine. 5 CUSA schools left, if they add NMSU and Liberty for football that’s 7. Could try to add UMass for football and then get two WAC schools to move up? You’d have a much more Texas-based conference except for football.

I guess...  Who the heck knows.  I prefer NMSU playing MWC schools in general in football as an indy and basketball in OOC.

31 minutes ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

On the other hand, just like the AAC, they have ESPN and east-coast bias and we don't.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I still think the dynamics really haven't changed much and we're still going to be chasing the AAC. Everyone laughing at them now and writing them off reminds me of when everyone laughed at them and wrote them off in 2013, and we all saw how that turned out. I would love to be wrong, because Aresco is obnoxious and so is their fanbase, but I can just see the ESPN hype machine turning a program like Charlotte into the next UCF.

Im afraid you are right :(

NMSU football is indy.  How would inviting WAC FCS schools work?  CUSA could get a grace period until they got to FBS status?

There's a two year grace period, IIRC.  But would any of the "random Texans" ditch the WAC for that?

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

There's a two year grace period, IIRC.  But would any of the "random Texans" ditch the WAC for that?

I have no idea.  I think the intent was for the WAC Texas additions to all move up together at some point later on.  

I guess...  Who the heck knows.  I prefer NMSU playing MWC schools in general in football as an indy and basketball in OOC.

Yea I’m not so sure it’s a positive move for you guys, but I imagine NMSU is literally already in talks with CUSA. We’ll see what happens. Now I’m rooting for the whole thing to fall apart and NMSU and UTEP to end up in the MWC, even though I know that’s a very unpopular opinion here.

Just now, alum93 said:

I have no idea.  I think the intent was for the WAC Texas additions to all move up together and some point later on.

Sounds about right to me.  Either that, or try to nudge Seattle, Grand Canyon, Cal Baptist and Utah Valley out.  

28 minutes ago, bigd said:

That very well could've been the case.

I thought I remembered that after BSU and SDSU left for the Big East and brought us down to 8 members, we initially offered USU and UTEP. But UTEP declined so we added SJSU. You could be right though, and I also believe that SJSU having a baseball team when USU and UTEP didn't was a factor. 

My recollection was in the MWC-CUSA "merger" Hair & Banowsky (from CUSA) went arond and toured schools. The merger failed but that UTEP was always going to be in CUSA cuz they wanted to be with other Texas schools and that we took SJSU. Not sure that UTEP rejected the MWC but who knows the truth????? Who remembers??????

2 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Yea I’m not so sure it’s a positive move for you guys, but I imagine NMSU is literally already in talks with CUSA. We’ll see what happens. Now I’m rooting for the whole thing to fall apart and NMSU and UTEP to end up in the MWC, even though I know that’s a very unpopular opinion here.

Well that's a total of 2 of us on here that would want that :-)   

6 minutes ago, alum93 said:

The schools that joined now for basketball want to move up down the road to FBS,  yes.  

I wonder if the WAC is at least gauging UTEP’s interest in joining and going Indy for football like you guys? I wonder if Tx State would be interested if UTEP was? Having 3 FBS schools could really get the ball rolling for the conference moving up. 

36 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Damn, I am really surprised that schools are leaving CUSA for the SBC. Looks like I got this one completely wrong. Is CUSA going to try and bring in NMSU and raid the WAC for a couple schools? Bring in Liberty and UMass for football-only? 

Stability is in a lot of ways more important to schools in this situation. I think NMSU is happy in the WAC, now if they want to place their football in C-USA as football only maybe that could work. Liberty possibly but if for all sports, Liberty seems happy with Atlantic Sun, UMass football is teetering on non existance and I mean ODU probably would like it but CUSA really doesn't have good options right now.