Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLVFan90

FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB to AAC

2 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's not much worse than what they deal with in the AAC right now, if at all, though.

No probably not, but also they are within or just one time zone removed - it's all CT & ET 

MWC would have PT MT & CT for BB ......which the MWC has MT PT & HT for football, but FB is a once every other year trip

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The WAC 16 was spread all over, but with the quad set up, you had 3 others schools in your area - adding one far off school doesn't make sense to me 

Hawaii is what it is being 4 hours on in the pacific from the west coast

What is the one far off school? Kansas is more in the MWC's footprint than any school in Texas. Wichita State and Air Force; Colorado State and Wyoming. Those are your travel partners and future quad option (though I sure hope they never go to 16).

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

No probably not, but also they are within or just one time zone removed - it's all CT & ET 

MWC would have PT MT & CT for BB ......which the MWC has MT PT & HT for football, but FB is a once every other year trip

I just can not see us offering to pay travel subs or WSU making it a requirement if they really wanted out of AAC.  Go to 14 oly schools with the Zaga, Wichita and pick any school.  Put them in the Mountain side, Move Boise to the Western side for olys.  Boom.  

32 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If the MWC goes farther into Texas to the central time zone........the MWC would be the only conference covering 3 mainland time zones & with Hawaii span 21% of the planets 24 times zones (5 of 24) 

CUSA has been in three mainland time zones for almost 20 years. El Paso is in the mountain time zone.

1 minute ago, Spot50B said:

What is the one far off school? Kansas is more in the MWC's footprint than any school in Texas. Wichita State and Air Force; Colorado State and Wyoming. Those are your travel partners and future quad option (though I sure hope they never go to 16).

UTEP in TX is is a 4 hr drive from ABQ & a 40 min flight - also the same time zone 

Wichita is not that far from Missouri 

1 minute ago, Ram1554 said:

CUSA has been in three mainland time zones for almost 20 years. El Paso is in the mountain time zone.

Yeah, guess that's their one outlier - UTEP is a better fit in the MWC & with schools they used to be tied with 

7 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

UTEP in TX is is a 4 hr drive from ABQ & a 40 min flight - also the same time zone 

Wichita is not that far from Missouri 

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Yeah, guess that's their one outlier - UTEP is a better fit in the MWC & with schools they used to be tied with 

Wichita State is beneficial to the MWC in basketball and maybe baseball. UTEP might be a better fit geographically, but NMSU is just as good a fit and they have a better basketball program. Both wouldn't add a red cent to the TV contract and suck at football.  Geography isn't everything. Try to add Wichita and if that doesn't work, stand pat. Stop lusting after programs that don't make the conference better. 

2 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Wichita State is beneficial to the MWC in basketball and maybe baseball. UTEP might be a better fit geographically, but NMSU is just as good a fit and they have a better basketball program. Both wouldn't add a red cent to the TV contract and suck at football.  Geography isn't everything. Try to add Wichita and if that doesn't work, stand pat. Stop lusting after programs that don't make the conference better. 

Only way i'd want Wichita is if Gonzaga came in also - the two would give the MWC a bump in BB 

Gonzaga should be target number 1  ......if Wichita is interested they would be a good number 2, but they aren't a must have like Gonzaga 

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Only way i'd want Wichita is if Gonzaga came in also - the two would give the MWC a bump in BB 

Gonzaga should be target number 1  ......if Wichita is interested they would be a good number 2, but they aren't a must have like Gonzaga 

So, you would take UTEP on their own but not Wichita on their own? You crazy.

1 hour ago, SalinasSpartan said:

13 is a weird number, but if it was a concern I am pretty sure Hawaii would be down to join the MWC for all sports if Gonzaga and Wichita were members. With 14 schools we probably do divisions for basketball, and they’d have most their games in the Pacific time zone. 

A chance to move UH basketball to a conference with Gonzaga, Wichita State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Nevada, Utah State, UNLV, New Mexico ... and with divisional play to keep our road trip costs and durations under control?  Darn right we would be down.  Where do we sign?

25 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

Another way to look at it-- what schools could we add that would instantly make the conference better and be a top tier team from the get go? Hint-- not UTEP.

Gonzaga and Wichita BB.  That's it.  And we might all get a 150k-250k a year raise from 3.9 mil in T.V. revenue to just over 4!!

43 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

The WAC 16 was spread all over, but with the quad set up, you had 3 others schools in your area - adding one far off school doesn't make sense to me 

Hawaii is what it is being 4 hours on in the pacific from the west coast

Time difference is three hours in summer, two hours in winter (we don't do Daylight Savings Time).

If you're talking flight travel time, it's around five hours average (a little more going west, a little less going east).

Wichita St did come to MWC first about joining in, but with all this talk,has Wichita St said anything about not wanting to be in AAC? I think on a board somewhere their AD and President said they were happy in AAC and did not anticipate any changes in the near term. 

Since Wichita st is only in AAC for basketball, does the school get a seat at the table about expansion or do they kind of sit on the outside looking in? Same with Hawaii

15 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Wichita St did come to MWC first about joining in, but with all this talk,has Wichita St said anything about not wanting to be in AAC? I think on a board somewhere their AD and President said they were happy in AAC and did not anticipate any changes in the near term. 

Since Wichita st is only in AAC for basketball, does the school get a seat at the table about expansion or do they kind of sit on the outside looking in? Same with Hawaii

Hawaii is an affiliate MWC conference member similar to Colorado College in women's soccer. 

Wichita St is a full conference member in the AAC (not just basketball-only). The affiliate members of the AAC that are analogous to Hawaii in the MWC are Navy, Sac St, ODU, Vandy, and Florida.

3 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

Hawaii is an affiliate MWC conference member similar to Colorado College in women's soccer. 

Wichita St is a full conference member in the AAC (not just basketball-only). The affiliate members of the AAC that are analogous to Hawaii in the MWC are Navy, Sac St, ODU, Vandy, and Florida.

None of those are analogous to Hawaii except Navy. That's the only other school that is football only. Having one sport in a conference for women's rowing is apples and oranges.

Wichita State is a full conference member that doesn't sponsor the sport that accounts for 70-80% of the conference's revenue. That matters.  It also matters to Gonzaga. If they leave their conference, they won't wield the power they once had unless they strike a deal.

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Their AD said they were "married to the AAC" a month ago, but that was before they added programs like FAU and UTSA who have worse gyms than some high schools and are overall terrible at basketball.

0mK6pGK.png

17 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

You didn't fit their footprint or competitive threshold 

We did not fit their footprint.  We did just OK competitively.  I think we might have been in the belt when we bent CSU over in the potato bowl.

9 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

We did not fit their footprint.  We did just OK competitively.  I think we might have been in the belt when we bent CSU over in the potato bowl.

It was your last season in the Belt iirc correctly.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor