Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

For college football.  

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

53 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

So that plus the AAC deal would leave the (current 14-member) CUSA with these 6:

Western Kentucky

Middle Tennessee

Florida International

Old Dominion

UTEP

LA Tech

They’ll add NMSU, Liberty, and UMASS I assume? Maybe JMU?

35 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

Honestly, they’ve been the Kmart of conferences for a few years now, imo.

Yeah but it's crazy how quickly it happened. Half the Sun Belt fled to C-USA, only to have the Sun Belt pass them up.

It wasn't that long ago we were talking about an alliance with C-USA. I'm sure UTEP now regrets turning down membership so we added SJSU instead. 

1 minute ago, Dirtball said:

For college football.  

In some ways for sure. But kinda interesting that it may actually firm up MW and SBC membership while turning the AAC and CUSA off into Frankenstein versions of a conf. 

4 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

They’ll add NMSU, Liberty, and UMASS I assume? Maybe JMU?

There are rumors that the Sun Belt will add JMU and ODU. That would ultimately be the death blow to C-USA IMO, at this point it just depending on whether the Sun Belt wants them around.

If the Sun Belt doesn't add ODU, then I'm sure JMU and Liberty will be C-USA's top targets and best chance at survival. While they'd have some major outliers, a basic core of WKU, MTSU, JMU, Liberty, ODU, and La Tech is fairly geographically compact and can carve out a niche as a decent FBS conference. I suppose FIU helps for Florida recruiting, but UTEP would likely need to figure out some long term plans. 

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Well that shoots down that rumor. :D

Edit:  I read the tweet too fast and didn't pay close attention.

Anonymous sources close to decision makers say a move by JMU, Marshall, ODU, & So. Miss to the
@SunBelt is highly likely. Troy would move to the west and the Sun Belt East would be: JMU App State Marshall ODU Coastal Carolina Georgia Southern Georgia State

STACKED Conference

For me I have been saying Southern Mississippi because of their location would make it logical to me. I think uta griz was the one who said he saw about Marshall, but to me Marshall would work better in MAC if they wanted to expand. 

However yesterday the AD from Old Dominion talked to reporters saying they were working with C-USA to expand and add more schools so......

59 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Didn't the WAC want to start up an FBS football option?

These 6 already playing FCS under WAC name:

Sam Houston

Abilene Christian

Stephen F Austin

Tarleton

Dixie State

Lamar

That is their ultimate goal, but WAC commish said that was years down the line because they would have work with schools and all that. Southern Utah is joining WAC next year as well but they are nowhere near ready for FBS yet

Last someone had talked to the president and AD of James Madison they were happy but honest question if C-USA calls you now to be part of the conference would you want to take their phone call with how unstable CUSA is now?

I mean CUSA is now possibly losing schools to a conference that makes less money on their TV contract than CUSA does. What does that say about CUSA and really CUSA did this to themselves, many of the schools haven't been happy in the conference for a bit and I think were waiting for something to start all this.

But the doomsday situation for CUSA that I posted this weekend doesn't look that crazy anymore LUL

Now this is probably a no, but with the latest developments do you think MWC with many schools having a past with UTEP, would offer a olive branch to help them out? Maybe offer a deal where they would get less money than the other schools but could still be in the conference?

6 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

Now there's actually talk of JMU jumping to the Sun Belt among fans and rumors.

If they make the jump Sun Belt could be the better choice however I don't see Sun Belt, if Marshall and Southern Miss are going there, increasing more than what they have. 

2 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Sun Belt definitely looks like the main competition for the MWC at this point of the shake up.

Tough to say, really. The Sun Belt is full of small budgets and small markets, and all they have is football (they're an atrocious basketball conference and adding Southern Miss won't help). Other than Coastal, whose billionaire former football coach will keep throwing money at them, the rest of those schools are one bad hire away from being just as bad as the CUSA leftovers.

On the other hand, just like the AAC, they have ESPN and east-coast bias and we don't.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I still think the dynamics really haven't changed much and we're still going to be chasing the AAC. Everyone laughing at them now and writing them off reminds me of when everyone laughed at them and wrote them off in 2013, and we all saw how that turned out. I would love to be wrong, because Aresco is obnoxious and so is their fanbase, but I can just see the ESPN hype machine turning a program like Charlotte into the next UCF.

0mK6pGK.png

1 minute ago, BoiseStateOfMind said:

Tough to say, really. The Sun Belt is full of small budgets and small markets, and all they have is football (they're an atrocious basketball conference and adding Southern Miss won't help). Other than Coastal, whose multi-billionaire former football coach will keep throwing money at them, the rest of those schools are one bad hire away from being just as bad as the CUSA leftovers.

On the other hand, just like the AAC, they have ESPN and east-coast bias and we don't.

Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but I still think the dynamics really haven't changed much and we're still going to be chasing the AAC. Everyone laughing at them now and writing them off reminds me of when everyone laughed at them and wrote them off in 2013, and we all saw how that turned out. I would love to be wrong, because Aresco is obnoxious and so is their fanbase, but I can just see the ESPN hype machine turning a program like Charlotte into the next UCF.

Moral of the story,  don't pick against ESPN.  Seriously though,  UTEP got punched in the gut this week.  And things are still changing by the day.

26 minutes ago, B_Lootz said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought it was Utah State that was taken in place of UTEP. 

That very well could've been the case.

I thought I remembered that after BSU and SDSU left for the Big East and brought us down to 8 members, we initially offered USU and UTEP. But UTEP declined so we added SJSU. You could be right though, and I also believe that SJSU having a baseball team when USU and UTEP didn't was a factor. 

2 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Moral of the story,  don't pick against ESPN.  Seriously though,  UTEP got punched in the gut this week.  And things are still changing by the day.

No kidding, ESPN basically just destroyed C-USA. Pretty shocking actually, good thing we don't have any regional competitors. 

On the same note, I think our lack of a deal with ESPN is what will ultimately keep Gonzaga out. 

1 minute ago, bigd said:

No kidding, ESPN basically just destroyed C-USA. Pretty shocking actually, good thing we don't have any regional competitors. 

On the same note, I think our lack of a deal with ESPN is what will ultimately keep Gonzaga out. 

Gonzaga being able to call the shots in WCC is what will keep them out

18 minutes ago, bigd said:

Talk about cutthroat.  When Texas and OU dropped the hammer, i knew there would be changes.  I never guessed 4 teams from AAC would get called up and CUSA would be essentially destroyed though.  I figured based on numbers alone CUSA was relatively safe.  I don't think it's good for G5 football fans.  P5 conferences could care less.

Damn, I am really surprised that schools are leaving CUSA for the SBC. Looks like I got this one completely wrong. Is CUSA going to try and bring in NMSU and raid the WAC for a couple schools? Bring in Liberty and UMass for football-only? 

4 minutes ago, alum93 said:

Talk about cutthroat.  When Texas and OU dropped the hammer, i knew there would be changes.  I never guessed 4 teams from AAC would get called up and CUSA would be essentially destroyed though.  I figured based on numbers alone CUSA was relatively safe.  

Not really once CSU and AFA said no, the only place AAC really could look was CUSA and CUSA knew that as well as that is why they drafted that paper hoping the other two conferences would say sure which I think was a Hail Mary.